After two games, the major keys to BYU's success are:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After two games, the major keys to BYU's success are:

1) relative healthiness - injuries killed BYU at DB & LB last year. Yes, Harvey has been out, and the OL has had people out, but so far neither could be classified as a problem that's really hurt the team.

2) An influx of DBs - specifically at CB.

Healthy LBs & DBs means that you can blitz a bit and expect the pass coverage to still be decent. We simply couldn't blitz by the end of last year, nor could we try to disguise coverages. The personnel we had on the field couldn't make up any deficiencies that might be caused by trying to do anything 'fancy.' It was standard cover-2 all game long - and BYU did nothing to hide that fact.

And on top of that, having good CBs (and Safeties) means that when you blitz or otherwise change things up on defense, there will be passes broken up and have guys tackled before they break out of the second layer of the defense.

By the end of last year, the Cougs were so banged up, Bronco's only alternative was to go plain-vanilla on defense and 'keep everything in front' of the defense. It became VERY predictable - enough so that marginal QBs simply picked BYU apart.

Now that BYU has healthy guys playing on D, a more aggressive style of play is available. Start with a solid D-line. Add in two guys who can cover at CB, dramatically immproved safeties, and a whole slew of healthy linebackers, and you've got a much less predictable defense that forces opposing QBs to have to actually make decisions on the fly and allows everyone to 'sell-out' a bit more in pass rush and pursuit to the ball. Defenders & coaches are now confident if they are aggressive and miss a tackle, there will be someone there to make the tackle behind him. It's how defense is SUPPOSED to be played. What we saw at the end of last year was not. But given the injury problems, I'm not sure Bronco had a choice...

I need to add one point -

The OL has been every bit as good as anyone could have hoped. Yes they are young. Yes they are thin. But even with all that, they have been very good. They dominated last week against Tulane, and held there own against what is arguably the best front 7 in college football against Oklahoma.

The OL was a MAJOR question mark before the season started. It isn't now. As long as injuries don't blow-up...

Comment

I can't tell if these effusive posts about our defense are from today or from last season, right around Week 2, 3, 4, or thereabouts.

Hey Kool-Aid! Oh, yeah!

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I can't tell if these effusive posts about our defense are from today or from last season, right around Week 2, 3, 4, or thereabouts.

Hey Kool-Aid! Oh, yeah!

Really?

Are you that in the dark abouu the status of BYU's DBs? They had major problems from week one last year.

Oh sorry - you're just being your normal jackassity self...

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
          Really?

Are you that in the dark abouu the status of BYU's DBs? They had major problems from week one last year.

Oh sorry - you're just being your normal jackassity self...
          Heaven knows I've longed for the day I could once again mock Trip for his egocentric online persona but I think the jury truly is still out on our DBs. I think we see some missed assignments this week and even some...<gasp>...downfield passing!

Oklahoma's offensive gameplan was frought with problems and Tulane's quarterback couldn't have played for my little league team. I'm hoping for the best but I'm expecting a bit of a let down. That said, the Cougs still win a relatively close home opener.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
            Heaven knows I've longed for the day I could once again mock Trip for his egocentric online persona but I think the jury truly is still out on our DBs. I think we see some missed assignments this week and even some...<gasp>...downfield passing!

Oklahoma's offensive gameplan was frought with problems and Tulane's quarterback couldn't have played for my little league team. I'm hoping for the best but I'm expecting a bit of a let down. That said, the Cougs still win a relatively close home opener.
            It's your lucky day.

Go get him, Tiger.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
            X