PDA

View Full Version : Utes ink 4-star QB today

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 09:37 PM
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=74507&Sport=1

Sorry the headline is wrong. It's a solid verbal.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 09:41 PM

I am not big on recruiting J.C. guys. I am definitely not big on recruiting J.C. quarterbacks. Ratliff turned out to be o.k. for the Utes. Maybe this guy is next years starting q.b. From the numbers rivals is reporting he appears to be a pretty good athlete.

TripletDaddy
12-14-2008, 09:43 PM

He was recruited by some serious powerhouses. That was a real steal for the Utes.

TripletDaddy
12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I am not big on recruiting J.C. guys. I am definitely not big on recruiting J.C. quarterbacks. Ratliff turned out to be o.k. for the Utes. Maybe this guy is next years starting q.b. From the numbers rivals is reporting he appears to be a pretty good athlete.

Wasn't Sark a Juco? El Camino?

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Wasn't Sark a Juco? El Camino?

Yes he was but J.C. qb's that make an impact are few and far between. Sark was one. Josh Huepel for Oklahoma was another. I really can't think of many more that I would put on this list. Maybe Colt Brennan but he was originally a Colorado recruit. Can you think of any others?

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 09:46 PM

Sarkisian was JC.

I think Utah had to go JC this year. This guy is the highest rated JC QB in the country if you look at the Rivals list. Scanning that list it's interesting how many of the top 100 JC's are going to BCS schools. Of course the no. 1 rated JC player in the country is a major exception. (No. 2 is going to USC.)

Ratliff was not really a very good quarterback. Moreover, he wasn't on any lists and was hardly recruited.

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 09:47 PM
He was recruited by some serious powerhouses. That was a real steal for the Utes.

Why you cynical ... I oughta ....

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 09:48 PM
By the way scout.com has this guy as a 2 star with no offers from anyone.

http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87&p=8&c=1&nid=3750785

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Sarkisian was JC.

I think Utah had to go JC this year. This guy is the highest rated JC QB in the country if you look at the Rivals list. Scanning that list it's interesting how many of the top 100 JC's are going to BCS schools. Of course the no. 1 rated JC player in the country is a major exception. (No. 2 is going to USC.)

Ratliff was not really a very good quarterback. Moreover, he wasn't on any lists and was hardly recruited.

I am personally not a big fan of JC guys. I don't follow JC impact on team as closely with other programs like I do Utah and BYU. I would say only about 1 out 4 JC kids these 2 schools recruit really make an impact on their respective team.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-14-2008, 09:53 PM

It is nice that he is a December graduate, getting spring ball in will help a ton. I am not always as impressed with star ratings as others, Jeremiah Masoli was a 1 star kid and he will likely be in the top 3 QBs in the P10 next year.

CJF
12-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes he was but J.C. qb's that make an impact are few and far between. Sark was one. Josh Huepel for Oklahoma was another. I really can't think of many more that I would put on this list. Maybe Colt Brennan but he was originally a Colorado recruit. Can you think of any others?

Sark was JC only because he decided not to play baseball at USC. That's where he originally went. Had to go the JC route to get back in the sport.

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Sark was JC only because he decided not to play baseball at USC. That's where he originally went. Had to go the JC route to get back in the sport.

Does anyone know what Cain's personal history is?

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 10:09 PM
By the way scout.com has this guy as a 2 star with no offers from anyone.

http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87&p=8&c=1&nid=3750785

I would give more credence to a higher rating. There are so many players it's easy to see how a rating service could lose track of players. But if a service is a ware of a player and gives him a rating that means at laest they know SOMETHING. The Scout rating looks to me like a default.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 10:19 PM
I would give more credence to a higher rating. There are so many players it's easy to see how a rating service could lose track of players. But if a service is a ware of a player and gives him a rating that means at laest they know SOMETHING. The Scout rating looks to me like a default.

I can agree with this but I also look at who else has offered this guy. Both scout and rivals don't have him getting an offer from anyone besides Utah.

I am just not big on J.C. guys so it is hard for me to get excited about J.C. recruits. I have seen way to many that had a ton of hype just flame out. To me going the J.C. route shows you are desperate at that position which is why BYU will be signing some J.C. corners and linebackers and I won't be big on those guys and won't buy into the hype that some will give them until they prove something at the D1 level because like I said more J.C. guys flame out than those that make an impact on their respective team.

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I can agree with this but I also look at who else has offered this guy. Both scout and rivals don't have him getting an offer from anyone besides Utah.

I am just not big on J.C. guys so it is hard for me to get excited about J.C. recruits. I have seen way to many that had a ton of hype just flame out. To me going the J.C. route shows you are desperate at that position which is why BYU will be signing some J.C. corners and linebackers and I won't be big on those guys and won't buy into the hype that some will give them until they prove something at the D1 level because like I said more J.C. guys flame out than those that make an impact on their respective team.

Some go JC because they don't qualify academically.

All-American
12-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know what Cain's personal history is?

He was doing great until he killed Abel.

CJF
12-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Does the kid from Springville get back from his mission this year? Utah needs depth for next year at QB so this makes sense. If he wins the job in Fall camp I would be concerned though.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 10:22 PM

"Cain is Abel" What movie?

