1st Tri - mission accomplished, lessons learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Tri - mission accomplished, lessons learned

Had a great time on Saturday running my first tri. I'd set some goals for myself early on in training, and for the most part hit them all. I also learned a thing or two I will keep in mind for the next time around.

Goal #1 - beat most of the girls - CHECK! (sorry ladies, I know I'm showing a little machismo here. But I couldn't help it - this was the first goal I set for myself when I first started running and there was this gal who was always running away from me at the indoor track. She was FAST.)

Goal #2 - finish run in under 25 minutes - CHECK!

Goal #3 - finish bike in under 35 minutes - CHECK!

Goal #4 - finish swim in under 10 minutes - CHECK!

Goal #5 - finish entire race in under 1:10 - CHECK!

Goal #6 - kick my buddies tail who talked me into this - CHECK!

Goal #7 - not embarrass myself against my BIL who decided to join in - CHECK!

I met all my goals, though I admit they were pretty modest. I wasn't sure what to make of the first time. I ended up finishing in 1:04; 6th in my age bracket; and in the top 25% of men.

Lessons learned:

#1 - if there is a mass start on a skinny road and you are running, you want to either be near the front or just stand and wait for the crowd to clear before you start. Nothing like walking across the starting line and continuing to walk for the first 30-40 yards while waiting for the pack to get up to speed. Ended up with a 23:30 on the 5K and know I could've dropped that at least a minute.

#2 - sense of urgency in transitions. Not that I was lounging around or resting - but looking back I wouldn't have stopped to take a drink, etc. I spent about a minute on each transition and could've cut at least the first one in half.

#3 - this is a two parter. 1st - road bikers suck. Larger wheels, higher gearing, lighter weight, better angles...those guys think they are SO COOL when they pass those of us on mountain bikes while peddling half as hard. FWIW - I passed as many as passed me, but (and this is the 2nd part) if I ever decide I want to be competetive, I'm going to need to get a road bike.

#4 - trying to swim down a single lane in a pool with 8 other people at the same time who are all trying to go over, under, and around you and have no shame in how they achieve this is not much fun. I think I have a couple of new boyfriends and a new girlfriend too. I need to be just a little more aggressive in the future.

#5 - I learned that I'm too competetive to just run the race for the fun of it. I want to beat people. I want to go fast. If I'm going to do this more than once or twice more I really will need a roadbike and a little more consistent training to keep from becoming frustrated.

Overall a good time. My buddy has already started looking at when our next race or tri will be.

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    Had a great time on Saturday running my first tri. I'd set some goals for myself early on in training, and for the most part hit them all. I also learned a thing or two I will keep in mind for the next time around.

Goal #1 - beat most of the girls - CHECK! (sorry ladies, I know I'm showing a little machismo here. But I couldn't help it - this was the first goal I set for myself when I first started running and there was this gal who was always running away from me at the indoor track. She was FAST.)

Goal #2 - finish run in under 25 minutes - CHECK!

Goal #3 - finish bike in under 35 minutes - CHECK!

Goal #4 - finish swim in under 10 minutes - CHECK!

Goal #5 - finish entire race in under 1:10 - CHECK!

Goal #6 - kick my buddies tail who talked me into this - CHECK!

Goal #7 - not embarrass myself against my BIL who decided to join in - CHECK!

I met all my goals, though I admit they were pretty modest. I wasn't sure what to make of the first time. I ended up finishing in 1:04; 6th in my age bracket; and in the top 25% of men.

Lessons learned:

#1 - if there is a mass start on a skinny road and you are running, you want to either be near the front or just stand and wait for the crowd to clear before you start. Nothing like walking across the starting line and continuing to walk for the first 30-40 yards while waiting for the pack to get up to speed. Ended up with a 23:30 on the 5K and know I could've dropped that at least a minute.

#2 - sense of urgency in transitions. Not that I was lounging around or resting - but looking back I wouldn't have stopped to take a drink, etc. I spent about a minute on each transition and could've cut at least the first one in half.

#3 - this is a two parter. 1st - road bikers suck. Larger wheels, higher gearing, lighter weight, better angles...those guys think they are SO COOL when they pass those of us on mountain bikes while peddling half as hard. FWIW - I passed as many as passed me, but (and this is the 2nd part) if I ever decide I want to be competetive, I'm going to need to get a road bike.

#4 - trying to swim down a single lane in a pool with 8 other people at the same time who are all trying to go over, under, and around you and have no shame in how they achieve this is not much fun. I think I have a couple of new boyfriends and a new girlfriend too. I need to be just a little more aggressive in the future.

#5 - I learned that I'm too competetive to just run the race for the fun of it. I want to beat people. I want to go fast. If I'm going to do this more than once or twice more I really will need a roadbike and a little more consistent training to keep from becoming frustrated.

Overall a good time. My buddy has already started looking at when our next race or tri will be.
    Sounds fun. I did a few tri's in college but up until a week ago, didn't own a road bike and haven't done any since for that reason. I'm thinking about doing Kokopelli next month. When's your next one?
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Way to go, and this is me too. I am too competitive. This was evidenced in Tahoe. And yes you need a roadbike. I have been the guy on the mounain bike and it is frustrating, of course then you'll get frustraded by those guys on tri bikes.

you could always just do this race and use the mountain bike for what is made for: http://xterraplanet.com/races/race.cfm?race_id=858

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        Sounds fun. I did a few tri's in college but up until a week ago, didn't own a road bike and haven't done any since for that reason. I'm thinking about doing Kokopelli next month. When's your next one?
        I don't have a next one planned yet - but it's just a matter of time. I'd really like to do an olympic distance, but that may have to wait until next year.

The same friend who talked me into this race and I have talked for years about wanting to run a marathon some time. We're looking at running the Ogden marathon next spring, so I'm thinking of looking for a 1/2 marathon in the late fall.

For now I'll just have to keep racing with the mountain bike - too many other expenses and bills to pay first before throwing some at a new bike. Though it does help that my wife was very excited for me to race and is supportive of making the roadbike purchase at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          Way to go, and this is me too. I am too competitive. This was evidenced in Tahoe. And yes you need a roadbike. I have been the guy on the mounain bike and it is frustrating, of course then you'll get frustraded by those guys on tri bikes.

you could always just do this race and use the mountain bike for what is made for: http://xterraplanet.com/races/race.cfm?race_id=858
          I think I could live with SOME frustration - and there weren't too many folks with actual tri bikes at this particular race.

The good news is that I beat my buddy I was racing with as far as biking times (he has a roadbike) so in that respect I feel good about going on rides with him and being able to keep up - though I'm sure that will diminish over progressively longer distances.

I'm a little nervous about mtn bike racing. Last time I raced down a trail I bent my front rim in half on a sharp turn and went head over teakettle. Just has me more cautious.

Comment

I think I could live with SOME frustration - and there weren't too many folks with actual tri bikes at this particular race.

The good news is that I beat my buddy I was racing with as far as biking times (he has a roadbike) so in that respect I feel good about going on rides with him and being able to keep up - though I'm sure that will diminish over progressively longer distances.

I'm a little nervous about mtn bike racing. Last time I raced down a trail I bent my front rim in half on a sharp turn and went head over teakettle. Just has me more cautious.
            Then you would be fine with the Utah Xterra as 90% of the ride is uphill. I kid you not.

Still Xterra puts on the best races I have been a part of.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              I am too competitive. This was evidenced in Tahoe.
              I'm glad I wasn't burdened with this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                I'm glad I wasn't burdened with this problem.
                Ha ha! No, RC, not at all...

Comment

Working...
                X