2009 year of the P10 RB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 year of the P10 RB

Doing some reading tonight it is amazing to look at the RBs in the P10 this year. The talent level is insane, and has to be among the best years ever in the conference.

1. Jahvid Best, Cal 8.1 a carry last year, 15 TD, almost 1600 yards.
    2. LaGarrette Blount, Oregon 7.3 a carry, 17 TD, 1000 yards as the #2 back.
    3. Jacquizz Rodgers, OSU 1250 yards 11 TDs, singlehandedly destroyed USC.
    4. USC's backs. I think DDD like Staffon Johnson the best, but I think most teams would kill for Joe McKnight, or CJ Gable.
    5. Nic Grigsby, Arizona 1150 yards, 13 TDs.
    6. Toby Gerhart, Stanford 1100 yards 15 TDs.

I think most of these guys will play in the NFL. Amazing to have that much talent in one league.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Big 12 quarterbacks:

Sam Bradford: 4,720 yards 50 tds
    Colt Mccoy: 3,859 yards 35 tds, 10 rushing tds
    Robert Griffin III: 2091 yards passing, 15 tds, 859 yards rushing 13 tds, only 3total turnovers on the season and he was a true freshman last year.
    Todd Reesing: 3,888 yards, 34 tds
    Zac Robinson: 3,064 yards passing, 25 tds, 646 yards rushing, 8 tds
    Taylor Potts: Plays for Texas Tech he will put up big numbers
    Austen Arnaud: 2,792 yards passing 15 tds, 500 yards rushing, 5 tds
    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      Zac Robinson: 3,064 yards passing, 25 tds, 646 yards rushing, 8 tds
      This guys is very overrated.

Signed,
      Babs
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

I love Joe, but the problem is that for every amazing run, he also has a boneheaded fumble. Seriously, it is either feast or famine with that guy. It makes Curtis Brown's track record of protecting the ball all the more impressive when I see guys like McKnight cough it up once a game.

CJ and Stafon are more consistent with the PT they are given. The big question mark is Allen Bradford. How will he fare this year re: injuries? If he stays healthy, he can be exciting to watch.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
          This guys is very overrated.

Signed,
          Babs
          hmmm...I don't think I ever said that.

Are you the one I have the bet with? I'd better look that up. I want to make sure to collect.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            Big 12 quarterbacks:
            Robert Griffin III: 2091 yards passing, 15 tds, 859 yards rushing 13 tds, only 3total turnovers on the season and he was a true freshman last year.
            Thank you!!

I have been pushing Robert Griffin (not here - in real life), but nobody will listen to me. The Big 12 can't afford to overlook Baylor this year. They're not dominant, they're not national title contenders, but they represent HUGE upset potential for the majority of the Big 12 teams. Their quarterback is just that good.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              I love Joe, but the problem is that for every amazing run, he also has a boneheaded fumble. Seriously, it is either feast or famine with that guy. It makes Curtis Brown's track record of protecting the ball all the more impressive when I see guys like McKnight cough it up once a game.

CJ and Stafon are more consistent with the PT they are given. The big question mark is Allen Bradford. How will he fare this year re: injuries? If he stays healthy, he can be exciting to watch.
              Is Marc Tyler going to do anything this year? Wasn't he one of the top tailbacks coming out of HS three years ago?
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                Is Marc Tyler going to do anything this year? Wasn't he one of the top tailbacks coming out of HS three years ago?
                He was, but who knows what will happen this year. He is sitting behind CJ Joe McKnight, Stafon Johnson, CJ Gable, and then you have Allen Bradford as well. SC also has a new kid, Curtis McNeal, who is allegedly very good, but since he is so new, likely won't get many carries.

Right now, Tyler is definitely getting a lot of buzz as one of two power backs to run in tandem with McKnight and or Johnson/Gable. The idea is to recreate the "thunder and lightening" days of Reggie and LenDale. Tyler has had a great camp, but by most accounts would still be behind Allen Bradford in that rotation.

Funny you ask about this today because a new article was just posted today to one of the SC boards on the latest RB situation.

After each practice Trojan running backs coach Todd McNair huddles the backs together and they let out a chant in unison. “R.B.U.!” is echoed across Howard Jones and Brian Kennedy fields and a statement is made. R.B.U. also known as Running Back University has taken over for the previous moniker of Tailback U. This stable of backs is without question the deepest and most talented in the country.

