PDA

View Full Version : Is Auburn serious?

CJF
12-13-2008, 05:29 PM
They would rather hire a guy who is 5-19 as a head coach than Turner Gill?

il Padrino Ute
12-13-2008, 05:55 PM
It's certainly a bizarre hire.

Babs
12-13-2008, 06:00 PM
0-8 in conference this year, though the Cyclones did knock off South Dakota State in non-conference play.

When they announced yesterday that Auburn was "in contact" with this guy, I thought it had to be a joke.

il Padrino Ute
12-13-2008, 06:06 PM
The only thing I can even imagine is that Auburn wants some sort of sacrificial lamb to throw out there while football implodes for a few years. The trouble with that is that it would make finding a decent coach practically impossible.

CJF
12-13-2008, 06:06 PM
0-8 in conference this year, though the Cyclones did knock off South Dakota State in non-conference play.

When they announced yesterday that Auburn was "in contact" with this guy, I thought it had to be a joke.

When I first heard it I thought it was like the kid who announced on signing day that he signed with Cal. Except nobody at Cal had ever heard of him. I know Auburn fans have heard of him, but they all must be asking "WTF?" right about now.

Babs
12-13-2008, 06:07 PM
When I first heard it I thought it was like the kid who announced on signing day that he signed with Cal. Except nobody at Cal had ever heard of him. I know Auburn fans have heard of him, but they all must be asking "WTF?" right about now.

I bet they're saying that and a lot more.

creekster
12-13-2008, 06:12 PM

Whatever happened to that kid? WHat a weird story that was.

il Padrino Ute
12-13-2008, 06:13 PM

According to some of the Bama fans that have found their way over to utefans, Auburn fans are incapable of thinking, let alone speaking.

Babs
12-13-2008, 06:15 PM
According to some of the Bama fans that have found their way over to utefans, Auburn fans are incapable of thinking, let alone speaking.

You have a point. They may indeed be rendered speechless.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-13-2008, 09:14 PM

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010&t=3597463

I only read about the first 5 or 6 posts, it appears the Chizik honeymoon is already over. Ouch.

Babs
12-13-2008, 09:26 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010&t=3597463

I only read about the first 5 or 6 posts, it appears the Chizik honeymoon is already over. Ouch.

yeah. I'm not sure there was a honeymoon. It seems more like a shotgun wedding.

I have a friend who's an Auburn grad and a huge fan. I asked her what she thought, and she just looked kind of disappointed and said, "I don't even know what to think."

cougjunkie
12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
He was their D-coordinator for the 2004 team that went undefeated, he was also Texas D-coordinator when teams played Defense in the Big 12. For some reason Auburn thinks he didnt have a lot to work with up in Ames, so they are going to give him a shot with real talent.

CJF
12-14-2008, 08:30 AM
He was their D-coordinator for the 2004 team that went undefeated, he was also Texas D-coordinator when teams played Defense in the Big 12. For some reason Auburn thinks he didnt have a lot to work with up in Ames, so they are going to give him a shot with real talent.

Defense is not Auburn's problem. I would much rather have an unproven coordinator hired to come in and turn my program around then a proven and failed head coach. Turner Gill is out there and a proven offensive mind. How he loses out to a guy who only has 1 D1 win this year I'll never understand.

cougjunkie
12-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Defense is not Auburn's problem. I would much rather have an unproven coordinator hired to come in and turn my program around then a proven and failed head coach. Turner Gill is out there and a proven offensive mind. How he loses out to a guy who only has 1 D1 win this year I'll never understand.

Rumor is Turner Gill is not getting jobs because of his religious approach. Supposedly he makes Bronco Mendenhall look like Satan himself with how much religion he is factoring in to his coaching and recruiting.

CJF
12-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Rumor is Turner Gill is not getting jobs because of his religious approach. Supposedly he makes Bronco Mendenhall look like Satan himself with how much religion he is factoring in to his coaching and recruiting.

Interesting. Maybe BYU can hire him to replace Anae. We could really corner the market on firesides. Something for everyone.

