PDA

View Full Version : To my Ute brethern

FMCoug
11-15-2008, 05:52 PM
May you have a week full of anticipation of another 2004 type beatdown of the Cougars en route to a 2nd BCS bowl in 4 years.

May you gloat about how much better your team is to all Cougars you know all week.

May you engage in tantric fandom all week long so as to heighten the feel of the win.

These are my desires for you so that when your team loses yet again (hopefully on a 4th and 18 or Beck to Harline type of play) my joy will be complete.

OrangeUte
11-15-2008, 06:09 PM
and may your cogs rely on Austin Collie's magic this upcoming Saturday. Then, when the mighty and righteous crimson army comes, Austin and his band of merry men will be exposed.

Fiyero
11-15-2008, 09:24 PM
This Saturday, BYU will face their toughest opponent in 49 games. Utah will be facing their toughest opponent in 16 days, and their third toughest opponent of the season.

cougjunkie
11-15-2008, 10:11 PM
This Saturday, BYU will face their toughest opponent in 49 games. Utah will be facing their toughest opponent in 16 days, and their third toughest opponent of the season.

Third toughest of the season? You are still giving that Michigan win a lot of mileage.

LiveCoug
11-15-2008, 10:14 PM
this saturday, byu will face their toughest opponent in 49 games. Utah will be facing their toughest opponent in 16 days, and their third toughest opponent of the season.

lol!

TripletDaddy
11-15-2008, 10:24 PM
lol!

mercutio4ever is a riot.

BYU racked up its 3rd 10-win season in a row. not too shabby.

This Saturday should be a great game.

cougjunkie
11-15-2008, 10:36 PM
mercutio4ever is a riot.

BYU racked up its 3rd 10-win season in a row. not too shabby.

This Saturday should be a great game.

That is as many as Utah has in its history. Interesting.

Hot Lunch
11-15-2008, 10:41 PM

I am not just saying this to be a dick but in all honesty I still think TCU was a tougher opponent than Utah.

Fiyero
11-15-2008, 11:14 PM
I am not just saying this to be a dick but in all honesty I still think TCU was a tougher opponent than Utah.

Okay fair enough, because there are many who feel TCU ~ Utah, and few think Utah will win by 25. But who did BYU play in 2005-07 that was up to the same level of this year's TCU or Utah? Boston College? Oregon? Close, but not as complete.

Hot Lunch
11-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Okay fair enough, because there are many who feel TCU ~ Utah, and few think Utah will win by 25. But who did BYU play in 2005-07 that was up to the same level of this year's TCU or Utah? Boston College? Oregon? Close, but not as complete.

Well if you are going all the way back to 05.... Notre Dame of 05. They had a great O and decent D....

TripletDaddy
11-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Well if you are going all the way back to 05.... Notre Dame of 05. They had a great O and decent D....

Curious how M4ever strategically stops at 2005.

He could have gone back to 2004, which was the Ute BCS year. If we are talking about the most complete teams BYU has faced, why not include the 2004 Utes? Unfortunately it was also the year BYU played SC at home, with Bush, Leinart, and LenDale White, Shaun Cody, dwayne jarrett, steve smith, winston, justice, frostee rucker, etc...

so going back to 2004 would have totally obliterated Utah from being in the discussion.

I'm watching you, M4ever.....

UtahDan
11-16-2008, 08:46 AM

I tend to agree with this. Obviously we beat TCU but it took a few break to accomplish that. I don't expect us to dismantle BYU in the fashion TCU did. To me this game rides on the degree to which the Utah defense can slow the BYU offense.

I think BYU's secondary is below average to poor and that Utah will be good for a low 30's point total against it (though historically that defense plays its better against us). The real question is, what can the Utah defense do? Can it hold BYU in the 20s or will BYU get to the mid 30's?

Also, when Johnson turns the ball over how many points will it result in? If Utah can limit BYU to no more than 1 TD per quarter and gives up no more than a FG to turnovers, Utah wins.

Hot Lunch
11-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Curious how M4ever strategically stops at 2005.

He could have gone back to 2004, which was the Ute BCS year. If we are talking about the most complete teams BYU has faced, why not include the 2004 Utes? Unfortunately it was also the year BYU played SC at home, with Bush, Leinart, and LenDale White, Shaun Cody, dwayne jarrett, steve smith, winston, justice, frostee rucker, etc...

so going back to 2004 would have totally obliterated Utah from being in the discussion.

I'm watching you, M4ever.....

I was at that BYU/USC game. That SC team was such a good team. Probably one of the best College football teams ever.

cougjunkie
11-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I was at that BYU/USC game. That SC team was such a good team. Probably one of the best College football teams ever.

I was there as well and when T-Wat burned USCs secondary he ran over and gave me a high five. I didnt wash my hand for a month. Of course that was the only TD we scored.