At the tailback position the Trojans are led by Stafon Johnson and CJ Gable. Johnson a senior is a versatile player who does everything right. He as an uncanny ability to make defenders miss tackles, and is an excellent pass blocker. CJ Gable is a dangerous weapon with excellent pass catching ability and has elusiveness while running in the open field.

Trojan fans have been patiently awaiting a breakout season from junior Joe McKnight. The Louisiana native has shown flashes of brilliance with his tremendous speed, pass catching ability, and moves. Though he has been plagued by injuries and an occasional fumble, he is finally healthy after dislocating four toes during the Rose Bowl, is ready to contribute.

Perhaps the two players with the least amount of game experience are the two with the most potential for success. Allen Bradford and Marc Tyler consistently show their unique combinations of size and speed in practice on a daily basis. Each over 220lbs, they enjoy inflicting punishment on would be tacklers, but have the necessary speed to outrun defenders as well. Since the departure of Lendale White the Trojans have not had the “big back” to fill that void, but these two looked poised to embrace that role.

With a completely different build than his contemporaries Curtis McNeal has impressed after redshirting his freshman season. Not only a gifted running back, Moody as he is known ,is a skilled kick returner as well. The Trojan coaches will have a great time finding ways to incorporate his different skill set into the Trojan offense.

At the fullback position Stanley Havili has proven to be quite an asset. Whether he is being asked to catch passes out of the backfield, picking up a blitzing linebacker, or running the ball, Havili has excelled. Not only has he excelled on the field, but he has been mentoring and teaching sophomore DJ Shoemate the nuisances of the position. Entering USC as an athlete Shoemate has found a home at fullback and will provide much needed depth and versatility to the position.

A stark contrast to the fleet footed and nimble Havili and Shoemate, Adam Goodman and Simione Vehikite are the bruisers of the bunch. Both pride themselves in their ability to pound and punish opposing defenders and create holes for the tailbacks.

WeAreSC was able to catch up with Stafon Johnson and Stanley Havili to get the inside on this talented group of backs.

Best Student
                Adam Goodman

Most Time Spent On Facebook
                Marc Tyler

Ideal Back
                Legs of Stafon Johnson, Moves of Joe McKnight, Speed of Allen Bradford, Upper Body of Allen Bradford, Athleticism of Stanley Havili, Elusiveness of Curtis McNeal, Pass Blocking and Heart of CJ Gable

Best Practice Drill
                Film Session

Worst Practice Drill
                9 on 7 and Bag drill

Best Nickname
                Curtis McNeal (Midget Wrestler)

Biggest Comedian
                Todd McNair

Best Basketball Player

Stafon Johnson and Stanley Havili

Group Strengths
                “Were together. We know that it takes all of us as one doing our part to be who we are” -Stafon Johnson
                “We have each other’s back no matter what.” –Stanley Havili

Group Weaknesses

“The thing we need to work on is just to stay consistent.” –Stafon Johnson

Most Underrated Player
                Allen Bradford

sigpic

Comment

It is cool how on the Ideal Back question, they used all the guys. That shows great teamwork!
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    It is cool how on the Ideal Back question, they used all the guys. That shows great teamwork!
                    I was a bit troubled by their answer, actually. Their ideal back has no arms or head!

sigpic

Comment

I was a bit troubled by their answer, actually. Their ideal back has no arms or head!
                      They were just implying that they want Joe McKnight's hands. They figured it could be left unsaid.

Comment

He was, but who knows what will happen this year. He is sitting behind CJ Joe McKnight, Stafon Johnson, CJ Gable, and then you have Allen Bradford as well. SC also has a new kid, Curtis McNeal, who is allegedly very good, but since he is so new, likely won't get many carries.

Right now, Tyler is definitely getting a lot of buzz as one of two power backs to run in tandem with McKnight and or Johnson/Gable. The idea is to recreate the "thunder and lightening" days of Reggie and LenDale. Tyler has had a great camp, but by most accounts would still be behind Allen Bradford in that rotation.

Funny you ask about this today because a new article was just posted today to one of the SC boards on the latest RB situation.
                        Interesting. It sounds like Tyler is full of potential but guys like Gable and Johnson have the experience and are just good enough to get most of the carries.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                        X