PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd was lighting up Utah today.....

cougjunkie
12-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Basically he said they have no chance that the talent disparity between the two schools is to large. He mentioned the size difference of both lines, he also mentioned the fact that Utah had the 77th best recruiting class last year and Alabama had the number 1 class. He was very harsh on the Utes.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Basically he said they have no chance that the talent disparity between the two schools is to large. He mentioned the size difference of both lines, he also mentioned the fact that Utah had the 77th best recruiting class last year and Alabama had the number 1 class. He was very harsh on the Utes.

Glad to hear one of the biggest idiots in sports has weighed in. I can't listen to him anymore, does he still do 2 hours a day on Micheal Vick and dog fighting?

tooblue
12-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Cowherd is a dingleberry.

TripletDaddy
12-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Cowherd clearly doesn't realize that the SEC has been exposed because LSU struggled with Troy.

Utah will smoke Alabama!

SeattleUte
12-09-2008, 12:52 PM
CJ, you gotta believe. That's where it starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqhZUZSDmZE

il Padrino Ute
12-09-2008, 12:53 PM

Cowherd has a large number of Ute fans fretting right now. He doesn't bother me for two reasons:

1. I never listen to him.
2. He's a BCS/ESPN honk, therefore, see #1.

He's correct that there is disparity in the talent level of both teams, but what makes me laugh is that folks like Cowherd won't point out that it's the depth that sets the strong teams apart from the rest. If it was just the 1s of Utah going against the 1s of Alabama, they are fairly well matched. The difference is that the 2s at Alabama could also be the 1s there, where as the 2s at Utah are definitely 2s.

I'll hold out hope that the Utes can pull off the upset, then I'll listen to Cowherd and the other weasels at ESPN try to make excuses for it.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM
CJ, you gotta believe. That's where it starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqhZUZSDmZE

Or will it be more of a Utah unable to stay with Kentucky deal?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM

Didn't Utah stay with Kentucky until the last 3-5 minutes? That is what I remember, but I was just a missionary breaking the rules at the time.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Didn't Utah stay with Kentucky until the last 3-5 minutes? That is what I remember, but I was just a missionary breaking the rules at the time.

Pretty much ... Majerus mismanaged his bench and the starters ran out of gas.

SeattleUte
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM

UNC was far more talented than Kentucky, actually. Carter and Jamieson may have been the two best players in the country. Utah ran out of gas after 36 minutes of the NC title game but Kentucky didn't dominate Utah. Utah's road to the NC game was tougher.

myboynoah
12-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Has Utah ever beaten Kentucky?

DrumNFeather
12-09-2008, 01:02 PM
As I mentioned in a post on Utefans, Cowheard speaks in extremes...that is his schtick.

He asks the question: Do Utah and Boise St. belong in the BCS?

His answer: No.

His justification: Neither can hang in the SEC or Big 12.

Fine. I can handle that logic. HOWEVA (like Stephen A. Smith) he is completly ignoring the other 4 BCS leagues that have had very average seasons. Nobody is going to convince me (regardless of my homerness) that any team in the Big East or ACC would blow Utah out this year.

He also likes to argue that comparing first place teams in conferences is silly, so he says you should compare third place teams.

Which of these teams would beat BYU handily?

ACC:FSU/Ga. Tech
Big East:West Va.
Big 12: Texas/Texas Tech (technically)
Big 10: Michigan St.
Pac 10: Oregon St.
SEC:Georgia

Hot Lunch
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I actually love listening to Cowherd. I know there are a lot of haters of "The Herd" on this board.

The one thing I think he knows and understands is College Football. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to college football. He does a ton of research and watches a ton of games.

I remember one show he was asked why he didn't stick around for the weekend to stand on the sidelines of one of the biggest game that week and he said that if he attended the game that is the only game he would have watched that Saturday and it would have killed him not being able to see all the other games being played that Saturday.

il Padrino Ute
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Pretty much ... Majerus mismanaged his bench and the starters ran out of gas.

This is true. Majerus didn't give Miller the break he needed to be able to keep the Utes going down the stretch.

That Ute team was fun to watch and that run was amazing. Knocking off two #1 seeds on the way to the title game was a great accomplishment. It's a shame that Majerus blew it and blamed the players.

il Padrino Ute
12-09-2008, 01:05 PM

I think it was 1976 or '77. The Utes and Jeff Judkins handed Kentucky their first loss at Rupp Arena. Kentucky has taken it out on Utah ever since.

Hot Lunch
12-09-2008, 01:06 PM

All but Oregon St., Michigan St. and FSU. They still win, just not handily.

SeattleUte
12-09-2008, 01:07 PM

Utah beat Kentucky in the NIT championship in 1947 (the NIT title was the thing then; the NCAA tournament was less prestigious), and in the finals of the Kentucky Classic in Lexington in 1976. Those are the two I know off hand.

