A question about the Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about the Oklahoma

Babs perhaps you can answer this best. Why is the University of Oklahoma also known as OU? Was dyslexia involved? And yes I realize the irony of this question coming from a fan of a school often referred to as "the Y".

Even weirder, our fight song ends

Rah Oklahoma! Ok-U!

Comment

Is it possible that originally it was Oklahoma University but became the University of Oklahoma?

Comment

I think I heard it was changed to OU when Barry Switzer was coach....

It made much more sense because their coach was a lOUd mOUth.

Comment

CU is the same way. I remember it took me a bit to get used to that when I moved to Colorado. I assumed it was because UC = the California system.

Comment

I'm going to guess that it was referred to as Oklahoma University before they insisted upon The University of Oklahoma as its official name. I'm also going to guess that this was common for many state schools. My beloved alma mater used to go by NCU, not UNC. In fact the lyrics to "Hark the Sound" (official school song) are:

"Hark the sound of tarheel voices, ringing clear and true.
            Singing Carolina's praises, shouting N.C.U."

The song was written in 1897.
            Last edited by pellegrino; 08-25-2009, 11:44 AM.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

As per wiki, the University of Oklahoma was never known as OKlahoma University. It was, however, originally known as Norman Territorial University, but was changed to The University of Oklahoma when Oklahoma was granted statehood in 1907.

To honor OU's great history, I hereby declare that OU will again be known as NTU! Down with the NTU Klaihoms!!!

he history of the University of Oklahoma begins before Oklahoma's statehood. In 1889, Governor of Oklahoma Territory George Washington Steele urged the Oklahoma Territorial legislature to "create public school systems and universities of higher education". In December 1890, the Legislature established three universities: the state university in Norman, the agricultural and mechanical college in Stillwater (later renamed Oklahoma State University) and a normal school in Edmond (later renamed University of Central Oklahoma).[14] Oklahoma's admission into the union in 1907 led to the renaming of the Norman Territorial University as the University of Oklahoma.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Oklahoma
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
              X