PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the Utah Utes

TripletDaddy
12-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Sugar Bowl vs Alabama, SEC powerhouse.

Doesn't get too much cooler than that. The Utes have earned bragging rights this season, regardless of the outcome (which i dont think will end well for the Utes).

Regardless, nice season and really nice bowl game.

Now go out there and see how you measure up. And day that can shut up the SEC is a nice day.

YOhio
12-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Sycophant.

TripletDaddy
12-07-2008, 06:45 PM
It's called A+ sportsmanship. You might want to look into getting some.

You are an embarrassment to Chad Lewis and Notre Dame fans everywhere.

cougjunkie
12-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Yep congrats Utefans. Who wants to go to the war zone that is called New Orleans and play the former number 1 team in the country, when you can go to LAS VEGAS, and play 7-5 Arizona who you have played 3 years in a row?

YOhio
12-07-2008, 06:49 PM
It's called A+ sportsmanship. You might want to look into getting some.

You are an embarrassment to Chad Lewis and Notre Dame fans everywhere.

Q: What happened when a Ute fan shifted his rear end?

A: Triple Dad broke his nose.

TripletDaddy
12-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Q: What happened when a Ute fan shifted his rear end?

A: Triple Dad broke his nose.

grow up.

Don't you have any campus lawns you could be cutting across right now?

You probably didn't stop for the national anthem in the evening and you likely left before the closing prayer at Tuesday devotionals.

Shaka
12-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Yep congrats Utefans. Who wants to go to the war zone that is called New Orleans and play the former number 1 team in the country, when you can go to LAS VEGAS, and play 7-5 Arizona who you have played 3 years in a row?

Amazingly I am considering going to the Sugar Bowl over Vegas. I know I know but I've been to Vegas for the last three years and N.O. for New Years might be fun.

Brian
12-07-2008, 07:08 PM

game? We just want to go and get all the whiskey on Bourbon St.

Shaka
12-07-2008, 07:18 PM
game? We just want to go and get all the whiskey on Bourbon St.

I obey the WofW.

It's the strippers I want.

YOhio
12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
grow up.

Now I know how Joan of Arc felt.

Coach McGuirk
12-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Now I know how Joan of Arc felt.

Big mouth.

Brian
12-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I obey the WofW.

Rocky and I call BS on this.

OrangeUte
12-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm looking for airfares to N.O. and they are pretty expensive from NorCal. Hopefully a deal will show itself. I don't want to pay more than $400 roundtrip, and ideally, less.

Jeff Lebowski
12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
And Texas gets tOSU in the Fiesta Bowl. Whoop-de-freakin-do. How am I supposed to talk smack with Pelagius? He is too nice and I am not sure he even cares about OSU football.

smokymountainrain
12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Perfect matchup for the utes. They get to play an overrated Alabama team, who they really can beat and because of the respect Bama has nationally, it would be a much bigger win than Boise's win over OU.

Big time opportunity for Utah.

TripletDaddy
12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Perfect matchup for the utes. They get to play an overrated Alabama team, who they really can beat and because of the respect Bama has nationally, it would be a much bigger win than Boise's win over OU.

Big time opportunity for Utah.

Why exactly are they overrated? Maybe I missed something.

TripletDaddy
12-07-2008, 09:49 PM
And Texas gets tOSU in the Fiesta Bowl. Whoop-de-freakin-do. How am I supposed to talk smack with Pelagius? He is too nice and I am not sure he even cares about OSU football.

I think Pelagius is rad and possibly the best poster on this site.

btw, pelagius, have you decided to stay on at OSU next season? I think you could have a tremendous impact if you were to continue your career there, at least through the upcoming football season.

ERCougar
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM

What have they done that Utah hasn't?

Clue on identifying overrated teams: when the human polls get you your rating, you're overrated. Bama, USC, tOSU...all overrated.

