Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UtahDan: neither from/in Utah, nor named Dan. Discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahDan: neither from/in Utah, nor named Dan. Discuss.

How did you find CUF?

Lebowski invited me. Before that Archaea invited me to CG.

How did you choose your moniker?

Many years ago I thought "UtahDanite" sounded cool. I think I was reading Son Of Thunder Man of God at that time. It was in my last year at Utah, or there abouts. It is sort of silly, but too late to change it now.

What do you do (other than read CUF)?

I like to accompany myself on piano and guitar, but don't do it enough. I like to go on almost daily waddles around my town in my running shoes as I try to shed the cellulite man. I watch way too much TV and have at least a dozen shows I follow. It is probably more than that. Nothing worthwhile on in the summer, though the "101" on direct TV is showing old Oz reruns as well as the first season of Smith which isn't bad (Amy Smart, va va voom!). I also watch a lot of movies, though not always in the theater and play movies stocks at www.hsx.com. I like to read but have a short attention span so sometimes I finish things and sometimes I don't. I love to play with my 2 1/2 year old; she is great and likes to bonk noggins with me which is cool.

Did you ever consider an alternative career path?

For a while I thought I wanted to do what OhioBlue does, but I never seriously pursued it. If I were talented enough to be a recording artist, I would do that. I think I'm talented enough to know that I am not that talented. If money were no object I would still do what I do. I enjoy intellectually stimulating competition.

How many time zones have you lived in and what is your current time zone?

Three. Eastern, Mountain, Pacific.

How many states have you lived in?

Three. VA, UT and CA.

How many states have you road tripped to/through in your RV?

I have never ridden in an RV. I keep telling my wife it would be fun to one day buy one and drive it to every Redskins away game. She tells me that I would be doing that by myself. But I bet Drum would come with me.

What are your sports loyalties?

Redskins, Utes, Running Utes. That is my order of interest. I also enjoy watching BYU lose. The funny thing is, I don't feel that strongly about BYU when I discuss it here or with others. I don't particularly care if BYU wins or loses. Except that if it is on TV in front of me, all those level headed thoughts go away and I pretty much want BYU to lose on a very visceral level. Small, I know. But rivalries are part of what makes sports fun. I can own it.

What's your standing in the church?

Stage five with occasional yearnings for the simplicity of four or three, but of course neither of those are an option for me.

Are you looking forward to Wuap's welcome question and what do you think it will be?

I think he is going to ask what my secret it. I will tell him if the price is right.

Welcome, I am glad to have you here.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      I have never ridden in an RV. I keep telling my wife it would be fun to one day buy one and drive it to every Redskins away game. She tells me that I would be doing that by myself. But I bet Drum would come with me.
      I, too, have never ridden in an RV, but I can hardly think of anything better than having a bed in the back of your car. It is a childhood dream of mine. Drive a bit, sleep comfortably while someone else drives; beautiful.

Comment

I don't know what the stages of church standing are, but 5 sounds like a good one.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          I don't know what the stages of church standing are, but 5 sounds like a good one.
          Rest assured, it is the highest.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            What's your standing in the church?

Stage five with occasional yearnings for the simplicity of four or three, but of course neither of those are an option for me.
            Ha! I spoke with your former bishop about you a few days ago. He was discreet, of course, but I am just getting started with him.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

your avatar originally featured only one apple with one bite, but now features one half-eaten apple sitting atop a bushel of whole ones. What symbolism should we ascribe to the change?

Comment

I have a question for you UD, one that I've never really understood: Why in the world do you hold your tongue when you drink Francesca? And what the crap does that even mean??

Glad to hear you're enjoying what you do and that you didn't decide to do what I do. Kidding of course, but I doubt you would have found your need for intellectual competition satisfied in my world.

Comment

So much to respond to here, but I'll just say that I am IN whenever you do the RV trip...I'm sure Mrs. Drum will have no problem with it.

Also, let me know if you are still down to come watch the fight.
                  "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                    Rest assured, it is the highest.
                    That's what all you Stage 5's would like to think. Stage 6 is where it's at. I don't even remember what Stage 5 is like.
                    http://faculty.plts.edu/gpence/html/fowler.htm
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      That's what all you Stage 5's would like to think. Stage 6 is where it's at. I don't even remember what Stage 5 is like.
                      http://faculty.plts.edu/gpence/html/fowler.htm
                      I know Stage 6ers, and I can say you sir are no stage 6er!
                      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                        I know Stage 6ers, and I can say you sir are no stage 6er!
                        Classic Stage 3 response.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                          I have a question for you UD, one that I've never really understood: Why in the world do you hold your tongue when you drink Francesca? And what the crap does that even mean??

Glad to hear you're enjoying what you do and that you didn't decide to do what I do. Kidding of course, but I doubt you would have found your need for intellectual competition satisfied in my world.
                          You will have to ask Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                            Classic Stage 3 response.
                            So what is the JS is full of shit stage?
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                              So what is the JS is full of shit stage?
                              You're just in denial that Jerry Seinfeld was a comedic genius, though I will grant you that he owes a considerable debt to Larry David.

Comment

Working...
                              X