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 10:25 PM

I was thinking about this kid's name and the priesthood ban and wondering if BYU fans would heckle him as a fence sitter. Sadly, it starts already, on the day he's signed.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Yes and those guys are the ones that are to stupid to comprehend a D1 offense or defense and do not see the field because they don't know what the hell they are doing out there or, never make it to a D1 school because the can't get their AA.

All-American
12-14-2008, 10:30 PM
I was thinking about this kid's name and the priesthood ban and wondering if BYU fans would heckle him as a fence sitter. Sadly, it starts already, on the day he's signed.

Calm down. I don't even know if the guy is black or white. Heck, I didn't know his name was Cain. I was wondering who you were talking about.

The priesthood ban's been a dead issue for over thirty years now. Not gonna be that big of a deal.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 10:32 PM

I just went back at the last 3 years of signings for both BYU and Utah and looked at J.C. signings. BYU's list is pathetic. Last year 2 players they recruited contributed but in 07 and 06 pretty much nothing came from the juco guys in those classes. Utah was a little better with contributors from J.C. guys but not much.

CJF
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I just went back at the last 3 years of signings for both BYU and Utah and looked at J.C. signings. BYU's list is pathetic. Last year 2 players they recruited contributed but in 07 and 06 pretty much nothing came from the juco guys in those classes. Utah was a little better with contributors from J.C. guys but not much.

Rich and who else?

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Rich and who else?

Clawson

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 10:47 PM

You mean like Matt Asiata and David Reed for Utah, for instance?

CJF
12-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Clawson

Duh. Weren't both walk ons?

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 10:48 PM
BTW, Utah signed Aiono as a freshman two years ago.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
You mean like Matt Asiata and David Reed for Utah, for instance?

And Robert Johnson and Dustin Hensel. I think those were the only 4 in the past 3 years out of 15 to 18 juco guys that signed that IMO contributed.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Duh. Weren't both walk ons?

Rich yes with a promise as soon as one opened up it was his but I think Clawson had a schollie right away.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 10:53 PM
BTW, Utah signed Aiono as a freshman two years ago.

I bet Aiono get moved to D Tackle. He won't play in front of Kruger or Misi. Well unless he is that good.

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I bet Aiono get moved to D Tackle. He won't play in front of Kruger or Misi. Well unless he is that good.

Misi was JUCO.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Misi was JUCO.

Really? Scout has him as a High School signing in 05. If he was make 5 guys. I only went back to 06 when I looked previously because the 06 class if they had a redshirt finished up this year.

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Really? Scout has him as a High School signing in 05. If he was make 5 guys. I only went back to 06 when I looked previously because the 06 class if they had a redshirt finished up this year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/151894

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 11:03 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/151894

Was he like James Aiono then? Signed and didn't qualify then signed again when he did.

RC Vikings
12-14-2008, 11:04 PM

Steve Lindsey

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Was he like James Aiono then? Signed and didn't qualify then signed again when he did.

I don't know but I think we've established that Whit has gotten big value out of Jucos. I think Jucos are more stigmatized in basketball. I've seen them be consistently an important component of Utah's football program.

Hot Lunch
12-14-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't know but I think we've established that Whit has gotten big value out of Jucos.

I will agree Whit has gotten some big value out of some JUCOs but it really is only around 25% of those he brings in actually contribute and it seems that every JC guys signed by both programs is the savior according to most of the teams fans. So the odds are against them.

mpfunk
12-14-2008, 11:43 PM

Sark also worked out pretty well for the cougars. I think this is a pretty solid sign that the coaches are not satisfied with Louks. You don't recruit a guy like that to sit on the bench.

SeattleUte
12-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Sark also worked out pretty well for the cougars. I think this is a pretty solid sign that the coaches are not satisfied with Louks. You don't recruit a guy like that to sit on the bench.

If you say so Mr. glass is half empty.

Surfah
12-15-2008, 05:52 AM

Or maybe they just want to make sure Louks has a capable backup a la Jason Beck who was a JUCO transfer to help backup John.

DrumNFeather
12-15-2008, 07:01 AM
We've been down this road with a half a dozen Blinn products, only to find that they've gone somewhere else...Travis Cobb being the most recent. I probably won't get excited about this pick up until he is on campus and in uniform.

Sizzle
12-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Isn't that the Program? It has been years since I have watched that show, so I might be confusing it.

cougjunkie
12-15-2008, 07:20 AM
I am not trying to knock this kid he may be stellar, but I find it funny that he is called a "duel-threat" QB when he had 64 carries for 164 yards last year. I am guessing "Duel-threat" means African American.

Sizzle
12-15-2008, 07:21 AM
I am not trying to knock this kid he may be stellar, but I find it funny that he is called a "duel-threat" QB when he had 64 carries for 164 yards last year. I am guessing "Duel-threat" means African American.

Hey, those numbers are not against high school competition, that is top of the line JC competition.

Clark Addison
12-15-2008, 07:39 AM

I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book years ago, and I believe the answer is the Bourne Identity.

Hot Lunch
12-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Isn't that the Program? It has been years since I have watched that show, so I might be confusing it.

Ding Ding Ding Ding. That was the slogan they were going to use for their heisman campaign if I remember correctly.

SeattleUte
12-15-2008, 09:48 AM

Maybe sort of like some people say AA Juco means he can't audible, take in the entire field, imporovise, etc.

8BR
12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Can you think of any others?

Aaron Rodgers and Brett Ratliff both came from Butte College (JC) in Chico, CA.