Babs
12-07-2008, 10:40 PM
because of the respect Bama has nationally, it would be a much bigger win than Boise's win over OU.

holy shit. Man, you guys aren't pulling any punches.

woot
12-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Wow did I just see that Ohio State was chosen over Texas Tech? What a mess the BCS is again this year.

Also, it's Cinci vs. V Tech in the BCS version of a pillow fight.

Babs
12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
What have they done that Utah hasn't?

Clue on identifying overrated teams: when the human polls get you your rating, you're overrated. Bama, USC, tOSU...all overrated.

You define overrated as a disparity between the human and computer ranking?

I think Alabama's legit. USC is not their usual self, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt. tOSU, well, they'd better hope Texas goes easy on them.

Babs
12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Wow did I just see that Ohio State was chosen over Texas Tech? What a mess the BCS is again this year.

The Big 12 can't have three teams.

Jeff Lebowski
12-07-2008, 10:44 PM
The Big 12 can't have three teams.

Yet another stupid rule.

ERCougar
12-07-2008, 10:45 PM
You define overrated as a disparity between the human and computer ranking?

I think Alabama's legit. USC is not their usual self, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt. tOSU, well, they'd better hope Texas goes easy on them.

I just threw in USC to bug DDD. But again, I'll throw out the question: what has Alabama done that Utah hasn't? We all know what USC has done that Utah hasn't...

Babs
12-07-2008, 10:47 PM
I just threw in USC to bug DDD. But again, I'll throw out the question: what has Alabama done that Utah hasn't?

played in the SEC?

Babs
12-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Yet another stupid rule.

The computers have the three Big12 schools ranked 1, 2, and 4. And yet Tech's stuck playing unranked Ole Miss.

woot
12-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Yet another stupid rule.

Indeed. "We have a retarded rule that we made up" isn't exactly a great defense. It's really sad that we still have such a ridiculous system.

I'll be pulling pretty hard for Utah in their game. If they win, the BCS is exposed, and I would hope for some protest votes for Utah at #1. I think they'll get plastered, but I hope I'm wrong. I wish '04 Utah could have had a decent opponent, as I think that team was significantly better than this year's.

The other major point that the BCS made this year is that when comparing two teams, how they performed against a common opponent is much more important than how they performed against each other. That Oklahoma is in over Texas is a travesty.

ERCougar
12-07-2008, 10:55 PM
played in the SEC?

SEC 2008 <<< SEC any other year.

You BCS elitists are all the same. :)

Donuthole
12-07-2008, 11:00 PM
I obey the WofW.

It's the strippers I want.

Because there aren't any of those in Vegas. Or do you just prefer them missing a few teeth?

Babs
12-07-2008, 11:08 PM
The other major point that the BCS made this year is that when comparing two teams, how they performed against a common opponent is much more important than how they performed against each other. That Oklahoma is in over Texas is a travesty.

I assume you're talking about the Big12 title game?

That's actually not what it came down to. It came down to the computer rankings, and the fact that the Sooners had a significantly stronger non-conference schedule, having played the #11 and #12 teams; and the fact that the Sooners lost to the #2 team and Texas lost to the #7 team.

And if you step back from the BCS system, it's been this way for decades. The team that loses earlier has always had the edge in the post season. TDaddy mentioned it himself when his team lost.

I'm not unbiased and I know no one's going to take me seriously, but the "travesty" propaganda is being much exaggerated by the media.

BoylenOver
12-07-2008, 11:41 PM

That's actually not what it came down to. It came down to the computer rankings, and the fact that the Sooners had a significantly stronger non-conference schedule, having played the #11 and #12 teams; and the fact that the Sooners lost to the #2 team and Texas lost to the #7 team.

And if you step back from the BCS system, it's been this way for decades. The team that loses earlier has always had the edge in the post season. TDaddy mentioned it himself when his team lost.

I'm not unbiased and I know no one's going to take me seriously, but the "travesty" propaganda is being much exaggerated by the media.

