• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whit on Rome

Here's a long recap of Whitt's interview on the Jim Rome show:

Out.

Here's my recap of Rome's interview with KW

Rome: Coming off the year and win in the Sugar bowl how was the off-season with recruiting?
    KW: It was interesting, a lot like 2004, a lot of good exposure

Rome: I bet you don't have to explain who you are and what your all about
    KW: Absolutely, we can get into virtually any home in the country

Rome What was it like in 2004 and is this year like that year
    KW: There are some similarities in terms of rebuilding our staff as well as losing a great QB. But there is less transition, we have more talent this year than we did in 2005

Rome: Game on Thursday, no starting QB named, is that to keep the heat off them?
    KW: Absolutely. It's been a good competition, and we just want to keep them focused on the game

Rome when will we know?
    KW: Thursday 7:00 PM

Rome how do you approach it with a new QB
    KW: Help them understand they don't need to be a hero, we've got a lot of talent around them so they don't have to do a ton before they get settled in

Rome: Two QB system?
    KW: No, we don't want to do that. If we have a chance to get the other guy some reps, we'll do that.

Rome: Big picture issues, the MWC auto bid was denied, how disappointing?
    KW: Very, we've done a lot on the field to show how good we are. You'll never talk your way into it. We've got 3 top 25 teams this year and have to play well in the big games.

Rome: How much more do you have to do to get in?
    KWGood question, hard to say. There's a few more years on the current contract, so we just need to keep winning high profile game.

Rome: BYU/OU thoughts?
    KW: They've got a 5th year senior at QB, good stability at that position, only one returning starter on the line, excellent RB, they can be real competitive, should be a good game

Rome: Talk about playing GA?
    KW: This has been an ongoing series, but we're taking a break over the next two years, we're looking to get the game past us and move on

Rome: Is there a lot of animosity in the Utah/USU game? How does it compare to BYU?
    KW: Not as heated as BYU, there's not the passion, intensity or national focus as the BYU game.

Rome: Asked about Tebow and Urban
    KW: Never heard Urban say anything bad about Tebow, good leader, may be the best to play in college football, if they win the NC this year, they'll have a good chance to be one of the top programs ever.

Rome: Do you look at Urban and long for his situation?
    KW: been here 16 years, a lot of family here, enjoy being at Utah, we've got a good situation here.

Rome gave some good parting thoughts about KW. Very complimentary. Including "Utah is here to stay, they're legit."
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

One nice thing Rome said was that Utah was not a one and done program. The utes are going to be around for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
      Rome: Do you look at Urban and long for his situation?
      KW: been here 16 years, a lot of family here, enjoy being at Utah, we've got a good situation here.

So, Kyle, since I didn't ask you how long you've been at Utah and how you're doing there, I'll try one more time...do you look at Urban and long for his situation?
      That answer was very Broncoesque.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

What a horrible interview. I didn't hear it, but I almost fell asleep reading this recap. Kyle makes Bronco sound like Don King.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          What a horrible interview. I didn't hear it, but I almost fell asleep reading this recap. Kyle makes Bronco sound like Dom Deluise.
          Fixed!

Comment

When Crowton was asked to quit, I was in the camp that wanted them to hire Kyle.

I still think that would have been a great hire, although I think Bronco is a great fit for BYU, too.

Just because Kyle stuck with Utah doesn't mean he suddenly turned into a crappy head coach. Much to my dismay, he seems to be doing an outstanding job.

In the interest of full disclosure: The Whittinghams lived across the street from me back before big Fred was hired by BYU, although Kyle and Cary once scared the crap out of my brother and me with a BB gun and some ketchup.
            If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

I'm annoyed at Whit for not announcing the starter yet. But far be it from me to question his motivational tactics.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                What a horrible interview. I didn't hear it, but I almost fell asleep reading this recap. Kyle makes Bronco sound like Don King.
                Post not racked...!
                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Working...
                X