Why I'm proud to be a BYU grad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I'm proud to be a BYU grad.

If I could swap academic reputation for a better football team, I wouldn't do it. OU seems to have a good balance of academics and great sports, but I could never bring myself to cheer for OU. Utah is simply inadequate as an undergraduate institution, although they did edge out the University of Arkansas this year.

America's Best Colleges from USNews:

71. BYU
    102. OU
    126. U of U
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

<grabs a bowl of popcorn>
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

Why I'm glad to be a BYU-Idaho grad:

I was able to get a four year degree with some of the easiest professors out there and still land a job managing four Univeristy of Utah grads at the local 7/11.
      "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
      —Abraham Maslow

Comment

I was shown by a Ute fan that forbes rankings are much better

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/94/..._State_22.html

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
          Why I'm glad to be a BYU-Idaho grad:

I was able to get a four year degree with some of the easiest professors out there and still land a job managing four Univeristy of Utah grads at the local 7/11.
          Nominated.

Edit: WHOOPS. Wrong board.
          That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
            If I could swap academic reputation for a better football team, I wouldn't do it. OU seems to have a good balance of academics and great sports, but I could never bring myself to cheer for OU. Utah is simply inadequate as an undergraduate institution, although they did edge out the University of Arkansas this year.

71. BYU
            102. OU
            126. U of U

Why I'm grateful I don't live in Utah or around too many Mormons -see above

Comment

71. BYU
              102. OU
              126. U of U
              I know you are trolling but how could one possibly make the argument that Utah is "inadequate as an undergraduate institution"? There is virtually no difference between Utah, byu and Utah St in academic reputation. None of them are top tier and none of them are san diego st.
              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

OU - where the university pres once said and I am paraphrasing "Let's build a university that the football team can be proucd of"

This was back in the early 60's right after OU's record setting winning streak.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                  I know you are trolling but how could one possibly make the argument that Utah is "inadequate as an undergraduate institution"? There is virtually no difference between Utah, byu and Utah St in academic reputation. None of them are top tier and none of them are san diego st.
                  Actually, BYU and Utah are considered "top tier". Utah State is tier 3.

Comment

I dare you to go over to CB and say that.

Comment

I really do think there is a difference. I don't think Utah is inadequate--that was a troll. For example, I know that I would have had better biology research experiences if I had been at Utah. I do think that BYU's teaching is vastly superior, although I must admit that I have little evidence to back this claim up. Utah and Utah State have their strengths, but I really do think that BYU is superior, and US News agrees.

I cannot explain the Forbes rankings other than to say that Forbes loved Oklahoma in all their recession rankings, and who would seriously want to live in Oklahoma?

BYU's one great failing is the whole religion thing.

Comment

I really do think there is a difference. I don't think Utah is inadequate--that was a troll. For example, I know that I would have had better biology research experiences if I had been at Utah. I do think that BYU's teaching is vastly superior, although I must admit that I have little evidence to back this claim up. Utah and Utah State have their strengths, but I really do think that BYU is superior, and US News agrees.

I cannot explain the Forbes rankings other than to say that Forbes loved Oklahoma in all their recession rankings, and who would seriously want to live in Oklahoma?

BYU's one great failing is the whole religion thing.
                        Are the job opportunities or grad school opportunities different for byu versus utah or Utah st? If you are honest you will say no. If you compare one of the Utah schools versus Northwestern, or Michigan then there is marked difference. Versus Indiana or Iowa on the other hand... Not much difference.
                        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
                          OU - where the university pres once said and I am paraphrasing "Let's build a university that the football team can be proucd of"

This was back in the early 60's right after OU's record setting winning streak.
                          The University of Oklahoma is No. 1 per capita among public universities in the number of freshman National Merit Scholars enrolled. And they have one of the most beautiful libraries in the nation. See the photo of the reading room below. I'm proud to have my dissertation on the shelves of such a gorgeous room. Interestingly enough, no one is ever reading in the reading room. I read in this room sometimes, and I rarely see many students in the library at all:

Comment

71. BYU
                            102. OU
                            126. U of U
                            Link? last I checked BYU was 100+ on that list. Did somebody get bought off?
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I will say I got a great education at Utah and BYU. I would have at USU probably if I had gone to classes.

It was funny though when I went for my MBA curriculum at the U, Quantitative analysis was a requirement. I wanted to waive the class because I took undergrad quant. at BYU, and was told the prof. would have to OK it. He told me I would struggle in the class because he would have to unteach me and then reteach. Hey, this isn't philosophy, it is quant. analysis. No go. Had to take class.

Of course on first day he didn't remember me. His first lecture was to show us what eventually we would be able to do with quant. analysis and set up a problem. He then asked if anyone had an idea what to do. I took him through the whole problem to the final solution. He asked how I did it. I reminded him of our conversation and recieved a hearty boo from the class.

He still made me take the class. A!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X