Not to mention that Oklahoma has defeated 6 top-25 teams. They're the only ones to do that this year.

woot
12-07-2008, 11:51 PM

Oh I was in my lab for 12 hours today and don't own a TV so I don't know what anyone else is saying, but it just strikes me as odd that how Texas and Oklahoma performed against Texas Tech seems to have been more important than how they performed against each other. I'll grant that Oklahoma may have had the tougher schedule overall, but Texas beat them fair and square. I do agree that it ultimately came down to who lost when, not who actually had the better season. Florida is a good example of this as well.

Shaka
12-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Rocky and I call BS on this.

Rocky can vouch we've been to a bar (Keys on Main) together and I touched nary a trace of alcohol.

The strippers are nother matter entirely......

Babs
12-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Oh I was in my lab for 12 hours today and don't own a TV so I don't know what anyone else is saying, but it just strikes me as odd that how Texas and Oklahoma performed against Texas Tech seems to have been more important than how they performed against each other. I'll grant that Oklahoma may have had the tougher schedule overall, but Texas beat them fair and square.

I know that. And trust me, I'm "No Fair Barbara," and a Sooner fan to boot. I recognize the injustice of it all. But if it came down to head-to-head alone, then we can't discount Tech either. We'd be going round and round in circles indefinitely.

I do agree that it ultimately came down to who lost when, not who actually had the better season.

It's really REALLY hard to argue that Texas had a better season. You can argue that Texas beat Oklahoma fair and square (because they just plain did), but arguing that Texas had a stronger season is almost impossible.

smokymountainrain
12-08-2008, 08:49 AM

DDD, I apologize for the delayed response on this...

It's just my opinion. I haven't been impressed with them this year despite their undefeated record prior to the Florida game. Why haven't I been impressed, you ask?

They struggled against Tulane despite winning by a whopping 14 points in a 20-6 victory. They were fortunate to get by a bad Kentucky team 17-14. The next week, they struggled at home against a mediocre Mississippi team winning the game 24-20. They beat what has turned out to be a pretty bad LSU team by just six points in a 27-21 win. Their QB has a bad to mediocre QB rating of 123.

Bottom line...If UK, Miss and LSU can come within a TD of beating Bama (UK and Miss at Alabama), the utes can beat them on a neutral field.

ERCougar
12-08-2008, 09:18 AM

It's just my opinion. I haven't been impressed with them this year despite their undefeated record prior to the Florida game. Why haven't I been impressed, you ask?

They struggled against Tulane despite winning by a whopping 14 points in a 20-6 victory. They were fortunate to get by a bad Kentucky team 17-14. The next week, they struggled at home against a mediocre Mississippi team winning the game 24-20. They beat what has turned out to be a pretty bad LSU team by just six points in a 27-21 win. Their QB has a bad to mediocre QB rating of 123.

Bottom line...If UK, Miss and LSU can come within a TD of beating Bama (UK and Miss at Alabama), the utes can beat them on a neutral field.

Did you just bring the term "neutral field" into an argument with DDD?

Here we go...

TripletDaddy
12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I just threw in USC to bug DDD. But again, I'll throw out the question: what has Alabama done that Utah hasn't? We all know what USC has done that Utah hasn't...

USC has the top ranked defense in the country and given up fewer than 100 points all season.

You are right, Utah hasn't done that.

The undefeated card isn't as persuasive as its used to be, as many national champs now have one loss. In the case of LSU, two losses.

TripletDaddy
12-08-2008, 10:42 AM

Ok, fair points.

now apply the same logic to the Ute's season and discount many of their wins....crappy opponents, many of them, barely beating TCU on a last second drive, etc.

If you discount one team, you have to discount the other, so the net effect is the same.

cougjunkie
12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok, fair points.

now apply the same logic to the Ute's season and discount many of their wins....crappy opponents, many of them, barely beating TCU on a last second drive, etc.

