PDA

View Full Version : I think Utah has a legit shot to win ...

tooblue
12-09-2008, 07:54 AM
and BYU will have to play one of their best games of the season to beat UofA.

Alabama's defense is very good but if Johnson can continue to play like the senior qb he is they will score a couple of TD's at best and at least get Sukoda within range to puts points on the score board. Bama's offense will be surprised by the Utah D and will remain ineffective. I think it will be a close, low scoring game.

BYU will have to be firing on all cylinders on offense to get a win. That simply means better coaching starting with a solid game plan by Anae. He has to be willing to establish the run first and throw second. If he takes what the Defense gives him -- which will be pass, pass, pass -- and puts the ball in Hall's hands there will be turnovers. The UofA offense will score points. The question is will BYU control the game by running the football and playing just good enough on D or will they be playing catchup football all night long? If it's catch-up football they will lose.

Let's hope neither team embarrasses. Bad losses by both teams could set the conference back significantly and completely erase what has been accomplished this season just like the Hawaii loss did to the WAC. Furthermore, I'm not convinced TCU is going to roll Boise. Imagine if all 3 MWC teams lose!

Last note: sorry Babs, but Florida is going to thump the Sooners.

BlueHair
12-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Bama's offense will be surprised by the Utah D and will remain ineffective. I think it will be a close, low scoring game.

Why do you think Alabama's offense is ineffective? They average 31 points a game. This is against the SEC, not the WAC or MWC. I will be stunned if Utah can hold them under 31.

Surfah
12-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Why do you think Alabama's offense is ineffective? They average 31 points a game. This is against the SEC, not the WAC or MWC. I will be stunned if Utah can hold them under 31.

Yeah. Utah won't be Hawaii. But they won't be winning either.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 08:25 AM

Alabama just might be the only team on the Utes schedule to figure out that if they run down their throat they will control the game and beat them handily.

Bama only managed 20 points against Florida. Now I'm not saying the Utes defense is even remotely as good as Florida's but their defensive coaching is.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeah. Utah won't be Hawaii. But they won't be winning either.

If the Utes can control the run game it comes down to the ute secondary verses Parker-Wilson ... advantage Utes!

cougjunkie
12-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Alabama just might be the only team on the Utes schedule to figure out that if they run down their throat they will control the game and beat them handily.

Bama only managed 20 points against Florida. Now I'm not saying the Utes defense is even remotely as good as Florida's but their defensive coaching is.

Florida has a huge speed advantage over Utah.

Florida has 11 Olympic 100 meter Gold medalists compared to Utah having 11 highschool state 100 meter qualifiers. That is the difference in speed of the two teams.

TripletDaddy
12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
It would suck if the MWC teams lose. Esp since now everyone in the country views the MWC as a legit perennial power and not a one-season fluke that feasted on the fat of a down PAC10.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Florida has a huge speed advantage over Utah.

Florida has 11 Olympic 100 meter Gold medalists compared to Utah having 11 highschool state 100 meter qualifiers. That is the difference in speed of the two teams.

Contain the run and make Bama's qb beat you ... advantage Utah.

Surfah
12-09-2008, 08:33 AM
If the Utes can control the run game it comes down to the ute secondary verses Parker-Wilson ... advantage Utes!

And what makes you think that the Utes can control the run game? Unga and Fui ran all over them.

Bama has two backs that can run. Averaging over 5 yards a carry in the SEC, with over 2000 yards rushing and over 20 TDs between the two. I know the MWC had a hell of a year and the SEC is down, but still there is quite the margin in talent. Utah doesn't stop their rushing attack.

cougjunkie
12-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Contain the run and make Bama's qb beat you ... advantage Utah.

Thank you Captain Obvious, I am guessing none of the other 13 teams they have played this year have thought of that.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 08:37 AM
And what makes you think that the Utes can control the run game? Unga and Fui ran all over them.

Bama has two backs that can run. Averaging over 5 yards a carry in the SEC, with over 2000 yards rushing and over 20 TDs between the two. I know the MWC had a hell of a year and the SEC is down, but still there is quite the margin in talent. Utah doesn't stop their rushing attack.

