Nice recognition of the MWC's top three in a Big Ten paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice recognition of the MWC's top three in a Big Ten paper

This article in the Cleveland Plain-Dealer is pretty good. Some choice quotes:
    With wins by BYU over No. 3 Oklahoma and Boise State over No. 16 Oregon to start the season, BYU (Mountain West), Boise State (WAC) and Utah (Mountain West) are now 5-1 against nonconference top 25 teams since 2006, and the one loss was by Boise State to TCU (Mountain West) in a bowl game last season. Throw TCU in this group, and that's a powerful top four from conferences without BCS guarantees.

That's 5-1 with two wins over Oregon, two over Oklahoma and one over Alabama. Yes, the Sooners went down Saturday without Sam Bradford, but only because the BYU defense knocked him out of the game with a clean second-quarter hit. You crunch the Heisman Trophy winner, you reap the benefits, no excuses necessary.

In that same period of time, the Big Ten is 6-19 against nonconference top 25 teams. Think the bottom of the Big Ten is unfairly dragging that record down? OK.

Since 2006, BYU, Boise State and Utah's winning percentage against nonconference top 25 teams: .833 (5-1).

Since 2006, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan's winning percentage against nonconference top 25 teams: .364 (4-7).

If you have any reason to believe the Big Ten winner will be better than the WAC or Mountain West winner this season, you're lying to yourself.

Until Saturday night, I don't think BYU had contributed too much to the MWC record against OOC top 25 teams, but still, the MWC record is now looking very good.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Originally posted by Cleveland Newspaper View Post
    You crunch the Heisman Trophy winner, you reap the benefits
    do these comments seem crass to anybody else? or am I just that sensitive? I keep seeing glib remarks like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
      do these comments seem crass to anybody else? or am I just that sensitive? I keep seeing glib remarks like this.
      Yeah, that made me cringe.

It was a clean hit, but he couldn't made his point by expressing it differently.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I've seen a few comments like this too and I think it's bizarre. It's not like completely outmatched teams never get a clean hit on the quarterback.

I'd much rather them mention that the score was tied at that point, we had outgained OU by 100+ yards, and OU had yet to put together anything resembling a drive.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          I've seen a few comments like this too and I think it's bizarre. It's not like completely outmatched teams never get a clean hit on the quarterback.

I'd much rather them mention that the score was tied at that point, we had outgained OU by 100+ yards, and OU had yet to put together anything resembling a drive.
          I was actually talking about the diction; but you actually have another legit point - that he's undermining the rest of what BYU accomplished first half.

Comment

I was actually talking about the diction; but you actually have another legit point - that he's undermining the rest of what BYU accomplished first half.
            Sportswriters are . . . well, not really journalists in the same sense as most journalists are. They get to invent verbs like "crunch."

As for the hit, having enjoyed an AC sprain myself, it seems to me you get those just by landing a certain way, not because of a hard hit. To say BYU won because they separated Bradford's shoulder seems pretty far off the mark, for a number of reasons.

But the rest of the article is nice for fans of MWC teams.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

If it was the Ravens knocking out Roethlisberger for a couple weeks with a grade two shoulder separation, would it seem crass?

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                If it was the Ravens knocking out Roethlisberger for a couple weeks with a grade two shoulder separation, would it seem crass?
                the word crunch? yes.

Comment

I looked back over it, and realized that the entire thing is just really poorly written.

Comment

The WAC

does NOT belong in this discussion.

I really don't like them mixing Boise State in with the MWC. It is completely unfair to the MWC to put the WAC on the same level.

The WAC is nothing more than BSU. The MWC is strong with Utah, TCU and BYU. Colorado State looked good against CU.

Look no further than SJSU and Nevada. They were also supposed to be top WAC teams and were completely outclassed. I can understand SJSU getting beat, but Nevada getting embarrassed like that at ND??? Really?

Comment

Hell yes it would! Those cheap shoting bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                        does NOT belong in this discussion.

I really don't like them mixing Boise State in with the MWC. It is completely unfair to the MWC to put the WAC on the same level.

The WAC is nothing more than BSU. The MWC is strong with Utah, TCU and BYU. Colorado State looked good against CU.

Look no further than SJSU and Nevada. They were also supposed to be top WAC teams and were completely outclassed. I can understand SJSU getting beat, but Nevada getting embarrassed like that at ND??? Really?
                        I disagree. I think the article is about non-AQ schools. That's why BSU is relevant (probably more so than BYU).

And I don't see how you can begrudge Nevada for getting whacked in South Bend. ND is a top 25 team, playing at home, against a WAC team who is half way across the country. Sure, maybe they could have put SOME points on the board, but I doubt you really expected that to be a close game.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                        X