If you discount one team, you have to discount the other, so the net effect is the same.

2 points over 3-9 Michigan, 3 points over 4-8 UNM, 7 points over AF, 3 points over TCU (and a last second drive), last second drive to beat Oregon State.

TripletDaddy
12-08-2008, 10:48 AM
2 points over 3-9 Michigan, 3 points over 4-8 UNM, 7 points over AF, 3 points over TCU (and a last second drive), last second drive to beat Oregon State.

Thanks, enough said.

Also, the TCU and OSU wins were at home, so they needed home cooking to pull it out of the hat.

By SMR's own logic, the Utes are overrated, not impressive, and will likely lose on a neutral field.

ERCougar
12-08-2008, 10:57 AM
USC has the top ranked defense in the country and given up fewer than 100 points all season.

You are right, Utah hasn't done that.

The undefeated card isn't as persuasive as its used to be, as many national champs now have one loss. In the case of LSU, two losses.

You're right. In fact, I don't even care who wins games--I just look at the stat sheet.

Hey, BYU was undefeated last year! Sweet.

TripletDaddy
12-08-2008, 11:09 AM
You're right. In fact, I don't even care who wins games--I just look at the stat sheet.

Hey, BYU was undefeated last year! Sweet.

I think you are trying to make a point here, but it isnt making sense. BYU was undefeated last year? What do you mean?

Calm down, breathe, try again.

What are you trying to say?

ERCougar
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I think you are trying to make a point here, but it isnt making sense. BYU was undefeated last year? What do you mean?

Calm down, breathe, try again.

What are you trying to say?

My point is that there is not a rational way of saying that USC is demonstrably better than Utah, based on any look at game outcomes. Common opponent? Utah wins. Computer rankings? Utah wins. Convoluted look at stat sheets? USC wins (I guess?).

TripletDaddy
12-08-2008, 11:18 AM
My point is that there is not a rational way of saying that USC is demonstrably better than Utah, based on any look at game outcomes. Common opponent? Utah wins. Computer rankings? Utah wins. Convoluted look at stat sheets? USC wins (I guess?).

Unless my reading comprehension is poor and yours is exceptionally strong, we were discussing that which USC has done and Utah has not.

Again, take a deep breath and go slowly. Stay on topic.

If there is no way to demonstrably show which team is better, why are you discussing it?

Also, which computer rankings are you talking about? The BCS rankings?

smokymountainrain
12-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Ok, fair points.

Fair enough.

ERCougar
12-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Unless my reading comprehension is poor and yours is exceptionally strong, we were discussing that which USC has done and Utah has not.

Again, take a deep breath and go slowly. Stay on topic.

If there is no way to demonstrably show which team is better, why are you discussing it?

Also, which computer rankings are you talking about? The BCS rankings?

I'm on topic. Try to follow...

1) What has USC done that Utah hasn't? Lost to OSU. Badly.

2) All I said is that there is no rational evidence (based on game outcomes) to show that USC>Utah. There's plenty to show Utah > USC--see points 1 and 3.

3) Yes, I'm referring to the BCS rankings.

Still confused?

TripletDaddy
12-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm on topic. Try to follow...

1) What has USC done that Utah hasn't? Lost to OSU. Badly.

2) All I said is that there is no rational evidence (based on game outcomes) to show that USC>Utah. There's plenty to show Utah > USC--see points 1 and 3.

3) Yes, I'm referring to the BCS rankings.

Still confused?

Yes, still confused.

USC lost to OSU by 6 points. That is losing badly?

Also, SC is ahead of Utah in the BCS rankings, so that is kind of confusing to me, too.

You aren't making sense. Stick to medicine.

ERCougar
12-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes, still confused.

USC lost to OSU by 6 points. That is losing badly?

Also, SC is ahead of Utah in the BCS rankings, so that is kind of confusing to me, too.

You aren't making sense. Stick to medicine.

