Week 1: BYU v OU: You Started to Believe/You Knew It was Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 1: BYU v OU: You Started to Believe/You Knew It was Over

Just curious to compare notes. I think it will be fun to do after each BYU game this season (we can also do them for Ute games since most of us watch both games, anyway).

All kidding aside, I think it is fair to say that BYU was not expected to win and OU was expected to roll. However, as is the case in any historic win, there is a certain time in the game when the tide shifts.....a key turnover, a big play, a personal foul that ignites the opposition....something happens that makes you think...."ok, we can do this."

Similarly, there is a key point in the game when you know....and so does the other team....that you are going to win. Granted, sometimes it doesn't happen until the last play, but other times you can tell earlier.

When did it happen for you?

I started to believe: My belief kicked in at the end of the first half. As Bradford went down, I noted to my Sooner cohort that BYU managed to hold last season's historic potent offense to 7 points. Our defense had been excellent and was keeping us in the game. As Bradford rolled around on the ground, we all hoped we were not seeing the end of a brilliant college career. But I have to admit, I thought to myself, "you know what.....we can win this thing. We can seriously win this thing."

I knew it was over: Goal line stand, you have 5+ shots into the end zone, two 1000 yard rushers to carry the ball for you, and you keep getting stopped. But when they didn't get the snap off for a delay of game, pushing them back, it seemed to rattle them. Something told me at that moment that we were going to win the game. Obviously we were still losing at that point, but I felt like we had stood toe to toe and had literally taken their very best punch. And it didn't phase us. We were going to win the game. I have a feeling this is the moment when Sooner fans officially bit off their fingernails, as well. But for me, the delay of game is when I knew it was over.

When did you start to believe?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

I sent a text to Sizzle in the second quarter that said BYU is starting to believe that they can hang with these guys.

I am not sure when the turning point exactly was but at the beginning of the game I told my brother in law if we are within 21 points I will be happy with a loss.

At the end of the third quarter I turned to him and said that I had reached the point where if we dont win I will be pissed.
    *Banned*

Comment

I started to believe: When Kariya put his head down, bowled into two OU defenders and moved them backwards 2 yards. When I saw BYU wasn't intimidated and were more than willing to stand toe to toe, I believed they had a chance.

I knew it was over: When the field goal was missed. I refused to believe it was over until then.

Although I was really hoping that BYU would run a Statue of Liberty to win the game. That would have been sweet.

Comment

I started to believe: At 8:40 PM last night I posted on Facebook "I believe!"

I think this was at about halftime after Bradford went down. But I was starting to believe before then. I'd say the TD to George to tie the game up with 2-3 minutes left in the half is when I thought to myself "holy sh*t" we're in this.

I knew it was over when: I knew we'd win when the penalty backed up OU to 3rd and 14 pushing them back out of FG range if BYU got one more stop. I texted FN Phat on that last drive that BYU needed a penalty to back them up. After that flag he texted me "You have spoken my son." And so it was.

I was biting my nails until then, even after we had gone ahead on THE DRIVE and had just stopped OU 7 times on the goal line. I had visions of BYU and Boise State when Payne, after being a hero and laying out Chris Carr not once but twice, shanked the game winning FG to walk off the smurf turf losers.
        Last edited by Surfah; 09-06-2009, 09:20 PM.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

I started to believe: When OU's O-line showed how green it was around the gills w/ all those false starts, Bradley broke up that key 3rd and long, and Oklahoma punted.

I knew it was over: That quick 4th down slant play that went to Pitta. The offense really showed its teeth and I wasn't afraid of Oklahoma scoring-- even w/ the botched ensuing kickoff-- because the D was NAILS all game and I knew we'd just come right back at em even if they did hit the FG.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Started to believe: End of first half and we were not only close, but stopping their offense.

Knew it was over: When FG was missed. I am pessimistic.

Comment

I started to believe: When we held Oklahoma to 3 and out on the first series. I thought, we have a chance.

I knew it was over: 4th and 4 completion to Pitta to the 6.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

I started to believe: When Bradford got injured (because of the effect, not cuz I was hoping for it).

I knew it was over: When I figured out that OU had only one timeout left (kinda a giant glaring omission there, Mr. I-Have-The-World's-Largest-TV) and did the clock math.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

My night was a little different. I had some hope until the first interception. After that, I very nearly turned the TV off because I didn't want to sit through another meltdown.

I started to believe: I'm not totally sure, but at some point it sank in that even though they'd make mistakes, they'd fight hard and minimize them.

I knew it was over: When we scored the second TD. After that, I figured the defense wouldn't let OU score again, though my resolve did waiver a bit when the kickoff went out of bounds.
                  Not that, sickos.

Comment

With a little rewriting

I started to think that we wouldn't embarrass ourselves when Oklahoma punted before picking up a first down.

I started to think we could make a game of it when we got within field goal range.

I laughed at myself for thinking that we'd make a game of it when we left three points on the field after a delay of game penalty.

I started to think that something strange was afoot when BYU stopped Oklahoma early in their next drive.

I thought the universe had set itself straight again when McKay Jacobsen fumbled the punt return.

I started to hope that BYU would at least score before game was over when Oklahoma went up 7-0.

I started to prepare to face the music when Max Hall threw the first pick.

I started to look for moral victories when at the end of the first quarter, BYU was only down 7-0.

I thought we would at least make things look respectable when they then forced a fumble.

I wondered if I was asking for too much when McKay Jacobsen caught the long pass.

I started to get angry at the fact that we, frankly, should have been ahead of them when Chambers fumbled at the one.

I started to believe when I realized that I had started to get angry at the fact that we, frankly, should have been ahead of them.

I started to get wildly optimistic when Koriya took us deep into the red zone.

I started going crazy when we tied the score.

I was slightly irritated when two dumb penalties put Oklahoma in position to score before the half.

I was disappointed when Bradford went down.

I had my money on BYU to win when they went in at the half down only three.

I started pulling my hair out when both teams elected not to play offense during the third quarter.

I knew we would win when we forced the field goal after the goal line stand.

I started going nuts when a brilliant play call and execution thereof saw Pitta screaming towards the end zone after converting on fourth down.

I experienced joy specifically reserved for translated beings when Hall found Jacobsen by himself in the end zone.

I wondered if we would find a way to blow it when Payne kicked it out of bounds.

I wondered why on earth Oklahoma would throw it so much with three minutes left, two timeouts, and only twenty five yards to field goal range when they were throwing it with three minutes left, two timeouts, and only twenty five yards to field goal range.

I knew we had not blown it when they missed the field goal.

My memory began to be hazy from the euphoria when BYU knelt on the ball for the last time.

I bought six "Cowboys Classic" t-shirts when I saw BYU fans raiding the stadium stores.

I derived immense pride from my ultra-hoarse voice when I told my friends at church where I had been for the previous 24 hours.
                    Last edited by All-American; 09-06-2009, 10:03 PM.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

That's beautiful, AA. Well done.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        That's beautiful, AA. Well done.
                        x2. You just recapped the game and most of my feelings as well.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

I knew it was going to be bad when the Sooner Schooner horses crapped on the field pre-game.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            x2. You just recapped the game and most of my feelings as well.
                            Make it cubed.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              I knew it was going to be bad when the Sooner Schooner horses crapped on the field pre-game.
                              I saw that, too. Kind of funny, actually.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                              X