Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of a distraction is the Heisman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a distraction is the Heisman?

Obviously teams win and lose games, not individual players, but the record of Heisman winners in their bowl games, especially QBs, is not great over the last few years…

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State - Lost

2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska - Lost

2002 Carson Palmer USC - Won

2003 Jason White Oklahoma - Lost

2004 Matt Leinart USC - Won

2005 Reggie Bush USC - Lost

2006 Troy Smith Ohio State - Lost

2007 Tim Tebow Florida - Lost

I am glad Ty Detmer didn't fall into that trap.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 8BR View Post
      Obviously teams win and lose games, not individual players, but the record of Heisman winners in their bowl games, especially QBs, is not great over the last few years…

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State - Lost

2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska - Lost

2002 Carson Palmer USC - Won

2003 Jason White Oklahoma - Lost

2004 Matt Leinart USC - Won

2005 Reggie Bush USC - Lost

2006 Troy Smith Ohio State - Lost

2007 Tim Tebow Florida - Lost
      I am guessing that Babs is now rooting for Tebow to go Archie Griffin after reading this post.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        I am guessing that Babs is now rooting for Tebow to go Archie Griffin after reading this post.
        No, I decided it's worth the risk. I already knew about the Heisman curse.

I don't think Sam'll win, though, because I think the big12-leaning voters will split their number one votes, leaving Tim with the trophy. If not Tim, Colt will probably win as a sort of consolation prize for the Longhorns. I know that's terrible to say -- I don't mean that he's not worthy -- but the Longhorns have a lot of sympathy right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
          No, I decided it's worth the risk. I already knew about the Heisman curse.

I don't think Sam'll win, though, because I think the big12-leaning voters will split their number one votes, leaving Tim with the trophy. If not Tim, Colt will probably win as a sort of consolation prize for the Longhorns. I know that's terrible to say -- I don't mean that he's not worthy -- but the Longhorns have a lot of sympathy right now.
          What's odd this year is among the 3 qb's, the numbers are off the charts. Passing touchdowns vs interceptions, for example. Tebow's are not quite as good, but he has some rushing yards to go with the passing numbers. Tebow won it last yr but some east coast homers and those that put a lot of weight on the SEC championship game will lean that way. As Babs said, the rest might be split between Colt and Sam, with Colt getting the sympathy vote. The other benefit to Sam (besides dodging the jinx) not getting the Heisman is that the desire for the Heisman in 09 will be one more thing to keep him from going pro -- there is some risk of that with the NFL rookie salary caps proposed for next year's draft.

Comment

Originally posted by hyrum View Post
            What's odd this year is among the 3 qb's, the numbers are off the charts. Passing touchdowns vs interceptions, for example. Tebow's are not quite as good, but he has some rushing yards to go with the passing numbers. Tebow won it last yr but some east coast homers and those that put a lot of weight on the SEC championship game will lean that way. As Babs said, the rest might be split between Colt and Sam, with Colt getting the sympathy vote. The other benefit to Sam (besides dodging the jinx) not getting the Heisman is that the desire for the Heisman in 09 will be one more thing to keep him from going pro -- there is some risk of that with the NFL rookie salary caps proposed for next year's draft.
            I doubt Sam will go pro this year, regardless of whether he wins the Heisman or the national title. For one, he's a sophomore, and QBs tend to benefit from increased experience and maturity. There's also the fact that there's expected to be an awful lot of QB talent available for the draft this year.

Comment

I doubt Sam will go pro this year, regardless of whether he wins the Heisman or the national title. For one, he's a sophomore, and QBs tend to benefit from increased experience and maturity. There's also the fact that there's expected to be an awful lot of QB talent available for the draft this year.
              Also, he likely is taking a lot of career advice from Josh Heupel right now.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I actually think that he will go pro. If he waits one more year he could lose out on a ton of money with the collective bargaining agreement being restructured. One of the biggest things that they want to change is the amount rookies get paid. This would definitely effect Bradford. Waiting a year in his case could cost this kid a ton of money. You can bet he has about 10 agents in his ear right now telling him about the millions that he could possibly miss out on if he waits another year.

With the first pick int he 2009 NFL draft, the Detroit Lion select Sam Bradford Quarterback Oklahoma....... Or Micheal Crabtree. They tend to go wide out when they have a top 10 pick don't they.
                "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                X