PDA

View Full Version : Taq Man

Taq Man
08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

Sorry for not doing this sooner. I figured most knew who I was so the intro was pointless.

I am a true blue died in the wool Cougar fan. I graduated from BYU in 2000, served a mission to Hawaii, and left the church in 2005.

I am a forensic scientist by trade (Serology/DNA).

I believe in God but not organized religion. Though I would go back to the LDS church if they dropped the one true church claim.

Anyway.....Greetings

ERCougar
08-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi all,

Sorry for not doing this sooner. I figured most knew who I was so the intro was pointless.

I am a true blue died in the wool Cougar fan. I graduated from BYU in 2000, served a mission to Hawaii, and left the church in 2005.

I believe in God but not organized religion. Though I would go back to the LDS church if they dropped the one true church claim.

Anyway.....Greetings

For some reason, I had thought you belonged to some evangelical religion. Seriously. Now I'm wondering why.

Jeff Lebowski
08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Welcome back, Taq Man.

JohnnyLingo
08-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Though I would go back to the LDS church if they dropped the one true church claim.

I admit that surprises me. You'd rejoin the Church even with Joseph Smith's polyandry and everything?

byu71
08-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi all,

Anyway.....Greetings

I wonder if the admin. understands how many died in the wool Cougar fans there are who aren't "true blue died in the wool" church members. I really think they do. However, many cougar fans don't understand that and some refuse to accept you can be a "true blue" fan without being a "true blue" member.

I really think they believe to be "true blue" you must believe the HC was sent from God and being the head coach at BYU is a spiritual calling.

P.S. Welcome, I am glad to have you here.

scottie
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I admit that surprises me. You'd rejoin the Church even with Joseph Smith's polyandry and everything?

Advice to Taq Man -- do not respond to/try to answer the above.

Indy Coug
08-26-2009, 10:53 AM

I don't think for a second that Taq actually believes that. He's just throwing out a very crooked olive branch.

SteelBlue
08-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Welcome back Taq.

YOhio
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Good to have you here Taq.

JohnnyLingo
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Advice to Taq Man -- do not respond to/try to answer the above.

Haha... it's a yes or no question. I won't be interrogating him.

byu71
08-26-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't think for a second that Taq actually believes that. He's just throwing out a very crooked olive branch.

Why not. I know various people who like very much a lot of the LDS teachings. The family environment is terrific.

The one thing that can be stifling is the idea that anything a leader says has to be obeyed because it eminates from absolute truth. You and I might believe in the truth and the fact anything does not have to be obeyed, well I believe that, however for someone else that could be very stifling as far as relating to others in the social structure.

TripletDaddy
08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Why not. I know various people who like very much a lot of the LDS teachings. The family environment is terrific.

The one thing that can be stifling is the idea that anything a leader says has to be obeyed because it eminates from absolute truth. You and I might believe in the truth and the fact anything does not have to be obeyed, well I believe that, however for someone else that could be very stifling as far as relating to others in the social structure.

lol.

what the hell happened to you in your childhood? I think you mention this issue every single day.

I want to know the backstory.

Borg
08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Taq...welcome.

YOhio
08-26-2009, 11:02 AM
lol.

what the hell happened to you in your childhood? I think you mention this issue every single day.

Oooooh. Triple Dad cursed.

Indy Coug
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
lol.

My guess is that BYU71 has had so much psychoanalysis on his obsessions that he's now whipping out past life memories.

TripletDaddy
08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Oooooh. Triple Dad cursed.

it's in the Bible so it isn't cursing.

Taq Man
08-26-2009, 11:05 AM

You couldn't be more wrong Indy. I do not believe in organized religion. I do however see the ethical/moral value that religion offers.

I'm not saying I would take a calling and stay for all 3 hours or anything but I like the whole community thing and I do enjoy a hymn from time to time.

I think the Mormon church is as worthwhile/worthless as any other church, but being brought up Mormon, my wife and I both feel more comfortable there and if the church would stop selling the one true way thing I wouldnt mind dropping in from time to time, or even helping out with a service project or two.

byu71
08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
lol.

LOL, I guess you mean the obey part. Maybe I do mention it too often. Look, I grew up in the 50's and 60's. The country as a whole was very conservative. Heck, the democrats back then looked like McCain or Romney. You can imagine then how conservative the church was. Being rebellious had you bumping up against everything one held dear. My family and my religion.

I guess maybe to this day I resent the feeling I was a degenerate during my teenage years because I had a beer and touched a few girls boobies.

byu71
08-26-2009, 11:08 AM
My guess is that BYU71 has had so much psychoanalysis on his obsessions that he's now whipping out past life memories.

My regret is that I felt too guilty and didn't whip out my obsession every opportunity I had.

TripletDaddy
08-26-2009, 11:20 AM
LOL, I guess you mean the obey part. Maybe I do mention it too often. Look, I grew up in the 50's and 60's. The country as a whole was very conservative. Heck, the democrats back then looked like McCain or Romney. You can imagine then how conservative the church was. Being rebellious had you bumping up against everything one held dear. My family and my religion.

I guess maybe to this day I resent the feeling I was a degenerate during my teenage years because I had a beer and touched a few girls boobies.

