Anybody else impressed with Kariya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else impressed with Kariya?

I thought his performance was key to opening up our passing game. He didn't have a ton of yards, but he ran hard, held on to the ball, and made the OU D honest. Is he going to get many carries this year, or is he still just a backup for Harvey?
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    I thought his performance was key to opening up our passing game. He didn't have a ton of yards, but he ran hard, held on to the ball, and made the OU D honest. Is he going to get many carries this year, or is he still just a backup for Harvey?
    I asked this in another thread, but I don't think anyone answered.

What does Harvey do that Kariya cannot?

Comment

<--------------

Because of his performance he is my avatar for awhile.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Bronco was impressed as was I.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post

I am no expert. I can't look at a running back and tell you how good he is. However, Unga has gained over 2,300 yards as a Freshman and Sophomore. He has a 4.9 ypc over those 2 years. He is regarded by many as an NFL prospect. What are the chances that BYU has another guy sitting on the bench who is just as good as him, a guy who received no meaningful offers out of highschool, and the coaches just haven't noticed how good he is. Generally, if BYU has a RB who has the chance of playing in the NFL, that RB is starting.

So to answer your question, I would say that Unga can do the following things better than Kariya:

- He runs faster
          - He hits holes quicker and harder
          - He makes better moves
          - He sheds tacklers

Comment

Kariya did a fantastic job filling in on a minute's notice, but let's don't get carried away here. I can only assume if someone is asking what Harvey does better than Kariya that they are trolling.

On a side note, the OU game once again proved that our OL is incapable of consistently run blocking against a quality BCS defense. I'll give this OL a break because they are less experienced and are fighting through injuries and have no depth, but even Harvey wasn't going to light up OU if he were in there.
            Last edited by Indy Coug; 09-08-2009, 09:36 AM.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              Kariya did a fantastic job filling in on a minute's notice, but let's don't get carried away here. I can only assume if someone is asking what Harvey does better than Kariya that they are trolling.
              I'm not trolling. I'm just not sure Harvey would have gotten 5 ypc against Oklahoma's defense.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post

Harvey is bigger, stronger and faster. He has much better vision, he has better hands, he is a more proven back.
                *Banned*

Comment

Kariya will get some carries, but Harvey will be the main back.

I believe that you will see something akin to the 2006 season, when Tonga, Unga, and Fui all played substantial roles.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    On a side note, the OU game once again proved that our OL is incapable of consistently run blocking against a quality BCS defense. I'll give this OL a break because they are less experienced and are fighting through injuries and have no depth, but even Harvey wasn't going to light up OU if he were in there.
                    You've gotta give the oline more credit than that. They were going up against one of the top dlines in the country. They did what they had to. Max got decent protection and while they didn't get the running game going as well as I would have preferred, they did get a couple decent runs. I'm fairly optimistic that this will be one of BYU's better offensive lines.
                    "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                    —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Working...
                    X