Why didn't Anae run the dang ball more then? Why didn't Michigan? Maybe Bama will be the first team to figure it out.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Thank you Captain Obvious, I am guessing none of the other 13 teams they have played this year have thought of that.

You'd think but ... this is college football and strange things happen. Like, BYU not figuring out that they could run it down Utah's throat until it was too late.

cougjunkie
12-09-2008, 08:48 AM
You'd think but ... this is college football and strange things happen. Like, BYU not figuring out that they could run it down Utah's throat until it was too late.

I think BYU knew they could run it down their throat, but for some reason they went away from it in the 3rd quarter when it mattered, so I guess you are right anything can happen. You just dont see as many college football upsets like you do in college basketball. I think Andre SMith (potential number 1 overall pick at LT) and ALabamas O-line will be to much for the undersized Greg Newman and they will run it like crazy.

On a side note, Ute fans we will find out how good Kruger really is in this game.

Surfah
12-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Why didn't Anae run the dang ball more then?

Cause Anae is dumb.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I think BYU knew they could run it down their throat, but for some reason they went away from it in the 3rd quarter when it mattered, so I guess you are right anything can happen. You just dont see as many college football upsets like you do in college basketball. I think Andre SMith (potential number 1 overall pick at LT) and ALabamas O-line will be to much for the undersized Greg Newman and they will run it like crazy.

On a side note, Ute fans we will find out how good Kruger really is in this game.

I fully expect Bama to line up and ram it down the Utes throat but we'll see. Interesting thought about Kruger.

RockyBalboa
12-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Alabama's defense is very good but if Johnson can continue to play like the senior qb he is they will score a couple of TD's at best and at least get Sukoda within range to puts points on the score board. Bama's offense will be surprised by the Utah D and will remain ineffective. I think it will be a close, low scoring game.

lol.....if Utah covers the spread I'll take all local CUF'ers out to a night at The Pie on my dime.

il Padrino Ute
12-09-2008, 10:45 AM
lol.....if Utah covers the spread I'll take all local CUF'ers out to a night at The Pie on my dime.

Based on past bets you've made with a pizza from The Pie to go to the winner, I think you've pretty much guaranteed pizza for all of us. ;)

TripletDaddy
12-09-2008, 10:50 AM

big deal. 10 cents worth of pizza isn't going to feed anyone, cheapskate.

RockyBalboa
12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Based on past bets you've made with a pizza from The Pie to go to the winner, I think you've pretty much guaranteed pizza for all of us. ;)

Hey,,,it's a surefire way to guarantee a good time either way. :)

For the record you're invited up when Fiyero/Ute4ever is in town and I make good on our bet, but we're gonna keep it to a small group and private when it happens. I'll email you when it does. :)

tooblue
12-09-2008, 11:04 AM

Sounds good ... I should be in Utah this summer and will take you up on it. Remember when you lol'd my suggestion that BYU would suffer a demoralizing loss to Utah ;)

RockyBalboa
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Sounds good ... I should be in Utah this summer and will take you up on it. Remember when you lol'd my suggestion that BYU would suffer a demoralizing loss to Utah ;)

Who'd thunk Tooblue is resorting to using selective memory? ;) I, like the rest am shocked.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Who'd thunk Tooblue is resorting to using selective memory? ;) I, like the rest am shocked.

Selective? Or, maybe it was you who lol'd my suggestion that Hall has regressed!

RockyBalboa
12-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Selective? Or, maybe it was you who lol'd my suggestion that Hall has regressed!

Yes, I did lol at that.

It was deserved and earned.

il Padrino Ute
12-09-2008, 11:15 AM

For the record you're invited up when Fiyero/Ute4ever is in town and I make good on our bet, but we're gonna keep it to a small group and private when it happens. I'll email you when it does. :)

Sounds good. And I'm lazy enough to hope it's at the Ft. Union Pie because that's closer to my house.

tooblue
12-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Yes, I did lol at that.

It was deserved and earned.