Hey, I am a fan. I was just noting a pattern to your posts. Reading them is much like walking into The Wilk or the MTC....no matter how much time has passed, the second you open the door and get a blast of the air inside, the smell is still the same from when you were first there. You could be blindfolded and you would know instinctively that you were walking into The Wilk.

BYU71 is like the rock of our foundation...consistent through the years. I feel safe when I read your posts because I know what I am going to get. Consistent themes:

1. Smiles in your avatar
2. Some sort of variation on how serving a mission is not a commandment (see yesterday's Manti Teo thread)
3. Some sort of comment about the BYU Honor Code
4. Remarks about intellectuals on CUF
5. BYU Football

Know what you do and do it well.

You do it well, BYU71.

pellegrino
08-26-2009, 02:23 PM
it's in the Bible so it isn't cursing.

That's the reason damn is a part of my personal lexicon.

Welcome Taq Man.

beefytee
08-26-2009, 03:15 PM
That's the reason damn is a part of my personal lexicon.

Welcome Taq Man.

I have yet to use "dumb ass", but would feel justified with this reasoning.

Welcome, Taq.

Apparently you bring out the best in us. :)

Taq Man
08-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Apparently you bring out the best in us. :)

And the worst in Tex and Indy.

byu71
08-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey, I am a fan. I was just noting a pattern to your posts. Reading them is much like walking into The Wilk or the MTC....no matter how much time has passed, the second you open the door and get a blast of the air inside, the smell is still the same from when you were first there. You could be blindfolded and you would know instinctively that you were walking into The Wilk.

BYU71 is like the rock of our foundation...consistent through the years. I feel safe when I read your posts because I know what I am going to get. Consistent themes:

1. Smiles in your avatar
2. Some sort of variation on how serving a mission is not a commandment (see yesterday's Manti Teo thread)
3. Some sort of comment about the BYU Honor Code
4. Remarks about intellectuals on CUF
5. BYU Football

Know what you do and do it well.

You do it well, BYU71.

I have always appreciated your tolerance for older folks like myself.

wuapinmon
08-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Please answer the following question. Think carefully about how you to choose to answer, as our future dealings may depend upon how you respond.

Gaetan Picon invented the aperitif Amer Picon in France in 1837, a mixture of orange bitters at 78 proof. The spirit gradually worked its way around the continent, finding a home in the national drink of the Euskadi, "Basque" people" Picon Punch. Strong sheepherders, many Basque peoples thrived herding sheep in Idaho and California. The company that makes Amer Picon decided to stop importing the substance to the USA in the last century, and many Basque-Americans make due with a domestic substitute called Torani Amer. While this spirit almost fills the gap left by the unavailability of the true Amer Picon (itself no longer made in a 78 proof version), many Basque-Americans long for the original. One of the strongholds of Basque-Americans is Bakersfield, California, home of a popular small-plane airport. Many pilots use the Bakersfield Field to make $100 hamburger runs. If you were to do such a run, where would you fly and which hamburger joint would you go to?

snowcat
08-27-2009, 06:29 PM
You couldn't be more wrong Indy. I do not believe in organized religion. I do however see the ethical/moral value that religion offers.

I'm not saying I would take a calling and stay for all 3 hours or anything but I like the whole community thing and I do enjoy a hymn from time to time.

I think the Mormon church is as worthwhile/worthless as any other church, but being brought up Mormon, my wife and I both feel more comfortable there and if the church would stop selling the one true way thing I wouldnt mind dropping in from time to time, or even helping out with a service project or two.

I am not sure that I am enough of a regular to say welcome, but welcome. I used to enjoy reading your thoughts on CG.

Regarding the above, why not drop in from time to time. You can enjoy the positives stated above and simply smile to yourself whenever the "only true and living" thing comes out.

Taq Man
08-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Please answer the following question. Think carefully about how you to choose to answer, as our future dealings may depend upon how you respond.

Gaetan Picon invented the aperitif Amer Picon in France in 1837, a mixture of orange bitters at 78 proof. The spirit gradually worked its way around the continent, finding a home in the national drink of the Euskadi, "Basque" people" Picon Punch. Strong sheepherders, many Basque peoples thrived herding sheep in Idaho and California. The company that makes Amer Picon decided to stop importing the substance to the USA in the last century, and many Basque-Americans make due with a domestic substitute called Torani Amer. While this spirit almost fills the gap left by the unavailability of the true Amer Picon (itself no longer made in a 78 proof version), many Basque-Americans long for the original. One of the strongholds of Basque-Americans is Bakersfield, California, home of a popular small-plane airport. Many pilots use the Bakersfield Field to make $100 hamburger runs. If you were to do such a run, where would you fly and which hamburger joint would you go to?

To respond in the shortest manner possible, I don't eat hamburgers. However, were I forced to eat one it would be a Black and Blue burger from Great Basin Brewery in Reno Nevada.

All the Basque talk got me really hungry for a good Basque style dinner. The best I ever had was the Star Hotel in Elko. If your ever on I-80 passing through Elko stop in at the Star. Order any steak or lamb dish, you won't be dissapointed. Louis's Basque Corner in Reno is top notch as well.