Babs
12-14-2008, 09:58 AM

Right, but Les Miles and Urban Meyer and others have shown that a good coach should be able to improve a struggling team immediately, even with sub-par talent. Aside from previous affiliation with the school, I can't see any justification for this hire. It reminds me a little of A&M's hire last year.

RockyBalboa
12-14-2008, 10:20 AM
So they're doing this because he's an "Auburn Guy"?

This is a head scratching hire to say the least.

Then again, Ames, Iowa is probably the Logan, Utah of Big 12 Football, in that no one can really win there.

Surfah
12-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Auburn is just like so many teams in college and the pros who fire their coach without anybody in line to take over. The firing of Tuberville is one of the worst management decisions in sports in recent memory.

Coach McGuirk
12-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Auburn is just like so many teams in college and the pros who fire their coach without anybody in line to take over. The firing of Tuberville is one of the worst management decisions in sports in recent memory.

Tuberville quit. At least from everything I have read. They tried to convince him to stay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3744885

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/04/auburnad.tuberville.ap/index.html

CJF
12-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Tuberville quit. At least from everything I have read. They tried to convince him to stay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3744885

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/04/auburnad.tuberville.ap/index.html

That's the public story, but who pays over $5 million to someone who quits? Auburn was not obligated to give him a penny if he quit. He was forced out and everyone knows it.

Babs
12-14-2008, 12:43 PM
That's the public story, but who pays over $5 million to someone who quits? Auburn was not obligated to give him a penny if he quit. He was forced out and everyone knows it.

yeah. I've read repeatedly that he was fired. I don't have a problem with that if you're going to bring in somebody better, but this is a step backward, if you ask me.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-14-2008, 01:10 PM
So they're doing this because he's an "Auburn Guy"?

This is a head scratching hire to say the least.

Then again, Ames, Iowa is probably the Logan, Utah of Big 12 Football, in that no one can really win there.

Iowa State was at least competitive under the last coach most years, why did they fire him?

SteelBlue
12-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Whatever happened to that kid? WHat a weird story that was.

SI recently did an update on him. He's playing at a JC right now. They said it's not out of the question that he'll make a DI roster somewhere when he's done at the JC level but that he has a lot of work to do. They mentioned that he was very embarrassed and hoped to resurrect his dignity by making it to the next level.

New Mexican Disaster
12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
As a Bama fan I applaud the hiring of Gene Chizik, perhaps he will prove us wrong, but when I hear his name it sounds an awful lot like Mike Shula and Mike DuBose.

I have heard that Turner Gill was discounted because he didn't have SEC experience. The whole conference needs to get over itself.

RockyBalboa
12-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Iowa State was at least competitive under the last coach most years, why did they fire him?

If by competitive you mean winning 6 or 7 games and once in a blue moon upsetting a Top 25 team, then okay.

mpfunk
12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
As a Bama fan I applaud the hiring of Gene Chizik, perhaps he will prove us wrong, but when I hear his name it sounds an awful lot like Mike Shula and Mike DuBose.

I have heard that Turner Gill was discounted because he didn't have SEC experience. The whole conference needs to get over itself.

Auburn is absolutely correct. No way you can be a successful coach in the SEC without SEC experience.

Signed,

Urban Meyer

Donuthole
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
If by competitive you mean winning 6 or 7 games and once in a blue moon upsetting a Top 25 team, then okay.

Competitive is relative. Compared to what they've been doing the last 2 years, calling 6-7 wins "competitive" is almost an understatement.

CJF
12-14-2008, 06:36 PM

Translation......Auburn doesn't want a non-white head coach.

Babs
12-14-2008, 06:56 PM
The whole conference needs to get over itself.

No kidding.

What's the over under on this guy? If it's anything more than two years, I'll take the under.

Surfah
12-14-2008, 07:37 PM
This is Jacobs arriving back home after signing Chizik.

f7TxIMAwc1k

Babs
12-14-2008, 08:19 PM
This is Jacobs arriving back home after signing Chizik.

Nice. The guy looks like he just got back from a funeral. I think in eventual retrospect he'll look back on this as a prelude to his own. I'd guess his days are even fewer than Chizik's.