Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new turf was brutal

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_13388718

I wonder if the players would rather have played on the artificial field turf. As a football official I get to work on a lot of artificial fields and I know I appreciate the consistent footing. My knees also feel better after working a game on field turf because the rubber pellets provide a nice cushion.

I've asked a lot of high school players if they prefer grass or field turf and almost all of them prefer the artificial stuff. I'm curious if college players have the same opinion as they tend to play on better quality grass than high school kids.

William "Bar None" Floyd on the FSU radio broadcast commented about how the grass hadn't been mowed in well over a month.

BTW, Floyd was comedy gold. I could listen to that guy call a game anytime, it sucked that it was BYU getting destroyed, but he was awesome.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Having played on both many times, field turf is 100 times better than playing on grass IMO.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

The only time I don't like field turf is during the summer. That shit gets so hot, you can't touch it. But it's superior any other time.

Also, visiting teams can't take a chunk of it home.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

In addition, I really like Jan Jorgensen. The BYU coaching staff might not be thrilled with how open and honest he is with the media, but as a sports fan, it's refreshing.
          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
            Having played on both many times, field turf is 100 times better than playing on grass IMO.

You missed out on paying on real astroturf. Thank heavens, that stuff was horribly brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
              The only time I don't like field turf is during the summer. That shit gets so hot, you can't touch it. But it's superior any other time.

So true about the heat during the summer. You feel as if you shoes are on fire if you are on that stuff during the month of August.
              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post

I've umpired baseball on it in the dead of summer and it's not the greatest. I've heard they have experimented with putting lighter colored pellets in the mix but haven't heard how that came out.

I also thought Jan's candor was refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  You missed out on paying on real astroturf. Thank heavens, that stuff was horribly brutal.
                  Yes but I was fortunate enough to practice on it to many times. Yes, that stuff was horribly brutal.
                  "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                    Yes but I was fortunate enough to practice on it to many times. Yes, that stuff was horribly brutal.

Stupid of me to presume. I forgot about the bubble.

Comment

I've umpired baseball on it in the dead of summer and it's not the greatest. I've heard they have experimented with putting lighter colored pellets in the mix but haven't heard how that came out.
                      Why wouldn't they go with green rubber pellets? That way the field won't look nasty in the rain like it did at Oregon.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Why wouldn't they go with green rubber pellets? That way the field won't look nasty in the rain like it did at Oregon.
                        Actually the Oregon turf is pretty nasty this is its 7th and final year, I don't think that was rain that made it look so bad.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          I think they recycle the rubber from tires for the pellets which is why they are black.

Comment

I think they recycle the rubber from tires for the pellets which is why they are black.
                            Correct answer for $500 in the Sports turf category
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                              Correct answer for $500 in the Sports turf category
                              Yes but there are other options for infill color depending on how much you want to spend. Since I started this thread I started reseearching the different systems and have also found that in addition to changing the color of the infill they are cooling fields with special irrigation systems.

Comment

Working...
                              X