Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since you are all fellating yourselves over the win

From Bruce Feldman
    The Brigham Young Cougars' victory over the Oklahoma Sooners on Saturday was their first over a top-three team since Sept. 8, 1990, when they defeated the then-No. 1 Miami Hurricanes.

It is hard to call someone a "BCS contender" after one game (the Florida Gators did lose in September last season, as well), but how realistic are BYU's chances of entering the national title discussion now?

Reason to trust Bruce Feldman: So far (with Sunday/Monday games still to go) he's 15-4 on his first Saturday picks. So to see what he thinks about the futures of BYU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Florida, LSU, Alabama and other programs, you must be an ESPN Insider. Insider

First: Don't dismiss the win, saying it was fluky because OU's Sam Bradford didn't play for half the game. The physical BYU defense, after all, was the reason Bradford couldn't play. While Bradford was in the game, the offense didn't have a play of more than 18 yards.

I was also impressed by how well the Cougars' suspect O-line held together against a deep and talented Sooners defensive front. OU managed four sacks and got a lot of pressure, but it wasn't like BYU's game against TCU last season. QB Max Hall was superb, lighting up the OU defense for 328 yards. He converted on three key third-down plays and a fourth-down play on the Cougars' game-winning drive. The performance is even more impressive when you factor in that BYU was missing starting running back and back-to-back 1,000-yard rusher Harvey Unga, who was held out of the game nursing a hamstring injury.

BYU's current position is interesting: The Cougars have already beaten one top-five opponent and are likely to get three other ranked teams (FSU, TCU and Utah) on their schedule. Two of those three figure to have a shot at being ranked in the top 15 when they play BYU. (If FSU beats Miami on Monday night, it would help the Seminoles' case.)

If the Cougars can run the table, BYU could -- could -- have a résumé that compares well to anyone's. Heck, it might sound blasphemous, but that résumé might have twice as many wins over top-20 opponents as the résumé of the Big Ten winner -- especially if it's the Penn State Nittany Lions. Even Florida, with one of its top opponents (Georgia) losing Saturday, might not end up beating four top-20 teams this season, and that could

include an SEC title game opponent.

Right, it's waaay early, but we'll see.

The other side of the coin: Oklahoma

Many have pointed out the Sooners' recent struggles in openers -- they also lost to TCU a few years ago -- and in bowl games. So, in games in which Bob Stoops and his staff have a good amount of time to prepare, their performance isn't great. That's a little harsh, but it is what it is.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly Bradford can get back. My colleague Seth Wickersham texted me something related to this, saying that former Utah QB Alex Smith had a similar injury a few years ago and it was "brutal" because it hurts like heck and makes the QB wonder if he's damaging his arm for good.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

The Miami goal line stance last night, upsetting FSU, didn't help the BYU National Championship Campaign.
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

You can fellate yourself?
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

ask marylin manson.
        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
          The Miami goal line stance last night, upsetting FSU, didn't help the BYU National Championship Campaign.
          I don't think it hurt that much either. By the end of the season I am sure FSU will be in contention for the ACC title. All the decent teams are in the other division: GT, UNC, VA Tech. I am sure they'll hang around in the top 25.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

You know why dogs lick themselves, don't you?

Because they can

Edit: No support for spoiler tags.

Comment

funny headline

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

funny headline
                LOL...!
                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                  You can fellate yourself?
                  I've been waiting for a Ute to explain this. I figure one of those Red Rocks had shown them how to do it so they would be too busy to stalk them any longer.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Working...
                  X