Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN College Football Playoff Simulator ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN College Football Playoff Simulator ...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/bracket

Very interesting ... It simulates best 16 team matchups -- I chose the BCS rankings and in the first round OU would play BYU and Utah would play TCU!

I used about 7 different options in last night, only once did BYU advance and that was with an upset over the 2 seed Oklahoma. It seems far to upset prone, maybe as a way to encourage playoff talk.

As mentioned I tried 7 options last night and every time at least 1 of the top 4 seeds lost. On one attempt Florida, Oklahoma and USC all lost their first round games.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

I seeded them myself as follows:

1. Oklahoma
      2. Florida
      3. Texas
      4. USC
      5. Alabama
      6. Penn State
      7. Texas Tech
      8. Utah
      9. Ohio State
      10. Boise State
      11. Oklahoma State
      12. Cincinatti
      13. TCU
      14. Georgia
      15. BYU
      16. Virginia Tech

First round:

Virginia tech upset Oklahoma
      Utah beat Ohio State
      Alabama beat Cincinatti
      USC beat TCU
      Georgia upset Texas
      Penn State beat Oklahoma state
      Texas Tech over BOise
      Florida over BYU

Second round:
      Utah over Virginia Tech
      Alabama over USC
      Georgia over Penn State
      Texas Tech over Florida

Semifinals
      Alabama over Utah
      Texas Tech over Georgia

Championship:
      Alabama over Texas Tech.
      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        I seeded them myself as follows:

1. Oklahoma
        2. Florida
        3. Texas
        4. USC
        5. Alabama
        6. Penn State
        7. Texas Tech
        8. Utah
        9. Ohio State
        10. Boise State
        11. Oklahoma State
        12. Cincinatti
        13. TCU
        14. Georgia
        15. BYU
        16. Virginia Tech

First round:

Virginia tech upset Oklahoma
        Utah beat Ohio State
        Alabama beat Cincinatti
        USC beat TCU
        Georgia upset Texas
        Penn State beat Oklahoma state
        Texas Tech over BOise
        Florida over BYU

Second round:
        Utah over Virginia Tech
        Alabama over USC
        Georgia over Penn State
        Texas Tech over Florida

Semifinals
        Alabama over Utah
        Texas Tech over Georgia

Championship:
        Alabama over Texas Tech.
        Texas Tech is getting absolutely screwed by the BCS this season. As I was reading through your brackets, I just kept thinking none of this surprises me, although I think Tech would beat Bama in a championship game.

Over the course of the season, Tech was as good as anybody.
        Last edited by smokymountainrain; 12-11-2008, 12:27 PM.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          Texas Tech is getting absolutely screwed by the BCS this season. As I was reading through your brackets, I just kept thinking none of this surprises me, although I think Tech would be Bama in a championship game.

Over the course of the season, Tech was as good as anybody.
          I'll be surprised if they win their bowl game.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
            I'll be surprised if they win their bowl game.
            What makes you think that? I'm sincerely interested in why you feel that way because you obviously follow the Big 12 much closer than I do.

Based on what I saw, they were as dominant as anybody in the country this year. Nearly all of their wins were blowouts and they beat a great Texas team.

Your Sooners took them to the woodshed, but outside of that, they looked great to me.

In my opinion, if they were to lose their bowl game it would simply be because they don't care. I should add that I have always hated Tech, so this is not the opinion of a homer by any means.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              What makes you think that? I'm sincerely interested in why you feel that way because you obviously follow the Big 12 much closer than I do.

Based on what I saw, they were as dominant as anybody in the country this year. Nearly all of their wins were blowouts and they beat a great Texas team.

Your Sooners took them to the woodshed, but outside of that, they looked great to me.
              Did you watch them against Baylor in their last game of the season? They had to score two touchdowns in the final ten minutes to come from behind and win. Against *Baylor.*

I think that:
              1. Tech's vulnerabilities have been exposed, and Ole Miss can take advantage of that.

2. Harrell been humiliated in highly publicized fashion and has gone from being the Heisman frontrunner to not even garnering an invite to New York. He's lost his confidence and his passion.

3. Tech has been passed over for the BCS and are stuck playing in the Cotton Bowl, which is pretty sorry consolation for them at this point. They're ranked 4th in the computers, but they're pitted against #25 Mississippi. It's going to be hard enough for UT to get "up" for the Fiesta Bowl; Tech has to get "up" for a outdated, run-down venue in innercity Dallas against cut-rate competition.

4. Ole Miss won by stopping Tebow and his D, blitzing like mad. They can stop Harrell and his less-talented Oline. (Granted, they got some help from Florida and the refs, but still, if they stopped Tebow...)

That's my take, fwiw. I'm curious what the other, better informed than BG, Big12 followers here think of the matchup.

Comment

Did you watch them against Baylor in their last game of the season? They had to score two touchdowns in the final ten minutes to come from behind and win. Against *Baylor.*

I did see the Baylor game - it was a pathetic performance, but most (I think Nebraska played them close as well) of their other wins were won in impressive fashion. That said, if you want to point to the Baylor game as a reason, I can buy that.

