Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Hall = Kevin Feterik?

Both were pretty mature as soph's.

Similar strengths and weaknesses. Both smallish lacking the strong arm but made up for it with accuracy, knowledge of the offense, and determination.

Both started out with good numbers and never improved much on them.

Biggest difference in Hall's efficiency numbers being a little higher is that Hall has enjoyed MUCH better talent around him on offense.

This should be prefaced with the fact that I was never a Feterik hater. He took extreme abuse from BYU fans that was mostly unwarranted.

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

Similar strengths and weaknesses. Both smallish lacking the strong arm but made up for it with accuracy, knowledge of the offense, and determination.

Biggest difference in Hall's efficiency numbers being a little higher is that Hall has enjoyed MUCH better talent around him on offense.

This should be prefaced with the fact that I was never a Feterik hater. He took extreme abuse from BYU fans that was mostly unwarranted.
    Feterik was kind of a dick in person.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

Hall does have much better offensive talent surrounding him than Feterik did. Defensively, I think BYU's defense in '97 was similar to '08 the defenses in '98 and '99 were really good defenses. The late 90's BYU's defenses had more team speed than I ever recall.

However, I was occassionally blasted for that comparison by others. Hall came into a great situation for a BYU qb. I venture that next year's qb will not come into nearly as good a situation. Hall has been a good D1 qb and an above average BYU qb. If all of BYU's ?'s end favorably and things come together perfectly for BYU this upcoming season Hall will then = Sark.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Feterik had BYU on the doorstep of being considered for an Alliance Bowl in 1999, before the team fell apart at Wyoming and got a cheerleader beatdown from Utah. If Max Hall could be Feterik then we only have to worry about the defense, just like pretty much every year at BYU.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          Hall does have much better offensive talent surrounding him than Feterik did.
          I would say the offense was as good in 99 as it should be this year. Luke scored 10 TDs in 8 games as a frosh, Tahi had some great moments as a frosh. Pittman and Hooks were solid, Pittman not picking up that backwards pass in the Virginia game not with standing. We even had the typical BYU WR in Horton. The TEs this year are worlds better than anyone we had in 99 though.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            I would say the offense was as good in 99 as it should be this year. Luke scored 10 TDs in 8 games as a frosh, Tahi had some great moments as a frosh. Pittman and Hooks were solid, Pittman not picking up that backwards pass in the Virginia game not with standing. We even had the typical BYU WR in Horton. The TEs this year are worlds better than anyone we had in 99 though.
            The o-line fell apart in '99.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
              The o-line fell apart in '99.
              As did the RBs. They were absolutely crippled by the end of the year.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                As did the RBs. They were absolutely crippled by the end of the year.
                Will Snowden even played and destroyed his hype.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  When you play the what if game, you ever ask yourself what if Ronney Jenkins had been gay and John Tait stuck around for another year?

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

When you play the what if game, you ever ask yourself what if Ronney Jenkins had been gay and John Tait stuck around for another year?
                    Are you saying that Ronney Jenkins would have had a thing for John Tait?
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      Feterik was kind of a dick in person.
                      I guess we can add that to the similarities .
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        Are you saying that Ronney Jenkins would have had a thing for John Tait?
                        I don't think like that.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I wasn't really playing what if, I was just saying that I think 99 had as much offensive talent as 09.

FWIW I don't think Tait would have been Ronney's type.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

I had a class with Tait. That dude's hat size has to be a 10. I have never seen a dude with a noggin bigger than his ever.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Unbelievable. Can we at least let Hall have a senior season before we start comparing him with one of the worst QBs the game of college football has ever seen.

Hell, Travis Hansen could've been a better QB than Kevin Feterik.

But it's nice to have the easy out that Hall has better talent around him. Can anybody prove that? And even if we concede that Hall has better talent around him, how much better is Hall's talent? Is it enough to make up for the fact that Hall already has an outright conference championship and Feterik never sniffed one. Is the talent disparity enough to make up for the fact that Hall's numbers are considerably better?

The fact is Hall has had more team success and has better numbers than Feterik. That can't be debated.

Gus Frerotte was just as good a QB as Joe Montana. Similar size, similar arm strength. Joe Montana was just playing with better talent, that's all.

Give me a damn break. This thread blows.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                              X