What has happened to Tornado Tom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has happened to Tornado Tom?

Boonen has totally disappeared this year. 15 measly points and has been a complete non-factor in any bunch sprint.

This is the Cavendish show and there isn't a single person in the peleton that would argue with the fact. He has the best engine and the best lead-out in Hincapie and Renshaw. Listening to Tyler Farrer talk about him is almost like a 10 year old little leaguer talking about his favorite pro baseball player.

Oscar F has been in contention for a couple stage win, but that is mostly a stretch, as there really hasn't been much doubt who was going to win. The way I see it, the Green podium belongs to Cav, Hushovd and Farrer in that order. Assuming Cav stays wheel side down the rest of the tour and doesn't get completely oblitaterated in the mountains, you can go ahead and fill in his name on the winners line.

I was wondering the same thing. Is his team failing him or has he not recovered from his coke sprees of 2008? Who knows, but wow what a difference a year makes.

Comment

Boonen made a big deal out of how he was really going to try today and where did he finish something like fifteenth. I think his best days are behind him.

I love watching the lead outs these guys give their sprinters. Three or four guys driving the pelaton and then peeling off one by one until their guy is in place. It's a thing of beauty.

Comment

I think the "yes you can no you cant" drama of Boonen's lead up to the tour left him out of sorts. Plus he always lacked the panache of some of the top sprinters and I thik it shows here.

Think about he very best guys, like cippolini or McEwen, they have great lkes obviously but they also have the supreme arrogance and cockiness that lets them overcome temporary setbacks. Boonen does not seem to have that, and I am not sure farrar does, either. When Farrar crossed the line today he immediqately went up to Cavendish (catching him on the bike for th eifrst imte, I might add) and patted him oin the back to congratulate him. Iwould prefer to see him be pissed about losing again.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
        X