Celiac Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celiac Disease

Anyone here know someone who has it or suffers from it? My wife will find out Wednsday if she has it, but we suspect she does. This will drastically change our diet, since she will no longer be able to eat anything with gluten.

Anyone know of a good place to research this disorder and to put together a menu?

Anyways, any help or info would be appreciated. The change in diet will be good since we are both overweight. Who knows, we may even start to excercise.

If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    Anyone here know someone who has it or suffers from it? My wife will find out Wednsday if she has it, but we suspect she does. This will drastically change our diet, since she will no longer be able to eat anything with gluten.

Anyone know of a good place to research this disorder and to put together a menu?

Anyways, any help or info would be appreciated. The change in diet will be good since we are both overweight. Who knows, we may even start to excercise.

I have some friends that have it - almost the whole family. I might be able to get some information from them. They were able to work around it quite nicely. At church functions, there were special foods, treats, etc. for their family (they almost always provided them) and I had them sometimes - different than the original recipe, to be sure, but definitely tasty. They lived a pretty normal life with a few diet tweaks.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Did she have a colonoscopy or a blood test?
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Elisabeth Hasselbeck has made a recent career out of speaking about her gluten-free existence.

Despite her off-the-charts levels of annoyance, I sometimes find myself imagining what she would look like covered in little more than gluten.

I honestly think it is because women that are so overtly pretentious like that are at home making hand-cam vids that will eventually surface for my consumption after she and Matt get divorced. I am dedicated to the First Amendment like that.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

She had endoscopy and they took a tissue sample from her stomach. Her symptoms are cramps, bloating, diarrhea and she also has acid reflux. Since they told her that she may have Celiac, she has made an effort not to eat wheat or gluten, and she says she feels way better, so we'll see.
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

She is also allergic to pretty much everything in the book. Most fruits, nuts, etc. will swell her up like a baloon. She is also lactose intolerant. Another reason for the stomach biopsy is she had H. Pylori bacteria and was treated for it months back, but they wanted to screen for cancer as well. Hopefully it is not cancer, and I doubt that it is, or they probabbly would have contacted her right away.

Comment

There is a good online support group. When I get to work tomorrow I will try to remember to look up the link.
              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                I have some friends that have it - almost the whole family. I might be able to get some information from them. They were able to work around it quite nicely. At church functions, there were special foods, treats, etc. for their family (they almost always provided them) and I had them sometimes - different than the original recipe, to be sure, but definitely tasty. They lived a pretty normal life with a few diet tweaks.
                We have some people in our ward with it too. We have gluten-free sacrament for them. One has to wear a little monitor thing, but the others had adapted their diets and appear to be fine.
                This space is available.

Comment

Here is that link to one of the better support groups.

http://www.celiac.com
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Results came back on my wife's biopsy, and no Celiac Disease, which is good news! Only thing they could find with the Endoscopy is acid reflux. She now is going in for an ultrasound.
                    Last edited by Drunk Tank; 07-22-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Results came back on my wife's biopsy, and no Celiac Disease, which is good news! Only thing they could find with the En is acid reflux. She now is going in for an ultrasound.
                      gall bladder ultrasound?

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Yes, Gall Bladder ultrasound.

Comment

We had a missionary in our ward in Texas for 4 months who was billed as having celiac disease. Everybody in the ward was educated on what they could feed the missionaries that was gluten-free. They were fed a lot of omelets and similar gluten-free meals.

When we had the missionaries over to our house, I decided to ask the Elder how he came to be diagnosed with celiac disease. The conversation went something like this:

Me: So how did you find out that you had celiac disease.

Elder: Well, my mom told me about it. I didn't have any energy when I was eating gluten. Then I decided to switch to a gluten-free diet and I felt so much better.

Me: Did you ever see a doctor about it?

Elder: No, I just figured it out by myself.

Me: And you just felt tired all the time? Did you ever have diarrhea or upset stomach or weight loss or a rash?

Elder: Nope. But I have so much more energy when I don't eat gluten.

Me: Interesting. Well you probably don't have celiac disease. You should go see a doctor about it.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty incredible that the guy put everybody in the ward on notice about something that was never diagnosed and basically forced his companions to a gluten-free diet at least for the meals with members. What a dummy.

Comment

Working...
                          X