Confessions of a sports polygamist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions of a sports polygamist

How many BYU people on here would rather watch the OU vs. Texas game if it were broadcast the same time as, say, the BYU vs. UNLV game?

Over time, my fanaticism for one particular team diminishes and I'm more interested in watching great football/basketball games. As for me, I'll watch the OU v. Texas game and flip back during the commercials to BYU vs. UNLV.

I'm a sports polygamist. I LOVE watching and following sports and, if anything, I probably have been watching more the past few years as I find myself at home more on Saturdays and in the evenings than when I was single. There are teams I like, there are teams I dislike and sometimes I still hate certain teams. The one limited exception for me are the Niners. If they got good again, I would be a fanatic. Also, if BYU made it into a BCS league or was undefeated heading into the second half of the season, I think my interest would ratchet up to where it was when I was, say, in my early 20s.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    How many BYU people on here would rather watch the OU vs. Texas game if it were broadcast the same time as, say, the BYU vs. UNLV game?

Over time, my fanaticism for one particular team diminishes and I'm more interested in watching great football/basketball games. As for me, I'll watch the OU v. Texas game and flip back during the commercials to BYU vs. UNLV.

I'm a sports polygamist. I LOVE watching and following sports and, if anything, I probably have been watching more the past few years as I find myself at home more on Saturdays and in the evenings than when I was single. There are teams I like, there are teams I dislike and sometimes I still hate certain teams. The one limited exception for me are the Niners. If they got good again, I would be a fanatic. Also, if BYU made it into a BCS league or was undefeated heading into the second half of the season, I think my interest would ratchet up to where it was when I was, say, in my early 20s.
    Not me.

Anyway, see you all at the SC/Ohio State game in a few weeks!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Not me. I would rather watch BYU vs CSU/SDSU/UNLV/etc than see Oklahoma vs Texas or Florida vs LSU.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

My DVR solves this problem for me. I would definitely watch OU vs. Texas in this case and view the BYU game later.

I sure hope Texas and OU are undefeated at that point.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Not me. I would rather watch BYU vs CSU/SDSU/UNLV/etc than see Oklahoma vs Texas or Florida vs LSU.
          I agree. I'm a BYU fan first, and a college football fan second.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I sure hope Texas and OU are undefeated at that point.
            Some BYU Fan you are!

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
              Some BYU Fan you are!
              Oops.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                Some BYU Fan you are!
                I guess we know why he got the shaft on his season ticket assignments.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

The one limited exception for me are the Niners. If they got good again, I would be a fanatic.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Not me.

Anyway, see you all at the SC/Ohio State game in a few weeks!
                    The accurate term for you is a sports bigamist. I'm a sports polygamist, or maybe I'm just a sports slut. I'll engage any game that I find the most interesting at the time. I would rather watch USC vs. Cal, Florida vs. LSU, or Texas vs. OU than a lot of BYU's games.

My wife's grandparents are big Montana Grizzlies fans and frequently attend the football games. This has always been a mystery to me because I have a hard enough time following BYU football due to the crappy conference affiliation. There's no way I could pay much attention to a Div 1aa team.

I freely admit I'm a bandwagoner. I'll pay a ton of attention if BYU has a real shot at a BCS bowl late in the season. And as someone wondered a few weeks ago in a Pac-10 expansion thread, I could totally see myself paying more attention to the Utes if they went to the Pac-10 and BYU was still slumming it in the MWC.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View Post
                      Who the hell is still really passionate about a team when they totally suck for a number of years? Nebraska fans? Well, they live in Nebraska, the weather sucks and they have nothing else to do.

I pay attention to the Niners at the beginning of the season. If they suck, then I stop getting emotionally invested in it. The Niners compete at the top level for post-collegiate football. BYU doesn't really compete at the top level and the MWC is fairly mediocre. If the Niners are good, I'll be more charged up for them than any other team. I don't have the time or patience to follow a crappy team through mediocrity. I'll be there once they decide to become competitive again.

Comment

The 49ers will win a superbowl under mike singletary. At least one.

Comment

Who the hell is still really passionate about a team when they totally suck for a number of years? Nebraska fans? Well, they live in Nebraska, the weather sucks and they have nothing else to do.
                          Haha, just giving you a hard time. I agree, if the team sucks, screw them, I'll devote my time and money elsewhere.

In terms of following a 1AA team, which I do, the internet has made it a heck of a lot easier. The Big Sky conference has BigSkytv, which lets you watch games for free as long as they are in a BSC venue.

Comment

I don't really consider myself a polygamist, as I'm faithful to just one team. I am, however, a college football addict. On Saturdays in the fall I'll start watching at ten in the morning and not turn off the television til midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              I am, however, a college football addict. On Saturdays in the fall I'll start watching at ten in the morning and not turn off the television til midnight.
                              Ditto. I dated a guy several years ago who found this endearing. Man, to have a do-over on that one...

Comment

Working...
                              X