PDA

View Full Version : Anderson/Sitake exchange

jay santos
12-08-2008, 09:54 AM
The way that played out was great for BYU.

Anderson is a great DC. Yes, KW is the brains behind the system but without Anderson I expect the U's defense to drop a notch without a quality DC. Sitake is not a quality DC. He's an offensive player who's only been in the coaching business a few years.

Sitake's a good nitch recruiter for Polynesian recruits, but as a DC he won't be taken seriously.

RockyBalboa
12-08-2008, 11:09 AM

Anderson is a great DC. Yes, KW is the brains behind the system but without Anderson I expect the U's defense to drop a notch without a quality DC. Sitake is not a quality DC. He's an offensive player who's only been in the coaching business a few years.

Sitake's a good nitch recruiter for Polynesian recruits, but as a DC he won't be taken seriously.

The logic here is if you played offense you can't be a good defensive coach.

Alrighty then.....

Surfah
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM

Alrighty then.....

Of course it does....Brother Edwards was a defensive guy remember? Look how that turned out. :rolleyes:

Mormon Red Death
12-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Utah is doomed...

jay santos
12-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Alrighty then.....

No. But the combination of only a few years coaching experience + being offensive player is bad. Not playing the position in college or NFL doesn't mean you can't become a good coach at it, but it puts you behind.

jay santos
12-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Utah is doomed...

Did I say you were doomed? All I really care about Utah is how it relates to BYU. So your coaching change is more interesting to me than you in a BCS game because it affects us in recruiting and future matchups with you. Sitake for Anderson is a great trade from a BYU perspective.

RockyBalboa
12-08-2008, 11:50 AM
No. But the combination of only a few years coaching experience + being offensive player is bad. Not playing the position in college or NFL doesn't mean you can't become a good coach at it, but it puts you behind.

You have a lot to learn about coaching.

jay santos
12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
You have a lot to learn about coaching.

So what part of my post do you find wrong?

"No. But the combination of only a few years coaching experience + being offensive player is bad. Not playing the position in college or NFL doesn't mean you can't become a good coach at it, but it puts you behind. "

cougjunkie
12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I have seen plenty of offensive players, coach the defensive side of the ball. It happens all the time. Most of them are position coaches for several years like Sitake. The thing that Sitake will struggle with is running the whole defense, blitzing schemes, coverages, etc. Because he hasnt seen that stuff as much as other coaches (youth as well as no time on that side of the ball). Other coaches can rely on stuff from their playing days where Sitake doesnt have that to draw upon.

Just my opinion. Mainly though its youth and lack of experience.

RockyBalboa
12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
So what part of my post do you find wrong?

"No. But the combination of only a few years coaching experience + being offensive player is bad. Not playing the position in college or NFL doesn't mean you can't become a good coach at it, but it puts you behind. "

Oh I don't know...maybe the dripping combo of arrogance and ignorance behind the statement.....take your pick.

jay santos
12-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh I don't know...maybe the dripping combo of arrogance and ignorance behind the statement.....take your pick.

His lack of playing defense in college or NFL puts him "behind". (i.e. Brandon Doman's career playing QB in college and NFL and constant interaction with his position coach put him ahead of Sitake in year 1 of their coaching careers--not saying Sitake can't make it up over time)

Combine that with lack of experience coaching even at the position level, and you have the reason that most BYU fans have no fear of Sitake at the DC level and most U fans are scratching their heads at the pick.

jay santos
12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I have seen plenty of offensive players, coach the defensive side of the ball. It happens all the time. Most of them are position coaches for several years like Sitake. The thing that Sitake will struggle with is running the whole defense, blitzing schemes, coverages, etc. Because he hasnt seen that stuff as much as other coaches (youth as well as no time on that side of the ball). Other coaches can rely on stuff from their playing days where Sitake doesnt have that to draw upon.

Just my opinion. Mainly though its youth and lack of experience.

Rocky, junkie just repeated exactly what I said about Sitake.

jay santos
12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Of course it does....Brother Edwards was a defensive guy remember? Look how that turned out. :rolleyes:

Lavell didn't know the first thing about offense. He had to delegate it all.

