• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Feinstein rips the ACC

This one will leave a mark:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...r=emailarticle

Quote:
    The Mountain West is better than [the ACC is] right now -- see Brigham Young, TCU, Utah for starters. Heck, the CAA may be better than they are right now.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Air baaall air baall!
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      Air baaall air baall!
      lol! I bet LAU feels horrible about the lack of replies to his post.

Comment

Not really, just a little surprised no one seemed to think it was comment-worthy. It's a great piece and Feinstein is a superb writer. (You however, are both warthog-faced baboons and are each a miserable, vomitous mass. Not that I care about that.)

Maybe I should add some more goodies from the article to attract attention:

Entitled ACC Football Leads the Nation in Irrelevance, the piece makes the following sharp observations:
        Here we go again.

As in here we go with another fall of hearing the spinners from the Atlantic Coast Conference tell us how balanced the league is. Sure, the ACC is balanced -- apparently no one (again) is really any good.

Oh, sure, Virginia Tech played respectably in losing to Alabama. The Hokies may very well be the class of the league again and can play in the Orange Bowl against someone like Cincinnati or Rutgers in a game watched by dozens.

For all the preseason hype about all the returning quarterbacks and how this was going to be the year the ACC became important again -- although when exactly was the ACC important nationally outside of Tallahassee? -- it took exactly one week for the league to once again be exposed for what it truly is: a basketball league. Except for the fact that, outside of Chapel Hill, it hasn't been much of a basketball league since the now infamous football expansion of 2005. . . .

Let's review Week One in a league that deserves a BCS bowl bid most years even less than the Big 10 deserved the two it got last year.

The overall record was 4-6. The four wins were as follows: North Carolina over division I-AA Citadel (sorry, not using the silly new NCAA terminology); Boston College over Northeastern (also a division I-AA school); Georgia Tech over yet another I-AA, Jacksonville State; and Clemson, in the league's highlight game of the week, beating Middle Tennessee State. In short, the conference had one win over a division I-A team.

It did not, however, go undefeated against I-AA teams. The Duke apologists -- and they are legion these days -- will point out that Duke lost to the defending I-AA champions, Richmond. All well and good except that when your program is allegedly on the rise and people are screaming that this is the year you are going to "rise," to 6-6 and go to a bowl (yeah, sure), you aren't supposed to lose to any I-AA team. The good news for the Blue Devils is they get another crack at a I-AA opponent when they play North Carolina Central in a couple weeks. Maybe next year they can find a way to schedule 12 teams from I-AA and climb that 6-6 mountain once and for all.

Enjoy.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I enjoyed the article, LA. Don't let SU and YO hurt your feelings.
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I thought the article was very entertaining as well. There is not really much I can add to Feinstein's acerbic pen. (OK, keyboard.)

Comment

Working...
            X