Belated thoughts on the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belated thoughts on the game

I caught the game in a bar while out of town, so I thought I'd offer a few late thoughts after watching it again.

Robert Anae - still needs to figure out not to always run right behind the motioning tight end, but I was very glad to finally see some screens, and effective ones at that. Really happy with the majority of the play calling. I like the tendency to run it up the middle on 2nd and 1, but don't like running it up the middle on 3rd and 1 quite as much, at least against that D-line.

Secondary - Amazing job here. Rich is legit, and I was also really impressed with Bradley. I'm wondering if the D-Line/LBs should get a lot of the credit here as well, since it seems that they did a better job getting a push than last year.

Tonga - When he gets the ball he looks like he'd be better used on the ballroom dance team. However, he did a great job in pass protection and lead blocking. Hopefully he can learn how to run north and south soon.

Defense - I really like what I'm seeing here overall. I hate to believe that they can play like this every week, but I don't see why not. The blitz packages are much, much better than we're used to as BYU fans, so giving Hill the reigns seems to have been a great improvement. OU was pretty conservative in the first half and Bradford didn't have a lot of opportunities to open it up, so the secondary will definitely face much greater tests this year. Still, if the LBs and line continue getting that much pressure, the secondary might not have to be great. Very optimistic here, but cautiously so.

Offense - Hard to tell how good they'll be, but I really like the balance among receivers. I'm not one who thinks Collie leaving was a good thing, but balance sure is and I love it. Kariya is a great surprise, but I'd rather not have a walk-on starting at tailback and am excited to see Unga at full strength against FSU, as I think we'll need a running game against them. I'm very impressed with the OL. They didn't seem spectacular, but the sacks tended to be Hall's fault and against such a great D-line they were great. Hall still needs to work a bit on getting rid of the ball quickly, but you can't ask for much more than he gave.

Overall - Sure, OU isn't the same without Bradford, but they have two really good running backs that we contained very well, and we kept Bradford mostly under wraps during the entire first half that he played. I happen to think that not having Unga for the whole game is just as bad as not having Bradford for half of it, so no sympathy there (as it applies to this game). Penalties were roughly equal, we had a field goal taken away, and we also had 2 more TOs than they did including a fumble into the endzone from the 2 yard line, so I'm really not buying anything about those hardships from OU. BYU was simply the better team.
Working...
X