PDA

View Full Version : Conversation Voyeur

chrisrenrut
07-25-2009, 11:00 PM
You won't see a lot of posts from me. I like to read almost every topic here to see other people's opinions and perspectives. I'll only post when I feel I have something to add that brings value or humor to the conversation. (I know that applies to most people, but my self-edit level is set pretty high).

That being said, I love this board. There is a good mix of posters here. I especially like that the Utah/BYU sports conversation are mostly intelligent and don't seem to deteriorate into pissing matches (so far, we'll see what November brings).

I work for one of the nation's largest banks in their internet banking division. I go to nearly all Utah football and basketball home games, and some away games. Highlights of my fandom include attending the 98 final four, and the Fiesta and Sugar bowl despite limited resources. Whatever financial sacrifices were made at the time were absolutely worth it. They were also great payoffs for suffering through the great disappointments of football in the 80's.

I'm married, active LDS, and live in South Davis county, UT.

Random quirky facts:

The strangest thing I have ever done is mountain bike naked down the Bountiful side of Skyline Drive (from Bountiful Peak) after dark. More than once.

My wife is 20 years older than me, though you wouldn't know it by looking at her. I had step grandkids at age 25.

I already have a love/hate relationship with the Cycle Shop forum. I used to bike mountain and road quite a bit, but developed chronic tendonitis in my knee and can't bike seriously anymore. I love reading about it, but it always makes me a little sad.

My avatar is a picture of Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason from The Hustler. I have a 16x20 print of it hanging in my billiard room. I love pool, but like golf, I'm a good-but-not-great player.

Now you know way more about me than I'm sure you wanted. I'll go back to mostly lurking.

BigPiney
07-25-2009, 11:34 PM
I already have a love/hate relationship with the Cycle Shop forum. I used to bike mountain and road quite a bit, but developed chronic tendonitis in my knee and can't bike seriously anymore. I love reading about it, but it always makes me a little sad.

That sucks. My tendonitis only seems to really flare when I play basketball, and then it will hurt bad for a week or so. Never has the bike cause any pain in that way. Just get a cortisone shot in that sucker and get out there and ride. And welcome.

Tim
07-26-2009, 12:18 AM
My wife is 20 years older than me, though you wouldn't know it by looking at her. I had step grandkids at age 25.

I'm curious to know more about the story here, as it's quite out of the ordinary. Way cool, though. Would you mind telling us how you ended up marrying someone that much older than you?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
07-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Welcome, I think Davis Co. is starting to have some nice representation here. You should post more, you seem like a cool, interesting guy.

chrisrenrut
07-26-2009, 07:39 AM
She was a cougar and I was a horny young RM. . . just kidding.

We got to be friends as we worked together. She had been a single mother for about 20 years, raising 4 kids on her own. She is a full blooded Navajo, which is interesting but irrelevant to the story. We had a lot in common so the friendship was easy. We mostly talked at work, but would occassionally do fun things outside of work such as hiking or going to games. I was working and going to school, and wasn't dating much because I didn't need the distractions at that time. I didn't see our friendship as dating, although I found out later that she did. As our friendship grew, I grew to love her. After about 16 months, I told her I loved her and within a couple of weeks we were engaged.

As i said, she is much younger in appearance and spirit than her birth certificate would indicate. She has a cheery personality, amazing work ethic, and I had to admire all that she was able to accomplish on her own raising her kids.

Her kids knew me just a little, her oldest is 3 years younger than me, and her youngest was 14 at the time. They seemed to accept me pretty well, after the initial shock. It's 12 years later now and I have great releationships with each of them.

I knew I was probably giving up the opportunity to have children of my own, but I try to keep a more eternal perspective on that. Also, she was a pretty die-hard BYU fan, and that was the only other reason to give me pause. However, I accepted that character flaw, and have since converted her to being a Ute fan. I knew the conversion was complete when she attended the Utah/Wyoming game in 2004 in Laramie.

Tim
07-26-2009, 07:49 AM

We got to be friends as we worked together. She had been a single mother for about 20 years, raising 4 kids on her own. She is a full blooded Navajo, which is interesting but irrelevant to the story. We had a lot in common so the friendship was easy. We mostly talked at work, but would occassionally do fun things outside of work such as hiking or going to games. I was working and going to school, and wasn't dating much because I didn't need the distractions at that time. I didn't see our friendship as dating, although I found out later that she did. As our friendship grew, I grew to love her. After about 16 months, I told her I loved her and within a couple of weeks we were engaged.

As i said, she is much younger in appearance and spirit than her birth certificate would indicate. She has a cheery personality, amazing work ethic, and I had to admire all that she was able to accomplish on her own raising her kids.

Her kids knew me just a little, her oldest is 3 years younger than me, and her youngest was 14 at the time. They seemed to accept me pretty well, after the initial shock. It's 12 years later now and I have great releationships with each of them.

I knew I was probably giving up the opportunity to have children of my own, but I try to keep a more eternal perspective on that. Also, she was a pretty die-hard BYU fan, and that was the only other reason to give me pause. However, I accepted that character flaw, and have since converted her to being a Ute fan. I knew the conversion was complete when she attended the Utah/Wyoming game in 2004 in Laramie.

Such a unique experience! Thank you for sharing.

byu71
07-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Welcome, I am glad to have you here.

