When the dust settles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the dust settles

there are two, check that, three things to watch for that will dictate what type of season BYU has.

1.) Harvey Unga's health. This breaks down into many other variables including the capability of his back ups being trustworthy enough to keep Harvey averaging about 20 touches per game.

2.) Russel Tialeeva/ the gut. While David Nixon is a huge loss, I am convinced that if Russel T can be better than last year and the ILBs can be better than last year the outside will be fine with the DEs, OLBs and safeties. However, if BYU has to protect the inside like a Provo Prom Queen protects her canned peaches on prom night, Jaimie Hill won't improve his popularity.

3.) Whether or not Non-Sequitar is "entertained" and can have more fun than he had as a BYU fan during the Crowton era. That shit is deeply important.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

The dropoff between Hall and Gaskins is more pronounced than the dropoff from Unga to whomever else. Not that we can really afford to lose either one of them.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      The dropoff between Hall and Gaskins is more pronounced than the dropoff from Unga to whomever else. Not that we can really afford to lose either one of them.
      Well obviously that one goes without saying.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Hall, Unga, Reynolds, Willing, Pitta, Jacobsen, the defensive backfield. Injuries to any of those takes this team from good or maybe very good to average.

Comment

I would add Max Hall's ability to perform well against outstanding secondaries as a major factor. The pattern is that Utah and TCU can negate him with smart planning and skilled players on defense. In addition to his decision-making skills, I question Max's arms strength and hope it has improved this offseason.

If these things don't change, here's to another second- or third-place finish in the MWC.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            Hall, Unga, Reynolds, Willing, Pitta, Jacobsen, the defensive backfield. Injuries to any of those takes this team from good or maybe very good to average.
            If Reynolds goes down it makes the position thin, but I think Hansen will be able to step up and fill in nicely. Same thing goes with Willing, Freeman and H. Reynolds are both back from their missions and T. Alletto is a very nice Freshman prospect.

I wonder just how good Andrew George is, I dont think we'll ever know the answer to that unless Pitta goes down with injury some time this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby Soho View Post
              If Reynolds goes down it makes the position thin, but I think Hansen will be able to step up and fill in nicely. Same thing goes with Willing, Freeman and H. Reynolds are both back from their missions and T. Alletto is a very nice Freshman prospect.

I wonder just how good Andrew George is, I dont think we'll ever know the answer to that unless Pitta goes down with injury some time this season.
              Wow, I think this is the most optimism I have ever heard from you.

Ahhhhhh, the beginning of Fall with a crispness in the air, the leaves turning, the faint sound of whistles on the gridiron, the smell of kettle corn wafting, and hope springing eternal.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post

Ahhhhhh, the beginning of Fall with a crispness in the air, the leaves turning, the faint sound of whistles on the gridiron, the smell of kettle corn wafting, and hope springing eternal.
                A wonderful time of year to be sure.

Comment

Whaaaa?

I give props when they're deserving. I've just been pessimistic lately because last year wasn't that fun. I'm optimistic that changes will be made with regards to playcalling on both the Defense and Offense this season.

If we play like garbage against Tulane the Ruby Soho circa Sept. 08' will return in a flash. If we take care of business in NOLA and beat FSU (like we should) at home, you'll see the cheery Ruby of 07' once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                    3.) Whether or not Non-Sequitar is "entertained" and can have more fun than he had as a BYU fan during the Crowton era. That shit is deeply important.
                    Just when my dislike for Bronco is at its highest, I see this photo:

Now I want to hang out with his brothers. Bronco can come along too if he wears his leathers and promises not to talk about firesides.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

How does a BYU fan dislike Bronco?
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby Soho View Post
                        Whaaaa?

I give props when they're deserving. I've just been pessimistic lately because last year wasn't that fun. I'm optimistic that changes will be made with regards to playcalling on both the Defense and Offense this season.

If we play like garbage against Tulane the Ruby Soho circa Sept. 08' will return in a flash. If we take care of business in NOLA and beat FSU (like we should) at home, you'll see the cheery Ruby of 07' once again.
                        I concur. The OU game is a paid beating on national TV. I get it, I don't expect a close game and I just hope the Cougars play with heart and mind (the great equalizers) for 4 quarters. If the Cougars keep it to a three TD loss, I am satisfied.

The big game is in NOLA, long roadie for the second straight week, going into a game where you have nothing to win and everything to lose. If the Cougars go down there and play well, I will be a happy fan. If they struggle and (gasp) lose that game..I...I just don't know what will happen.

Additionally, if the Cougars win at home against FSU (which any legit top 25 team should be able to do) a 2-1 record is just peachy and they are primed to take care of business the rest of the season (although I still have them losing to TCU and a 50/50 chance against the Utes).

Comment

Originally posted by HotBox View Post
                          (although I still have them losing to TCU and a 50/50 chance against the Utes).
                          I agree about the Utes.

There is no way BYU will lose to TCU this year. The year will be the exact replica of BYU and TCU's year last year--in reverse. TCU is concerned about the national picture and going BCS, while BYU will be hellbent on revenge.

If you saw Gary Patterson's media interviews at the MWC days, well, it's starting already.

Comment

I agree about the Utes.

There is no way BYU will lose to TCU this year. The year will be the exact replica of BYU and TCU's year last year--in reverse. TCU is concerned about the national picture and going BCS, while BYU will be hellbent on revenge.
                            If that's all that mattered I'd agree with you.

But being "hellbent on revenge" only takes you so far. Wyoming hates BYU and I'm sure they are hellbent on beating them every time they play.

Comment

I know this sounds simplistic, but in my opinion any successful season hinges upon two things: the line of scrimmage and special teams. Most close games are won or lost with special teams, and controlling the line of scrimmage keeps most games close. Y'all know a lot more about the rosters and the matchups that I do, and Goatnapper's colorful metaphors make any of his posts worth reading, so I'm not really commenting yea or nay on the points laid out, just giving my perspective on what will make this season an overall success.
                              sigpic
                              "Outlined against a blue, gray
                              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                              X