As far as message boards go, it doesn't get any better than this. Rapping about Utah's rivalry in basketball with Kentucky and upcoming Sugar Bowl game with Alabama.

DrumNFeather
12-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I actually love listening to Cowherd. I know there are a lot of haters of "The Herd" on this board.

The one thing I think he knows and understands is College Football. He is very knowledgeable when it comes to college football. He does a ton of research and watches a ton of games.

I remember one show he was asked why he didn't stick around for the weekend to stand on the sidelines of one of the biggest game that week and he said that if he attended the game that is the only game he would have watched that Saturday and it would have killed him not being able to see all the other games being played that Saturday.

The problem with his approach is that he is painting himself in a corner as a BCS conference/system apologist. If Bama wins, Utah doesn't belong. If Utah wins, Bama didn't want to be there. He has an excuse (often poor) for everything BCS related.

myboynoah
12-09-2008, 01:23 PM
As I mentioned in a post on Utefans, Cowheard speaks in extremes...that is his schtick.

He asks the question: Do Utah and Boise St. belong in the BCS?

His answer: No.

His justification: Neither can hang in the SEC or Big 12.

Fine. I can handle that logic. HOWEVA (like Stephen A. Smith) he is completly ignoring the other 4 BCS leagues that have had very average seasons. Nobody is going to convince me (regardless of my homerness) that any team in the Big East or ACC would blow Utah out this year.

He also likes to argue that comparing first place teams in conferences is silly, so he says you should compare third place teams.

I think you make a good point, but I'm sure Texas/Tesax Tech and Georgia would kill BYU. That doesn't bode well for Utah.

I know Ute Fans didn't want to get "screwed again" by playing Cincy or whoever the ACC BCS team is this year. However, I think that option would have been better for this Utah team. While anything is possible and Utah could, if it plays very, very well, stay with Alabama, I fear it could get very ugly. Outside of Sakoda, I don't see the exceptional talent needed to stay with Alabama.

This area (Memphis) is amazing in the talent it sends into the SEC, yet I have not heard anyone talk about this as a hotbed of CFB recruiting. Still, 20+ kids will accept SEC scholarship offers this year. Contrast that to SLC. How many Memphis' are there in the SEC footprint? The difference in talent pools is striking.

Flystripper
12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
The problem with his approach is that he is painting himself in a corner as a BCS conference/system apologist. If Bama wins, Utah doesn't belong. If Utah wins, Bama didn't want to be there. He has an excuse (often poor) for everything BCS related.

Actually he has said numerous times on his show this year that he would prefer a playoff.

DrumNFeather
12-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Actually he has said numerous times on his show this year that he would prefer a playoff.

He has also said that he is a "BCS guy." He reminds me of Bill Maher. All he does is set up straw man arguments so that he is never wrong...at least that is what he has done on this particular issue.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I think you make a good point, but I'm sure Texas/Tesax Tech and Georgia would kill BYU. That doesn't bode well for Utah.

I know Ute Fans didn't want to get "screwed again" by playing Cincy or whoever the ACC BCS team is this year. However, I think that option would have been better for this Utah team. While anything is possible and Utah could, if it plays very, very well, stay with Alabama, I fear it could get very ugly. Outside of Sakoda, I don't see the exceptional talent needed to stay with Alabama.

This area (Memphis) is amazing in the talent it sends into the SEC, yet I have not heard anyone talk about this as a hotbed of CFB recruiting. Still, 20+ kids will accept SEC scholarship offers this year. Contrast that to SLC. How many Memphis' are there in the SEC footprint? The difference in talent pools is striking.

I never realized how stocked the Memphis area was for high quality D1 players until I read Bruce Feldman's Meat Market. You are right a ton of D1 players come from that area.

TripletDaddy
12-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Utah beat Kentucky in the NIT championship in 1947 (the NIT title was the thing then; the NCAA tournament was less prestigious), and in the finals of the Kentucky Classic in Lexington in 1976. Those are the two I know off hand.

As far as message boards go, it doesn't get any better than this. Rapping about Utah's rivalry in basketball with Kentucky and upcoming Sugar Bowl game with Alabama.

Utah/Kentucky is one of my favorite college hoops rivalries.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Do you also enjoy the dramtic rivalry of the hammer and the nail?

TripletDaddy
12-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Do you also enjoy the dramtic rivalry of the hammer and the nail?

Except, I often hear "hammer" and "nail" in the same sentence.

I am happy to discover today that BYU's football rival, the University of Oklahoma, whom the Cougars beat, is having an up year. This kind of success can only help build our rivalry.

il Padrino Ute
12-09-2008, 03:35 PM

That's because you're a Ute hating zoob.