Nineteen Hundred and Ninety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nineteen Hundred and Ninety

The last time Utah gave up 54 points to anyone was 1990, the first year of Ron McBride's reign of terror.

If I had woken up this morning with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't have been more surprised than I was with the final score of the BYU game. I expected FSU to give the mighty cougars a game, but Anthony and Cleopatra, that was a butt kicking.

One other important thought about the BYU game: Bronco Mendenhall looked like a Deacon wearing his father's BYU golf shirt. Those sleeves hit him halfway between the elbow and wrist. They looked like something Diana Ross might have worn to the Grammys in the late 70s. I'll bet he could have worn that shirt, quite modestly, as a nightgown. Just thought I would point that out.

In other news, I have found that I'm a real SOB when I watch the Mighty Utes on TV. I consider myself quite refined as a fan when I attend in person. I don't pass gas (loudly, anyway), I don't yell obscenities or make death threats to assistant coaches, I never, ever boo my own team, and I purchase my children the equivalent of the GDP of Costa Rica in refreshments such as Dippin' Dots. However, when I watch the Utes on TV I turn into a real jackass. If you are ever invited to my house to watch the Utes play an away game, I strongly suggest you turn down the invitation.

Props to the Ducks. They tried to give it away like a migrant worker handing out pamphlets on the Las Vegas Strip, but Utah couldn't take it. It seems to me the Ducks have plenty of athletes and they will win more, perhaps even enough to proudly represent the PAC in the Veg. With a first year coach whose name sounds like a golf caddy and a QB who makes Lance Rice look accurate as a thrower, that ain't half bad.

For the Utes, in general, they are currently squeezing two quarters and a nickel out of a dollar bill. I think they can be a lot better, and I think they will be a lot better. "The elements," as Dr. Watson said to Sherlock, "are coming together, sir." Or something like that.

Can anyone explain to me what in the name of Sam Hill Utah was thinking on the decision to go for it at the end of the half? I've thought about it now for pert near 48 hours, and I strenuously object to that decision.

I love that one corner for Oregon. Just a fantastic player. Therefore, I don't know why anyone would attempt to throw a fade in his direction with just one play to go until the end of the half. Anybody have any insight into that choice?

I have, to this point, believed that Terrence Cain can throw the deep ball, but hasn't had receivers that can create separation. I continue to believe that the receivers can't create enough separation, but on the occasions when they do, I'm not convinced Cain can hit them. On the post play in the first half, Jereme Brooks had enough separation to catch the ball, come to a complete stop, execute a quad salchow, pause for a showering of roses from his adoring fans, and fall gracefully into the end zone. Instead, Cain threw a short hop, Brooks couldn't fool the replay official, and no points at all.

I like that Utah continues to take shots down the field, albeit unsuccessfully. I don't know when they will complete one, but I wait with baited breath and a thin layer of perspiration coating both thighs.

Koa Freaking Misi is a beastly sort of man. High quality.

I thought Bob Johnson was all or nothing, and on Saturday it was about 10% to 90%, nothing with the big victory. I really like the guy, and he makes some absolutely breathtaking plays. However, on Saturday, ugh.

So Utah had a chance to win ugly in a tough environment against a team with equal or slightly better talent. Not bad. Not easy to swallow, but not terrible. Hopefully, it provides some lubrication to protect against viscosity and thermal breakdown. Or, to paraphrase Corky St. Clair:

"What the Oregon Ducks did was really... give the Utes a challenge, and it's a challenge that they are going to accept. It's like in the olden days, in the days of France, when men would slap each other with their gloves say, y'know..."D'Artagnan!"... y'know, "how dare you talk to me like that, you!," and smack 'em."

And also, at the end of the half, down two scores in a tough environment, TAKE THE FREAKING POINTS!!!!!!

Originally posted by Senioritis View Post
    Can anyone explain to me what in the name of Sam Hill Utah was thinking on the decision to go for it at the end of the half? I've thought about it now for pert near 48 hours, and I strenuously object to that decision.

And also, at the end of the half, down two scores in a tough environment, TAKE THE FREAKING POINTS!!!!!!
    Your coach answered this question last night and for only the 2nd time in 5 years I just thought he miserably failed to address the question and looked absolutely foolish in addressing it. He tried to say that he just expected to score and didn't apologize for it. Wrong answer.

Tough weekend for the MWC and the state of Utah in particular. The Ducks are just terrible, the Utes are rebuilding, the Cougars defense is who we thought they were (terrible) and the rest of the MWC sans TCU looks like the WAC. Ugh.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

I stopped reading this about 30 paragraphs in, but I do agree with you on Bronco's white shirt. First, he was rocking the scoop necked Gs. He has reverse-Stockton-itis. It is almost as though he asks Nike to make his sleeves extra long. All he needs is a blinking red crystal glued to his palm to look like an extra in Logan's Run.

Renew!
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

The first thing Senioritis rants about is BYU's loss.

