Limiting Media Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limiting Media Access

Utah is limiting the media's access to its first scrimmage of fall camp and some of the local media folks have their panties in a wad about it calling it a "ban" (Mike Sorensen).

How do you feel about this?

I know that the media gets a little overly sensitive at times, but are they justified?

As a fan (or rival fan) how important are these practice reports outside of injuries?
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I don't like it. I want as much news as possible.

That said, if the coaching staff feels it's better for the team that the media is restricted, then I won't argue. I'd rather see wins from a team that wants to practice in secrecy than mediocrity in a team that offers to practice in my backyard.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

I wonder if it has to do with the opponent. Doesn't the U open against Utah State? Since they are in such close proximity, maybe they want to play it closer to the vest than if they opened against a team from out of state. Just a thought.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I wonder if it has to do with the opponent. Doesn't the U open against Utah State? Since they are in such close proximity, maybe they want to play it closer to the vest than if they opened against a team from out of state. Just a thought.
        An in-state opponent in Utah State whose new Head Coach is the former Utah defensive coordinator. What better way for Gary Anderson to start his tenure at USU than to beat Utah. And what a worse way to start the season for the Utes.

IMO, Whit has definitely earned the benefit of the doubt. If he wants a no-access practice, he's earned that right.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          It's certainly possible...maybe KWhit is playing some mind games with his old DC Gary Andersen.

I just think it is funny how the media acts when something like this happens. All of the sportsbreaks on 1320kfan discuss the limited access with such bitterness.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
            An in-state opponent in Utah State whose new Head Coach is the former Utah defensive coordinator. What better way for Gary Anderson to start his tenure at USU than to beat Utah. And what a worse way to start the season for the Utes.

IMO, Whit has definitely earned the benefit of the doubt. If he wants a no-access practice, he's earned that right.
            Also, it isn't terribly uncommon to close a practice. I don't see what the big deal is with this issue. Or that it is an issue, at all.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
              I don't like it. I want as much news as possible.

That said, if the coaching staff feels it's better for the team that the media is restricted, then I won't argue. I'd rather see wins from a team that wants to practice in secrecy than mediocrity in a team that offers to practice in my backyard.
              I could see them giving access to a James Durrant or Sorensen or Cella type rather than some of the others who (for better or for worse) will point out certain deficiencies.

Comment

It is a smart move. They are in the middle of a very big quarterback battle. If Whit thinks it is best for his team and players that they close practice then he should close practice.

There is very little that Anderson doesn't know about when it comes to who is going to be on the field this year. Cain and Wynn are 2 of them.

Like many people have said already, Whit has earned the right to close a practice to the media. He has been very good at allowing access and should be given a pass on this.
                "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

I think this is the first time Utah has really experienced significant media interest at practices and Kyle has seen what a distraction it can be. People have given Bronco a hard time in the past for limiting media access (usually the media that does the complaining), but in my opinion, a coach ought to be able to do whatever he thinks is best for his program.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                    Utah is limiting the media's access to its first scrimmage of fall camp and some of the local media folks have their panties in a wad about it calling it a "ban" (Mike Sorensen).

How do you feel about this?

I know that the media gets a little overly sensitive at times, but are they justified?

As a fan (or rival fan) how important are these practice reports outside of injuries?
                    I think Whittingham is doing the right thing. He's got a QB battle going on and having the media weigh in with their opinions does not help the situation. I don't think this has as much to do with preparing for Utah State.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Media members whine, it's their job (or at least they think it's their job).

If the coach thinks it will benefit the team, to hell with the reporters.
                      Even if he forgets to put postage on his mail, it gets there.
                      His personality is so magnetic he is unable to carry credit cards.
                      The police often question him, just because they find him interesting.
                      When he was captured by alien beings, they asked him to probe them.

Stay thirsty my friends

sigpic

Comment

Being in the Information Age where the microscope is continually shoved up players' and coaches' butts, I can understand why there is some pushback.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                          It is a smart move. They are in the middle of a very big quarterback battle. If Whit thinks it is best for his team and players that they close practice then he should close practice.
                          I actually think this has more to do with it than anything.

KW has already said that after the scrimmage they are going to reduce those in the QB derby down to 2. The media knows this. Talk about pressure on three QB's to know you are determining whether you will play this year (either as first string or backup) of if you will be sitting or even RS'ing.

And I'm not considering just the pressure - they've all had that on gameday and when competing for positions before. But I'm considering the potential fallout.

Unless two of the QB's perform head and shoulders above the third, the third could easily see themselves as getting shafted. There is the potential for all kinds of hard feelings, etc. Who has friends on the team? Could lines of division be drawn? And let's face it, QB isn't like any other position on the field where players can rotate in and out and everyone may get a chance for reps in a game. The 3rd string guy isn't going to see the field at QB.

So I could easily see wanting to avoid the press during this first scrimmage - wanting to avoid the speculation, the second guessing of which QB is out of the competition, having time to digest the decision and discuss it with the players before reporters get asking tough questions about how each QB thinks they did, etc.

I think later in camp you can worry less about distractions and ease them into it.

Comment

I agree with the comments about the QB battle. This is a potentially big negative for Utah this year, but if there is any silver lining it is that Whit doesn't have to tell anyone which way he is going and Anderson can find out with the rest of us when the offense takes the field for the first time and we see who lines up under center.

Comment

Wynn either starts or redshirts, so if Louks or Cain is #3, they could still see the field.
                              Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                              Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                              Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

Working...
                              X