TripletDaddy
07-26-2009, 08:12 AM
chrisrenrut, welcome to the family. I hope you post more because your intro is very thoughtful and compelling. Sounds like you are a cool guy and would fit in here just fine, esp given your love of cycling.

I, too, love the Hustler. I love that you have a billiard room. We should get together and consummate our love....for billiards, sicko!

My standard question: sports allegiances in all categories, not just college. I think it is safe to assume a Utah man are you.

ps Naked mountain biking? chrisrenrut....YOU are a madman! I want to party with you, cowboy. I mean, the two of us together....forget it!

Jeff Lebowski
07-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Welcome to non-lurker status. Good to have you here.

Jarid in Cedar
07-26-2009, 10:34 AM

This is a great story. It shows that love is not bridled by conformation. The best part of the story is you converting her to a Ute fan. Awesome!

Babs
07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
This is a great story. It shows that love is not bridled by conformation. The best part of the story is you converting her to a Ute fan. Awesome!

I love the story because it defies the stereotype.

pellegrino
07-26-2009, 11:57 AM
The best part of the story is you converting her to a Ute fan. Awesome!

That's the true miracle here. It's got to be tough to go from the one and true blue to the false robes of commie red;) (I take no responsibility for that one as my father invented it years ago when Reagan was president, it just spilled out as I was typing).

Welcome chrisrenrut, I do hope your self edit level lowers enough for us to get to know you better through other threads.

wuapinmon
07-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Welcome chrisrenrut.....please answer the following question, but choose carefully, as our future dealings may depend upon how you answer.

Do you think the Shivwitz Band of the Paiute Indians sounds like a Jewish name, and does that have any Book of Mormon significance? Also, if one is seeking to avoid cussing, and instead of screaming "SHIT" when one, for instance, stubs one's toe, would instead yelping, "SHIVWITZ.......SHOULD HAVE FEDERAL WATER RIGHTS!" be a borderline-acceptable use of their name? I have done this, but I don't want to offend.

(In all seriousness, here's something I wrote a few years ago about American Indians: http://wuapinmon.blogspot.com/2006/04/native-americans-and-native-americans.html)

Jarid in Cedar
07-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Welcome chrisrenrut.....please answer the following question, but choose carefully, as our future dealings may depend upon how you answer.

Do you think the Shivwitz Band of the Paiute Indians sounds like a Jewish name, and does that have any Book of Mormon significance? Also, if one is seeking to avoid cussing, and instead of screaming "SHIT" when one, for instance, stubs one's toe, would instead yelping, "SHIVWITZ.......SHOULD HAVE FEDERAL WATER RIGHTS!" be a borderline-acceptable use of their name? I have done this, but I don't want to offend.

(In all seriousness, here's something I wrote a few years ago about American Indians: http://wuapinmon.blogspot.com/2006/04/native-americans-and-native-americans.html)

The Shiv is a sight to behold. We cover medical care for the Paiute tribe in the 5 county area.

Jarid in Cedar
07-26-2009, 01:48 PM
That's the true miracle here. It's got to be tough to go from the one and true blue to the false robes of commie red;) (I take no responsibility for that one as my father invented it years ago when Reagan was president, it just spilled out as I was typing).

Welcome chrisrenrut, I do hope your self edit level lowers enough for us to get to know you better through other threads.

Just think, we traded chrisrenrut's wife for ExUte straight up. That is about as lopsided as the Gasol trade.

pellegrino
07-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Just think, we traded chrisrenrut's wife for ExUte straight up. That is about as lopsided as the Gasol trade.

I didn't say it was fair, just miraculous.

LA Ute
07-26-2009, 02:23 PM
chrisenrut, if you can at least be neutral about the Dodgers and the Lakers, there is a chance I'll like you (and maybe Triplet Daddy will too). If you actually cheer for those teams, then you may have to get a restraining order to keep TD away from you.

chrisrenrut
07-26-2009, 03:17 PM

I don't know too much Hebrew, so I can't really say. However, we are visiting in New York in September so I'll see if I can bone up (on my Hebrew DDD).

When I hear Shivwits it reminds me of something you would hear in prison.

wuapinmon
07-26-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't know too much Hebrew, so I can't really say. However, we are visiting in New York in September so I'll see if I can bone up (on my Hebrew DDD).

When I hear Shivwits it reminds me of something you would hear in prison.

We shall be great friends if you can put up with all my shivwitz.......need federal water rights.

Jarid in Cedar
07-26-2009, 06:51 PM
We shall be great friends if you can put up with all my shivwitz.......need federal water rights.

Insert hum and haw here.

whoneedscorners?
07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Did you wear a cup on your mountain biking excursion? That sounds painful.

chrisrenrut
07-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Did you wear a cup on your mountain biking excursion? That sounds painful.

After pedaling from the valley floor to Bountiful peak, I wasn't feeling much of anything down there. One of the few things I don't miss about being on the bike. This was before the seats with the middle cut out.

That is a very fast fireroad descent. I would usually pass cars coming down. A night there isn't much traffic up there, usually just some teenagers goofing off. One night there was a couple of car loads of kids on the side of the road just above deadman's curve. They could only see my light as I came down towards them, but they got an eyeful after I passed them and they could see me from behind.