PDA

View Full Version : Ball St's coach is SDSU's new coach

scottie
12-14-2008, 09:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3768737

Probably a good get for the Aztecs, but how'd they trick him into thinking it was a good career move? Ball St. must not have much of their team back next year, and SDSU must have given him a big pay raise.

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM

Probably a good get for the Aztecs, but how'd they trick him into thinking it was a good career move? Ball St. must not have much of their team back next year, and SDSU must have given him a big pay raise.

This is a major story. SDSU has a good football tradition. There's no reason this guy can't make them a leader in the conference. This is the kind of hire I like, proven head coaching experience and success. Why didn't Washington grab this guy? Because they're idiots who care more about press clippings than winning, as we've seen for about ten years now.

ERCougar
12-15-2008, 01:52 AM

I think about anything's a step up from Ball St. Ball St does not support their football program well. I read a while back that until last year, the woman's BBall coach was making more than him.

Hot Lunch
12-15-2008, 08:29 AM
David Letterman is going to be pissed.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-15-2008, 08:32 AM
I think about anything's a step up from Ball St. Ball St does not support their football program well. I read a while back that until last year, the woman's BBall coach was making more than him.

I doubt SDSU has a quality school TV broadcast. I have a feeling this hire will start off good but end up being shot down and end up horribly.
W45DRy7M1no

cougjunkie
12-15-2008, 08:45 AM

Until last year he was the lowest paid coach in the whole school.

New Mexican Disaster
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I am surprised that Hoke went with SDSU. He was a hot enough name not to have to take a bottom of the barrell job like the Azzzzzztecs.

SteelBlue
12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
SDSU has a good football tradition.

Am I missing some sarcasm here?

Flystripper
12-15-2008, 12:31 PM
SDSU is a sleeping giant in the MWC. Plus who wouldn't want to live in San Diego?

myboynoah
12-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I remember years ago when SDSU was actually respectable and SC sucked big time. SI did some article on the two programs being on very different trajectories. They really got it wrong.

Surfah
12-15-2008, 12:58 PM
SDSU is a sleeping giant in the MWC. Plus who wouldn't want to live in San Diego?

I agree. If they could get someone to recruit a fourth of the talent around that school they'd be a major player in the MWC. I don't understand how they haven't been able to. Beautiful area. Beautiful girls. Beautiful weather.

SipiTau
12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
If there are any Aztec fans out there, they better enjoy their team while they still have it. D1 football @ the Cal State schools are an endangered species. It wouldn't shock me if SDSU lost their program in the near future.

SeattleUte
12-15-2008, 01:38 PM

No. SDSU had several perfect or near perfect seasons and a renown pro set passing style in the years immediately before joining the WAC. They even won the Wac a couple of times from Lavelle Edwards. Watch, a few years from now someone on some board somewhere will ask if someone else is "kidding" that Boise has a good football tradition.

RC Vikings
12-15-2008, 02:07 PM
I always found it interesting that the best player ever at SDSU came out of New Orleans. I wondered how LSU let him go and why he picked SDSU.

Flystripper
12-15-2008, 02:25 PM
No. SDSU had several perfect or near perfect seasons and a renown pro set passing style in the years immediately before joining the WAC. They even won the Wac a couple of times from Lavelle Edwards. Watch, a few years from now someone on some board somewhere will ask if someone else is "kidding" that Boise has a good football tradition.

I think you mistakenly quoted me. I remember Air Coryell. I think SDSU has a fine football tradition at least as far as the MWC goes (which is somewhat lacking). I think with the right coach and the right AD SDSU could become a very good team again.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-15-2008, 02:38 PM

SDSU is the 78th winningest program since 1978, Boise is 7th.
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1978&end=2007&rpct=&min=5&se=on&c1a=on&by=Win+Pct

They were great in the 70s though, of course they were they 11th best team from 1968-78 in terms of winning percentage Boise was 12th from 68-78.
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1968&end=1978&rpct=&min=5&se=on&c1a=on&by=Win+Pct

Yeah they beat LaVell a few times, I guess that is what makes for tradition. SDSU has no tradition, rather they have a couple of nice years and loads of potential. If SDSU was an NBA prospect it would be drafted in the lottery, BSU has never been bad since they started playing football. There is no comparison between the two teams tradition.

TripletDaddy
12-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I remember years ago when SDSU was actually respectable and SC sucked big time. SI did some article on the two programs being on very different trajectories. They really got it wrong.

SC sucked for about 18 or so years, so you will need to be more specific, please.

"suck" is relative, but by most accounts, them was some down years, for sure. When guys like Petros and Sultan are your leaders, you are in trouble.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-15-2008, 02:44 PM
SC sucked for about 18 or so years, so you will need to be more specific, please.

"suck" is relative, but by most accounts, them was some down years, for sure. When guys like Petros and Sultan are your leaders, you are in trouble.

Petros better announcer or tailback?

I vote tailback.

TripletDaddy
12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Petros better announcer or tailback?

I vote tailback.

Petros was actually a good player, he really was. But he wasn't a fantastic leader.

I don't really listen to him announce much because I either go to the game or watch SC on ABC, but I love listening to him and Money on the radio on my drive home. They like good music, they are funny, and they get surprisingly good interviews.

Petros has really done a job alienating himself from much the SC fanbase through his constant criticism of the program, esp Reggie and most especially Matt. He just does NOT like Matt at all.

For some odd reason, he seems to have a really relationship with Pete, though. Pete comes on the show weekly and they always have fun conversations.

Overall, I like Petros and find him to be funny, but I dig that bombastic style (surprising, I know). I do think he needs to tone down the constant criticism of SC. He certainly isnt helping the cause of his little brother out in San Pedro. Will he get to contonie the Papadakis legacy at SC football? Not if Petros keeps bagging on the school.

SteelBlue
12-15-2008, 04:01 PM

I think you overstate. I don't believe they've ever had a truly perfect season. I don't think they've had a great season since before 1963. They had some good offenses in the 90's but tradition seems a strong word overall.