How good is Oklahoma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is Oklahoma?

I'm wondering now, if Oklahoma is going to fall into the tank?

Luckily, they've got a few weeks with easy games, but as I reflect back on the game this weekend, their O-line was not very good. Not impressed with their passing game all that much, and their backs can't get holes opened to run through.

Now, that either bodes very very well for BYU, or Oklahoma is just not that good. Hopefully, it was BYU imposing their will on the Sooners to force the Oklahoma funk on offense.

The worst thing that I can see happening, is for Oklahoma to tank and only win like half their conference games. Their defense is stout and should be able to keep them in many games....but, Texas, Ok State, Texas Tech, even Nebraska...could really really be too much for the Sooners this year.

I am just hoping this isn't another false alarm like UCLA was for us last year.

How good is Oklahoma?
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

I don't think they pull a Pitt and flame out. They're still going to be quite good.

I guess it is all riding on Bradford's shoulder(s) though.

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
      How good is Oklahoma?
      Better than anyone Boise State will play this year. It is a pretty low threshold, but that is the best answer I could come up with this early in the season.
      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
        I don't think they pull a Pitt and flame out. They're still going to be quite good.

I guess it is all riding on Bradford's shoulder(s) though.
        1984 Pittsburgh averaged a paltry 16.2 ppg that year (that put them in the bottom dozen nationally). They lost Marino from the year before (and who knows who else) and their offense was atrocious. Pitt had a really tough SOS and paid the price.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

We're doing fine.

Comment

It's OK.
            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
              It's OK.
              A+!!!
              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

When was the last time OU really crumbled during the Stoops era? Their worst year was 2005 when they went 8-4.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that team didn't have basically their entire defense returning as well as two 1k yard backs and a Heisman QB come back. Bradford will likely be back for the Miami game and it looks like Bradford may be able to exploit that Miami defense.

Oklahoma is going to lose to Texas this year, there's little doubt about that. Their second most difficult game remaining is against Okie State and they get them in Norman. OU's line will have solidified at that point and they'll still have that defense, so I give OU at least a 50-50 shot in that game. TT is rebuilding and Nebraska needs to prove it can contend with the big boys. It's not impossible for OU to finish at 10-2, but 9-3 is probably more likely. That will be good enough to finish in the top 15 or so.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  When was the last time OU really crumbled during the Stoops era? Their worst year was 2005 when they went 8-4.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that team didn't have basically their entire defense returning as well as two 1k yard backs and a Heisman QB come back. Bradford will likely be back for the Miami game and it looks like Bradford may be able to exploit that Miami defense.

Oklahoma is going to lose to Texas this year, there's little doubt about that. Their second most difficult game remaining is against Okie State and they get them in Norman. OU's line will have solidified at that point and they'll still have that defense, so I give OU at least a 50-50 shot in that game. TT is rebuilding and Nebraska needs to prove it can contend with the big boys. It's not impossible for OU to finish at 10-2, but 9-3 is probably more likely. That will be good enough to finish in the top 15 or so.
                  Some of the details are off, but the gist is correct. The Sooners are 9-3 or 8-4, though they could surprised with a 10-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    Oklahoma is going to lose to Texas this year, there's little doubt about that.
                    Why? Don't they get Texas in Norman?
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      Why? Don't they get Texas in Norman?
                      LOL
                      The Sooners never get Texas in Norman. It's played in Dallas every year.

Comment

Lets say they go 7-5, and become unranked.

So, then....at the end of the year, does BYU get 'credit' in the strength of schedules as having beaten an #3 team?....or, do we get credit as having defeated an unranked team?

Early season polls are a double edged sword..can help or hurt you.

Also: random question about the Pass Interference penalty (hijacking my own thread!).

Seems as though when I was watching the BYU vs. OK game...if you received a pass interference penalty, it was placed at the spot of the foul.

But, when I was watching the FSU vs. Miami game...it was 15 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Which is it?....or, does it depend on the conference you're playing in?

I knew NFL was spot of the foul, but I thought in college it was 15 yards from the line of scrimmage....but in the BYU game?....not so??
                        "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                          LOL
                          The Sooners never get Texas in Norman. It's played in Dallas every year.
                          Okay, that is funny. I had no idea.

The lesson as always...I am an idiot. But my first question stands...Why is it a given that Texas will beat them?
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            Okay, that is funny. I had no idea.

The lesson as always...I am an idiot. But my first question stands...Why is it a given that Texas will beat them?
                            It just is. Texas, even on paper, was anticipated to be superior to Oklahoma this year. The first games made that painfully apparent.

Further, Texas has a HUGE revenge element to this game.

and further, 8 times out of ten the team that won the previous year wins this year.

All that together, it's considered almost a given that TExas wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              It just is. Texas, even on paper, was anticipated to be superior to Oklahoma this year. The first games made that painfully apparent.

Further, Texas has a HUGE revenge element to this game.

and further, 8 times out of ten the team that won the previous year wins this year.

All that together, it's considered almost a given that TExas wins.
                              Oh come on. It is over a month away and you are taking all of the fun out of it already.

BUCK UP, Sooner Girl!
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                              X