I wish I could type slowly. Then maybe you'd pick this up...

1) Yes, USC came back to make that one close (sort of). Did you think they were going to win it? I didn't.

2) BCS computer rankings. Did you catch that? COMPUTER rankings. Remember how this all started? Overrated teams depend on ridiculous human polls to get their high BCS rankings? Again...talking about COMPUTER rankings.

Wow...is this that confusing?

TripletDaddy
12-08-2008, 11:34 AM

1) Yes, USC came back to make that one close (sort of). Did you think they were going to win it? I didn't.

2) BCS computer rankings. Did you catch that? COMPUTER rankings. Remember how this all started? Overrated teams depend on ridiculous human polls to get their high BCS rankings? Again...talking about COMPUTER rankings.

Wow...is this that confusing?

Apologies. I thought the BCS ranking was done by a computer and that human polls are only one component of the overall computer ranking. I guess you are saying that BCS rankings are human polls, not computer rankings? When I see numbers like .8756 and .7754, I sometimes mistaken assume that those are comuter rankings, not human rankings. My bad! Go Utes, ranked higher in the BCS COMPUTER rankings than SC!

Also, 6 points is a bad loss. Got it. Good point.

Someone better inform Vegas of this new info you have unearthed.

Also, I wonder why SC wasn't getting more credit for blowing out teams like Arizona by more than 6 points?

Surfah
12-08-2008, 11:36 AM

Maybe you could type slower for me too then. I thought USC was going to pull it out while watching that game.

ERCougar
12-08-2008, 11:53 AM
OK, since we're getting worked up over "bad", drop that part. I just remember seeing something like 21-0 at some point during that game, but I'm sure I didn't follow it as closely.

Computer rankings look at what was shown on the field, per final outcome. They don't care about what ESPN is saying, they don't care about who had better stats, they don't care about reputation, they don't care about how many 5-star recruits everyone has. They care about who won on the field, and how well those teams did against the rest of the competition. So, I don't think it's totally crazy to refer to BCS computer rankings when discussing what teams are getting a huge benefit-of-the-doubt by the human polls. USC is arguably one of those teams. Do they deserve it, based on past performance, underachieving, etc? Maybe. But the fact remains that if we measure USC and Utah by on-the-field performance, Utah wins.

pelagius
12-08-2008, 11:59 AM
OK, since we're getting worked up over "bad", drop that part. I just remember seeing something like 21-0 at some point during that game, but I'm sure I didn't follow it as closely.

Computer rankings look at what was shown on the field, per final outcome. They don't care about what ESPN is saying, they don't care about who had better stats, they don't care about reputation, they don't care about how many 5-star recruits everyone has. They care about who won on the field, and how well those teams did against the rest of the competition. So, I don't think it's totally crazy to refer to BCS computer rankings when discussing what teams are getting a huge benefit-of-the-doubt by the human polls. USC is arguably one of those teams. Do they deserve it, based on past performance, underachieving, etc? Maybe. But the fact remains that if we measure USC and Utah by on-the-field performance, Utah wins.

This is not entirely true. MOV victory based computer models (I am talking about statistical models not formula "models") like USC a lot. A pure MOV of victory model places USC at #2 and most MOV models with a dimminishing component would have USC ahead of Utah. As you get closer to a W/L based model (in terms of the functional form of the MOV component) then Utah final passes SC. The computers like SC too, just not the bad models the BCS is using.

TripletDaddy
12-08-2008, 12:59 PM
This is not entirely true. MOV victory based computer models (I am talking about statistical models not formula "models") like USC a lot. A pure MOV of victory model places USC at #2 and most MOV models with a dimminishing component would have USC ahead of Utah. As you get closer to a W/L based model (in terms of the functional form of the MOV component) then Utah final passes SC. The computers like SC too, just not the bad models the BCS is using.

smack down!

pelagius
12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
smack down!

Let's not get carried away.