Not that that point really matters to this discussion. I never claimed an offensive player can't make a good defensive coach or vice versa.

RockyBalboa
12-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Rocky, junkie just repeated exactly what I said about Sitake.

Oh well in that case since Junkies opinions (I mean it) are actually respected on here then I'll defer to you.

You win.

In truth I get your point Jay, I just think it's a little ridiculous to assume he's gonna suck just because he never played defense at either level. He's been a coach for several years now, and like many coaches he's just making the next progressive step.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Utahs D take a little step back, but they'll be running virtually the same system.

Indy Coug
12-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Is Sitake even 30 years old yet? His problem is inexperience. Anyone with half a brain would acknowledge that.

cougjunkie
12-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh well in that case since Junkies opinions (I mean it) are actually respected on here then I'll defer to you.

You win.

In truth I get your point Jay, I just think it's a little ridiculous to assume he's gonna suck just because he never played defense at either level. He's been a coach for several years now, and like many coaches he's just making the next progressive step.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Utahs D take a little step back, but they'll be running virtually the same system.

We all know that Whittingham is going to be the one running the defense, so they wont take much of step back if any. Sitake will be nothing but a title for a while until he gets more acclimated to the position. Kyle is one of the best defensive coaches in CFB in my opinion so I think they will be just fine.

jay santos
12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
We all know that Whittingham is going to be the one running the defense, so they wont take much of step back if any. Sitake will be nothing but a title for a while until he gets more acclimated to the position. Kyle is one of the best defensive coaches in CFB in my opinion so I think they will be just fine.

I don't know how involved KW has been the last few years with the U's D, so this is kind of a guess.

I see it like this. KW and Anderson have been together a long time. Anderson can coach the D exactly like KW wants. Anderson can scout, game plan, make calls, etc. just like KW would. So though the D looks exactly like KW's D's, Anderson is really the one doing it. So with Anderson leaving, that means KW will have to get A LOT more involved with the D than he has or it will suffer.

We saw how Bronco moving to head coach has affected his D and he admitted it. Even with a solid DC running it, it still is not up to snuff compared to Bronco's D's as a coordinator.

Fiyero
12-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Urban Meyer played DB for Cincinnati. Who was he to create a college version of Walsh's west coast offense?

<doomed>

Flystripper
12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Who was he to create a college version of Walsh's west coast offense?

<doomed>
Walsh's West Coast Offense isn't even close to what Urban runs. Your point is value though. Urban has been a very good offense coach.

cougjunkie
12-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Urban Meyer played DB for Cincinnati. Who was he to create a college version of Walsh's west coast offense?

<doomed>

How long did that take? How many years was he an assistant? Now compare that to Sitake.

cougjunkie
12-08-2008, 12:44 PM

<doomed>

Here I will do it for you:

Meyer spent 14 years as an assistant before his first head coaching gig. None of those years was he a coordinator, always a position coach. He coached offense in all but one of those years. (In 1988 he coached DBs at Illinois state).

Kalani Sitake, was a G/A at BYU, then he went and coached the secondary at Eastern Arizona for one season, but immediately returned the offensive side of the ball coaching running backs and tight ends at SUU in 2003 and 2004. I also gave him to much credit he is actually just the inside linebackers coach at Utah where he has been since 2005.

UteStar
12-08-2008, 01:55 PM

I will agree with that...it will be interesting to see how Sitake grows in to the position. It is a risky move but Whitt knows how important that job is so hopefully he has seen a lot in Sitake, at least enough to go with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle spends a couple of years managing it and hopefully Sitake can take it over sooner rather than later. I guess we'll see.

SeattleUte
12-08-2008, 02:14 PM

And you know the first thing about what you're saying because. . . why?

SeattleUte
12-08-2008, 02:16 PM

Junkie is one of the more balanced BYU fans when critiquing programs. I know that's hard for him because he has darker impulses. Hats off to Junkie.

Solon
12-08-2008, 02:25 PM
The thing that Sitake will struggle with is running the whole defense, blitzing schemes, coverages, etc.

Good point, junkie. I think so too. Seeing the whole picture and making schematic adjustments is tough to do (esp. at first).