Official BYU Fall Camp Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official BYU Fall Camp Thread

AKA see you later Lakers thread for longest thread on the board.

Some notes from a few of the blogs:

1) Rick Wolfley apparently has decided to leave the team. Chalk one more defensive lineman lost... not good. Wondering if somebody will move over from the offensive side of the ball.

2) McKay Jay had a solid practice and looks like he'll be ready to contribute. He was the first one up "Y" Mountain, and looked good running routes. Definitely a positive since we'll need some WRs to help replace Collie.

3) Another RM, Robbie Buckner, apparently looked like the best corner out there and played with the 1s at the field corner spot. From Jeff Call's blog:

BYU coaches and players raved about the play of cornerback Robbie Buckner, a returned missionary who is one of several players vying for the starting field corner spot. Players say Buckner impressed them during summer workouts. Mendenhall said he's going to be tough to beat out at that spot, though JC transfers Lee Aguirre, Brian Logan and Corby Eason will try to do just that.
    I'm all for Buckner winning the spot. Having 4-years of continuity at the corner, especially with a guy who is as good of an athlete as Buckner is, makes me very happy.

4) Manase Tonga wasn't in camp, though Bronco expects him to be ready. Apparently he still has some academic issues to clear up. I wonder how much the year-plus off will hurt him, and if he can't go, who will get the bulk of the reps at the Fullback spot? Will it be Kariya? Or one of the newcomers?

5) Andrew Rich didn't practice because he was sick. He's expected to be back next week sometime, fully ready to make Goat's nipples hard.

Should be interesting. I'm getting more and more ready for the season to start, especially hearing the positive coming out of camp.

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
    A
    3) Another RM, Robbie Buckner, apparently looked like the best corner out there
    I don't want to be a wet blanket, but if a just back RM is the best corner we have that really scares me.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

This is the time of year where fans set the unrealistic expectations that 4 months down the road will be used to crucify coaches and players alike when those unrealistic expectations aren't met.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        I don't want to be a wet blanket, but if a just back RM is the best corner we have that really scares me.
        When did Buckner get home? I thought he was a mission from 06-08 was home last fall and has had a year to get in shape and be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
          When did Buckner get home? I thought he was a mission from 06-08 was home last fall and has had a year to get in shape and be ready.
          It was early this year. I'm not sure if it was in time for spring practices, but he's been working out all summer, from what I understand.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
            This is the time of year where fans set the unrealistic expectations that 4 months down the road will be used to crucify coaches and players alike when those unrealistic expectations aren't met.
            Yeah, but it sure is fun while it lasts. :-)

Comment

Buckner was supposedly kicking butt his freshman year. I believe we will be <gasp> solid at corner this year. *

* Solid for BYU standards

Comment

Good to hear the players are having fun. Last year it seemed they went through the motions alot of the time. Good to have that spark back.

Several players mentioned that, unlike last season (at least so far), practice was fun and upbeat.
                "It's an absolute different feel," quarterback Max Hall said. "It's fun to be out here. Guys are flying around."
                http://www.deseretnews.com/blogs/1,5...ml?bD=20090808

Comment

Also interesting Anae was up on the balcony during 11 on 11 drills.

Comment

Didn't you say that you don't really care about BYU sports anymore? I swear you said that recently.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Wolfley is not a loss at all. He wasn't going to contribute this year. From what i was told, he didn't show up to any off season workouts and when he found out that Mendanhal was going to be coaching up the Nose Guards during fall camp he just decided it was done. He knew how hard Mendanhal was on the position that he coached and how hard they had to work so he decided to hang it up.

Fuga has been very impressive since returning. He and Russel should make a pretty good 1-2 combo out there.
                      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Didn't you say that you don't really care about BYU sports anymore? I swear you said that recently.
                        No they have fallen down the pedestal from the #1 spot in my fandom, but they are still important to me.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

No they have fallen down the pedestal from the #1 spot in my fandom, but they are still important to me.
                          I see I remembered it incorrectly. Still, I have a hard time seeing how one can maintain two college football loyalties, especially when the two are relatively close in proximity. I could see following an SEC team and BYU for somereason.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            I see I remembered it incorrectly. Still, I have a hard time seeing how one can maintain two college football loyalties, especially when the two are relatively close in proximity. I could see following an SEC team and BYU for somereason.
                            Signed, TripletDaddy.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              Signed, TripletDaddy.
                              I don't get it...does he like someone outside of USC?
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                              X