I think that:
                1. Tech's vulnerabilities have been exposed, and Ole Miss can take advantage of that.

2. Harrell been humiliated in highly publicized fashion and has gone from being the Heisman frontrunner to not even garnering an invite to New York. He's lost his confidence and his passion.

3. Tech has been passed over for the BCS and are stuck playing in the Cotton Bowl, which is pretty sorry consolation for them at this point. They're ranked 4th in the computers, but they're pitted against #25 Mississippi. It's going to be hard enough for UT to get "up" for the Fiesta Bowl; Tech has to get "up" for a outdated, run-down venue in innercity Dallas against cut-rate competition.

4. Ole Miss won by stopping Tebow and his D, blitzing like mad. They can stop Harrell and his less-talented Oline. (Granted, they got some help from Florida and the refs, but still, if they stopped Tebow...)

That's my take, fwiw. I'm curious what the other, better informed than BG, Big12 followers here think of the matchup.
                Thanks for the response, I disagree with you an all points except #3. But again, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't respect your opinion and your reasons certainly do have merit.

If Tech can overcome the disappointment of playing in the Cotton Bowl against the #25 team in the country, I think they win by 3-4 TDs.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

I think that:

So you are going to talk about a let down in the cotton bowl but not give credit for a let down against Baylor after getting blasted by Oklahoma and knowing that your national title hopes are dead? Of course they had a let down against Baylor. Also the fact that Harrell is not in New York is a travesty.
                  *Banned*

Comment

So you are going to talk about a let down in the cotton bowl but not give credit for a let down against Baylor after getting blasted by Oklahoma and knowing that your national title hopes are dead? Of course they had a let down against Baylor. Also the fact that Harrell is not in New York is a travesty.
                    Harrell in New York...well, there are only three spots. I had really wanted to see Chase Daniel there, because he truly personifies the ostensible definition of the award. But his numbers just aren't there this year.

And of course the Baylor loss was in part a result of the letdown from the previous week. I never said it wasn't.

Comment

Harrell in New York...well, there are only three spots. I had really wanted to see Chase Daniel there, because he truly personifies the ostensible definition of the award. But his numbers just aren't there this year.

And of course the Baylor loss was in part a result of the letdown from the previous week. I never said it wasn't.
                      College football is such a fun sport, remember in September when everything Chase Daniel did was news? I remember fondly his faux-hawk, and wasn't he texting some D-list celeb that made the rounds too.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

It is not limited to three spots. They take the number of votes that had been cast and determine the finalists based on that. It was 5 a few years ago, 4 last year, and now only 3.

Remember that Bradford, Mccoy and Harrell all finished 11-1 in the same conference. So look at straight numbers:

Bradford
                        302-442 68.33% 4,464 yards 48 tds 6 ints, 186 pass efficiency

Mccoy
                        291-375 77.6% 3445 yards, 32 tds 7 ints, 179.2 pass efficiency 576 rushing yards, 10 tds

Harrell
                        406-568 71.48% 4,747 yards, 41 tds, 7 ints 163.0 pass efficiency

I would say they are pretty comparable.
                        *Banned*

Comment

It is not limited to three spots. They take the number of votes that had been cast and determine the finalists based on that. It was 5 a few years ago, 4 last year, and now only 3.

Remember that Bradford, Mccoy and Harrell all finished 11-1 in the same conference. So look at straight numbers:

Bradford

Mccoy
                          291-375 77.6% 3445 yards, 32 tds 7 ints, 179.2 pass efficiency 576 rushing yards, 10 tds

Harrell

Today on the Dan patrick show, some honcho from the DAC/Heisman committee explained how this works.

The DAC's accounting firm (Big 4, no doubt...maybe PWC?) tallies all votes. They look at the results and invite based on groupings. If there is a significant break in the votes between one player and another, that is where the cutoff is made.

So in other words, in years when there are 5 nominees, the votes submitted were scaterred. This doesnt mean that the consensus #1 person wasn't a blowout, but that the rest of the field was pretty close. In a year where there are 3 invites, the votes were pretty uniform and the 4th guy, in this case Texas Tech, didnt receive enough votes to merit an invite.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            Today on the Dan patrick show, some honcho from the DAC/Heisman committee explained how this works.

The DAC's accounting firm (Big 4, no doubt...maybe PWC?) tallies all votes. They look at the results and invite based on groupings. If there is a significant break in the votes between one player and another, that is where the cutoff is made.

So in other words, in years when there are 5 nominees, the votes submitted were scaterred. This doesnt mean that the consensus #1 person wasn't a blowout, but that the rest of the field was pretty close. In a year where there are 3 invites, the votes were pretty uniform and the 4th guy, in this case Texas Tech, didnt receive enough votes to merit an invite.
                            I understand that, but I still think that Harrell should have been in the discussion. The problem is people use labels like "System" Qb and he is automatically excluded. Nobody wants another Ty Detmer, Andre Ware or David Klinger in the heisman talks.
                            *Banned*

Comment

Bradford

Mccoy

Harrell

Again, I never said he wasn't worthy. I just don't know how many Big 12 QBs you're going to invite to NY.

Comment

Working...
                              X