How did he perform against Utah and TCU ... the two games against good D1 defenses where he wasn't able to force the ball?

Surfah
12-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Sounds good. And I'm lazy enough to hope it's at the Ft. Union Pie because that's closer to my house.

Don't have to fight for a table in a hole there either. Man, I really wish we could have met up when we lived there. I'm blaming it on Gidget though. She used to mock me for "cougarguardin' it up" as she used to call it.

il Padrino Ute
12-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Don't have to fight for a table in a hole there either. Man, I really wish we could have met up when we lived there. I'm blaming it on Gidget though. She used to mock me for "cougarguardin' it up" as she used to call it.

No worries. Someday, we'll be able to hook up for lunch. Perhaps I'll find my way back your way and we can hit a Nationals game.

I agre about the wait at the Pie by the U, but dangit, there is something about that place that makes it the best place for Pizza in Utah. If it was up to me, I'd have it made an historical site. A hole in the wall + great pizza + loud music = fun times.

Brian
12-09-2008, 11:34 AM

utah decided to try and take away byu's passing game and force them to beat them on the ground. I assume the game plan will flip for the next game. we'll see what happens.

As long as the team plane doesn't crash on the way down, there is always a chance...
Like I said before, I'll never say never with the group.
Nobody here in SEC country is giving Utah a prayer. I hope the Bama boys read the papers.

TripletDaddy
12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
No worries. Someday, we'll be able to hook up for lunch. Perhaps I'll find my way back your way and we can hit a Nationals game.

I agre about the wait at the Pie by the U, but dangit, there is something about that place that makes it the best place for Pizza in Utah. If it was up to me, I'd have it made an historical site. A hole in the wall + great pizza + loud music = fun times.

Surfah,

If you get the chance, I would recommend eating lunch with EPU.

I know he doesnt like to brag, but since he has been with Amway for so many years, he can get you really good deals on lots of stuff.

We spent most of our lunch looking at various merchandise and also making lists of friends that might also want to have lunch with EPU.

It was a nice meal.

Surfah
12-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Surfah,

I know he doesnt like to brag, but since he has been with Amway for so many years, he can get you really good deals on lots of stuff.

We spent most of our lunch looking at various merchandise and also making lists of friends that might also want to have lunch with EPU.

It was a nice meal.

So he's platinum level?

il Padrino Ute
12-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Surfah,

It was a nice meal.

Amway?!?

Nothing but Melaluca at my house pal.

TripletDaddy
12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Amway?!?

Nothing but Melaluca at my house pal.

My bad.

Speaking of which, this tropical juice you sold me isn't helping me with my illness. The tumors are stll there. Are you sure 3 cans a day can cure me?

8BR
12-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I think BYU knew they could run it down their throat, but for some reason they went away from it in the 3rd quarter when it mattered, so I guess you are right anything can happen...

CJ, I haven't re-watched the game, but didn't Utah drop their LBs into coverage for most of the game - essentially conceding the run? They obviously schemed to stop the pass.

il Padrino Ute
12-09-2008, 11:46 AM
My bad.

Speaking of which, this tropical juice you sold me isn't helping me with my illness. The tumors are stll there. Are you sure 3 cans a day can cure me?

3 cans will only stop it from getting worse. If you want to be cured, you need 5-7 cans of it.

And don't forget that if you dilute it with water, it doesn't work.

Fiyero
12-09-2008, 01:00 PM
For the record you're invited up when Fiyero is in town and I make good on our bet, but we're gonna keep it to a small group and private when it happens. I'll email you when it does. :)

What the hell? I won't be there.

Fiyero
12-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Nevermind, my bad. I misread who you were addressing. I agree IPU is a good apple.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM

I believe you still owe me a meal from your ridiculous idea that the Detroit Lions would make the NFL playoffs in 2007.

RockyBalboa
12-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I believe you still owe me a meal from your ridiculous idea that the Detroit Lions would make the NFL playoffs in 2007.

LOL..this is true. And that started off looking good until they lost their like last 395203523808 games in a row.

Next time you're in town ring me up and lunch or dinner is on me.