Sizzle
11-16-2008, 09:22 AM
I think BYU's secondary is below average to poor

I think that is being generous. BYU secondary is downright terrible.

Looking at this game objectively, I don't think that either BYU or Utah is really a 'great' team. I can think of 5 BYU teams off the top of my head that would have probably beaten this BYU team. I am not familiar enough with Utah's history to say the same for them, but I haven't been overly impressed with Utah this year. Their win over OSU will still look nice on their resume if they end up winning the Pac-10, but it wasn't that impressive of a victory watching the game. Neither team is really great, but I think they are fairly equally matched.

I do think Utah is beatable. I think BYU can beat Utah. However, if you asked me to lay money on the game, right now I would put it on Utah. I think they have momentum, revenge and are playing for a BCS game. They always elevate their game against the Y. It should be a dogfight and it is probably the biggest game in the history of the rivalry. I hope BYU can pull it out. I give them about a 45% chance of doing it. SHould be a fun week!

cougjunkie
11-16-2008, 09:36 AM
I think that is being generous. BYU secondary is downright terrible.

Looking at this game objectively, I don't think that either BYU or Utah is really a 'great' team. I can think of 5 BYU teams off the top of my head that would have probably beaten this BYU team. I am not familiar enough with Utah's history to say the same for them, but I haven't been overly impressed with Utah this year. Their win over OSU will still look nice on their resume if they end up winning the Pac-10, but it wasn't that impressive of a victory watching the game. Neither team is really great, but I think they are fairly equally matched.

I do think Utah is beatable. I think BYU can beat Utah. However, if you asked me to lay money on the game, right now I would put it on Utah. I think they have momentum, revenge and are playing for a BCS game. They always elevate their game against the Y. It should be a dogfight and it is probably the biggest game in the history of the rivalry. I hope BYU can pull it out. I give them about a 45% chance of doing it. SHould be a fun week!

Utah has 4 wins by a fieldgoal or less and 5 by less than a touchdown. They are beatable.

FMCoug
11-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Utah has 4 wins by a fieldgoal or less and 5 by less than a touchdown. They are beatable.

I have been saying all along that Utah's undefeated season is because of one man. Louie Sakoda.

UtahDan
11-16-2008, 09:46 AM

There isn't a team in this country who can't be beaten. Who ever said Utah isn't beatable?

TripletDaddy
11-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I was there as well and when T-Wat burned USCs secondary he ran over and gave me a high five. I didnt wash my hand for a month. Of course that was the only TD we scored.

I was there, too.

Not sure if anyone remembers, but there was a free promo giveaway for that game.....blue #1 foam fingers.

I grabbed two of them, held them together, and made my own Fight On BYU V-for-victory sign, which I would wave when the BYU band played. Unfortunately, the band didn't get to play much that game. I think LenDale and Reggie both had over 100 yard and 1 TD each in that game. ouch.

cougjunkie
11-16-2008, 09:58 AM
There isn't a team in this country who can't be beaten. Who ever said Utah isn't beatable?

Nobody. I am just saying that they have had a lot of close games and obviously they deserve credit for winning those games. Time for that streak to come to an end.

smokymountainrain
11-16-2008, 10:29 AM

This may not have been CJ's point, but IMO, the point is, the Utes are far from a dominant football team. In fact, while they (by "they", I mean Sakoda) deserve credit for making the necessary plays to win games, they have been extremely fortunate to win some of those games.

Fiyero
11-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Curious how M strategically stops at 2005.

Look let me spell it out for you DDD, faithful (http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20690) Mormon and victim (http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24099) of Prop 8:

When I said that on Saturday, BYU will face their toughest opponent in 49 games, that meant that 50 games ago, BYU faced a stronger opponent. Hence the limitation of 49. 50 games ago, BYU faced the 2004 Utah team. 2004 Utah > 2008 Utah, end of story.

Your bringing up BYU's most recent game against your big brother's school was pointless because it was more than 50 games ago. Hence, they are not part of the equation.

You aren't in Mensa, are you?

TripletDaddy
11-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Look let me spell it out for you DDD, faithful (http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20690) Mormon and victim (http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24099) of Prop 8:

When I said that on Saturday, BYU will face their toughest opponent in 49 games, that meant that 50 games ago, BYU faced a stronger opponent. Hence the limitation of 49. 50 games ago, BYU faced the 2004 Utah team. 2004 Utah > 2008 Utah, end of story.

Your bringing up BYU's most recent game against your big brother's school was pointless because it was more than 50 games ago. Hence, they are not part of the equation.

You aren't in Mensa, are you?

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair CUF, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd posters take their life;
Whole misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their BCS strife.

Don't make me bust out my long sword, Mercutio.

Your friend,

Tybalt.

il Padrino Ute
11-16-2008, 04:20 PM
This may not have been CJ's point, but IMO, the point is, the Utes are far from a dominant football team. In fact, while they (by "they", I mean Sakoda) deserve credit for making the necessary plays to win games, they have been extremely fortunate to win some of those games.