Speaks volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post

Speaks volumes.
          I look forward to Senioritis's posts. The only reason I saw your post was because it was in a thread he started.

Speaks volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            I look forward to Senioritis's posts. The only reason I saw your post was because it was in a thread he started.

Speaks volumes.
            I like his posts, too. Just commenting that it's odd for a Ute fan to mention the BYU game first. I thought only those Utah fans who are BYU-haters first did that, and I didn't think Senioritis was one.

Comment

I like his posts, too. Just commenting that it's odd for a Ute fan to mention the BYU game first. I thought only those Utah fans who are BYU-haters first did that, and I didn't think Senioritis was one.
              OK, maybe I jumped you too soon. It didn't seem odd to me because what happened to BYU seemed a much bigger surprise than what happened to Utah and came up first in any conversations I had about BYU and Utah Sunday and today.

I think you if you were honest in your praise for Senioritis, then your "speaks volumes" was out of place wasn't it.

Comment

Actually the first thing he wrote about was Ron McBride's debut season.

JL reminds me of those people on Cougarboard who start threads about Utah with the Utah category, and when a Ute fan leaves a response, people like JL say "lol you read a BYU board? your obsessed with BYU!!! pwnd pwnd!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  I think you if you were honest in your praise for Senioritis, then your "speaks volumes" was out of place wasn't it.
                  No. "Speaks volumes" means something is relevant regardless of past history. Or at least that's what I thought it meant.

I could easily be wrong.

Comment

Speaks volumes.
                    Watch your mouth! Senioritis is a national treasure, he can post about whatever he'd like in whatever order he chooses.
                    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Speaks volumes.
                      You know you are just a dickhead. I am not sure why, but that is what you are. You are not funny. You offer very little in the way of insightful comments on either sports or politics. You have lockjaw, in much the same way as ex-ute with his imbecillic not fired up enough blather. Yet, because of the given freedoms we enjoy in this country you, and he, have every right to become like a pebble inside one of my jungle boots on a roadmarch. At first you are only slightly annoying, but by the 8th mile if you are not removed you are able to create such pain as to put me in a fetal position screaming "why...WHY!" So I should be nice to you and treat you in a Christlike fashion, but alas I am weak and to be even more honest I don't even think the Spirit is willing, because you are an annoying pebble dickhead!

Other than that I am sure you are a fine soul.
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        You know you are just a dickhead. I am not sure why, but that is what you are. You are not funny. You offer very little in the way of insightful comments on either sports or politics. You have lockjaw, in much the same way as ex-ute with his imbecillic not fired up enough blather. Yet, because of the given freedoms we enjoy in this country you, and he, have every right to become like a pebble inside one of my jungle boots on a roadmarch. At first you are only slightly annoying, but by the 8th mile if you are not removed you are able to create such pain as to put me in a fetal position screaming "why...WHY!" So I should be nice to you and treat you in a Christlike fashion, but alas I am weak and to be even more honest I don't even think the Spirit is willing, because you are an annoying pebble dickhead!

Other than that I am sure you are a fine soul.
                        Translation: Senioritis is a friend of mine, back off.

I see this a lot. It looks like not having any friends on a message board is a major detriment to one's experience there. Hmm.
                        Last edited by JohnnyLingo; 09-21-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Translation: Senioritis is a friend of mine, back off.

I see this a lot. It looks like any friends on a message board is a major detriment to one's experience there. Hmm.
                          Are you able to find your way to work in the morning or do they have to send a car for you? There must be some other activity that would reward you more than being here, like seeing what happens if you pee on an electrical outlet. You are such a tiresome buffoon that I can't even feign civility. Now that your "trying to be more normal" experiment has failed spectacularly, why not just own up to your inability to have normal interactions with other humans and move on from this site?

Find other ways to engage your brain. Lincoln Logs, a Lite Bright or some Play Dough are all well worth exploring. Try getting along with them.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                            Are you able to find your way to work in the morning or do they have to send a car for you? There must be some other activity that would reward you more than being here, like seeing what happens if you pee on an electrical outlet. You are such a tiresome buffoon that I can't even feign civility. Now that your "trying to be more normal" experiment has failed spectacularly, why not just own up to your inability to have normal interactions with other humans and move on from this site?

Find other ways to engage your brain. Lincoln Logs, a Lite Bright or some Play Dough are all well worth exploring. Try getting along with them.
                            It's odd... the "Lingo is intellectually deficient" argument is a popular one as of late, but no one's really bothered to prove it.

Me accusing Senioritis of being a BYU-hater first is not an illogical thing to do. If I came to this board and posted about the Ute loss first, then went on to talk about BYU, I guaran-frickin-tee you someone would call me out.

Senioritis' past gives him a certain immunity to attack. I just don't buy into that line of thinking.

Comment

It's odd... the "Lingo is intellectually deficient" argument is a popular one as of late, but no one's really bothered to prove it.
                              Nobody needs to bother. You do it just fine without any help from us.
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X