I look at it this way:

Utes are 11-0
BYU is 10-1

Saturday will be a good game.

venkman
11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I look at it this way:

Utes are 11-0
BYU is 10-1

I give the utes the edge. I think they're slightly better than BYU, it's at home, and Whitt is great at getting his team ready for big games. That said, BYU is good enough to win, maybe with the help of a couple of ute turnovers.

il Padrino Ute
11-16-2008, 04:40 PM
I give the utes the edge. I think they're slightly better than BYU, it's at home, and Whitt is great at getting his team ready for big games. That said, BYU is good enough to win, maybe with the help of a couple of ute turnovers.

After the last decade or so - with the exception of 2004 and we'll go back far enough to include '96 - nothing we can take from what has happened in any of those seasons have any bearing on the U/Y game.

I'm just going to sit in my seat and enjoy everything about this game. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Brian
11-16-2008, 05:21 PM
After the last decade or so - with the exception of 2004 and we'll go back far enough to include '96 - nothing we can take from what has happened in any of those seasons have any bearing on the U/Y game.

I'm just going to sit in my seat and enjoy everything about this game. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Make sure you bring some balloons filled with diarrhea to throw at Rocky. He wont feel right unless he has some utes abuse him during the game.

Lucky dude. My mom and dad will be there, along with one brother. I'll be on my sofa, wishing I was there.....

il Padrino Ute
11-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Make sure you bring some balloons filled with diarrhea to throw at Rocky. He wont feel right unless he has some utes abuse him during the game.

Lucky dude. My mom and dad will be there, along with one brother. I'll be on my sofa, wishing I was there.....

I've found that a balloon filled with pudding is much better for throwing. It doesn't wobble as much during flight and therefore is much more accurate.

Look for me. I'll be the guy in red.

Brian
11-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Are they going to do the black out again?

il Padrino Ute
11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Are they going to do the black out again?

No. Thank goodness, no.

pelagius
11-16-2008, 05:53 PM
No. Thank goodness, no.

I thought the black out look pretty good on TV. Why don't you like it? too derivative?

Surfah
11-16-2008, 05:54 PM
No. Thank goodness, no.

You didn't like it? I thought it looked good. I mean it's not like they were Oregon Ducks unis or anything.

il Padrino Ute
11-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I thought the black out look pretty good on TV. Why don't you like it? too derivative?

Yep.

I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to sports. If black was a primary school color, then it would be fine.

Surfah
11-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Yep.

I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to sports. If black was a primary school color, then it would be fine.

I can understand that. This is why I hated the tan on BYU's unis a few years back. They're still not blue enough for me. I don't buy the deepest shade of royal blue line.

il Padrino Ute
11-16-2008, 05:59 PM
You didn't like it? I thought it looked good. I mean it's not like they were Oregon Ducks unis or anything.

It was fine for a one-time thing. I wore black, but would have preferred red.

I think my biggest complaint about it was the opponent. I believe black is one of TCU's primary colors. If it had been against a team like CSU or UNLV, it may have been better.

Surfah
11-16-2008, 06:00 PM
It was fine for a one-time thing. I wore black, but would have preferred red.

I think my biggest complaint about it was the opponent. I believe black is one of TCU's primary colors. If it had been against a team like CSU or UNLV, it may have been better.

Or BYU. I never thought of that being TCU's colors actually.

il Padrino Ute
11-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Or BYU. I never thought of that being TCU's colors actually.

BYU would have been a better opponent for the blackout, yes. It would also have helped feed zoobs' belief that Utes are dark-hearted and evil, eh?

Am I wrong thinking that TCU wears black pants when they're in purple jerseys?

OrangeUte
11-16-2008, 07:10 PM
if the utes had lost wearing the black (which is what i thought would happen)... then i would have been against ever bringing out the black unis again... however, it was successful so my preference is to pick the toughest non-byu game and break out the black unis for that game... byu game should always be red and white v. blue and white... they start messing around with that and i'll be pissed!

OrangeUte
11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
BYU would have been a better opponent for the blackout, yes. It would also have helped feed zoobs' belief that Utes are dark-hearted and evil, eh?

Am I wrong thinking that TCU wears black pants when they're in purple jerseys?

hahaha! i do like the evil connotation of wearing crimson, though --- iirc, the bible either says "though your sins be as crimson" or "be as scarlet"... (maybe both?)... but at any rate, red v. blue is where it's at in the good v. evil war in my opinion...

you're right about the tcu pants, btw... it is a featured color in their home unis.

smokymountainrain
11-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I look at it this way:

Utes are 11-0
BYU is 10-1

Agreed. The utes being at home give them the edge in my mind. That said, we can analyze this game to death, but at the end of the story, it will come down to who wins the turnover battle.