The Garmin Forerunner 305 questions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Garmin Forerunner 305 questions thread

I absolutely LOVE this thing. Used it in my 4th of July 6 miler and was amazed at the accuracy and ease of use. I do have some questions for those of you who have been using it for a while and I'm sure I'll have more as time goes by.

1) I can't find any screen that displays average HR. I see it and much more when I upload my workout to the computer, but I can't find much HR data on the unit itself.

2) Do you use any websites to store and track your data? I know that motionbased.com is the Garmin recommended site. I know h8er likes runningahead.com. Is there a site that has anything like the Nike+ challenges?

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I absolutely LOVE this thing. Used it in my 4th of July 6 miler and was amazed at the accuracy and ease of use. I do have some questions for those of you who have been using it for a while and I'm sure I'll have more as time goes by.

1) I can't find any screen that displays average HR. I see it and much more when I upload my workout to the computer, but I can't find much HR data on the unit itself.

2) Do you use any websites to store and track your data? I know that motionbased.com is the Garmin recommended site. I know h8er likes runningahead.com. Is there a site that has anything like the Nike+ challenges?

1. You can program the device to display what you want for each discipline. I believe ave. hr is one of the options.

2. I had been using motionbased, but have started using garminconnect now that they are supporting the 305. I haven't seen anything like Nike+ but I would love to find one.

Comment

Some more detail,

Hit mode until you have the following options,

History
      Training
      Navigation
      Settings

Click Settings, then general, then whatever sport you are trying to set up.

Once there select the display you want to change, 1 field, 2 fields, 3 fields, or 4 fields. Choose the field you want ave hr and then select ave hr from the long list.

hope this helps.

Comment

Or, if you just want to see the avg HR at the end of your workout (without downloading everything to your computer), hit reset at the end of your workout, then go to History, and pull it up. It will show pace and average HR for each of your laps and overall.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I just found a place that we could do challenges, but it might be more trouble than it is worth. runnerplus.com can sync up nike+/iPod runs and someone has built a tool that convert the garmin .tcx files into nike+ .xml files. It is all manual uploading though, here is what you have to do for it (besides having a runnerplus.com account)

1. export your garmin run as a .tcx file (right click on the run in training center, then click export) into a folder on your computer.
          2. convert it to .xml using http://www.7runs.com/garmin
          3. make sure you have created the following folders - c:/iPod_Control/Device/Trainer/Workouts/Empeds/G3478665066/latest (G3478665066 can be any 11 characture combo)
          4. use the runnerplus yahoo widget (http://www.runnerplus.com/profile/widget.asp) to sync the file with your runnerplus account.

I have been looking and havin't been able to find anywhere else that can do this.
          Wth the runnerplus yahoo widget
          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
            I just found a place that we could do challenges, but it might be more trouble than it is worth. runnerplus.com can sync up nike+/iPod runs and someone has built a tool that convert the garmin .tcx files into nike+ .xml files. It is all manual uploading though, here is what you have to do for it (besides having a runnerplus.com account)

1. export your garmin run as a .tcx file (right click on the run in training center, then click export) into a folder on your computer.
            2. convert it to .xml using http://www.7runs.com/garmin
            3. make sure you have created the following folders - c:/iPod_Control/Device/Trainer/Workouts/Empeds/G3478665066/latest (G3478665066 can be any 11 characture combo)
            4. use the runnerplus yahoo widget (http://www.runnerplus.com/profile/widget.asp) to sync the file with your runnerplus account.

I have been looking and havin't been able to find anywhere else that can do this.
            Wth the runnerplus yahoo widget
            Yeah, that sounds like more work than it's worth.

Comment

I have found one disappointing thing about the 305: the fact that it reveals the truth about all of my running routes, the mileage for which I'd relied upon the Nike+ system to measure. So far they have been coming up a bit shorter than I had believed. Not a lot, but enough to be disappointing.

Comment

I have found one disappointing thing about the 305: the fact that it reveals the truth about all of my running routes, the mileage for which I'd relied upon the Nike+ system to measure. So far they have been coming up a bit shorter than I had believed. Not a lot, but enough to be disappointing.
                Mine did the same for all of my usual routes that I thuoght were 4+ miles, my normal 5K route was pretty close to being dead on though. Now I just run all of my runs on the Jordan River Parkway instead of around the neighborhood, so I don't have to be reminded
                "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Mine was the reverse. I found out that I had been running faster and farther than I had believed. That was a nice surprise.

I recalibrated my Nike+, and yesterday it came within .01 of my Garmin on a 5 miler.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    Mine was the reverse. I found out that I had been running faster and farther than I had believed. That was a nice surprise.

I recalibrated my Nike+, and yesterday it came within .01 of my Garmin on a 5 miler.
                    That's impressive. The Nike+ of course relies on you to keep the same pace you calibrated at. When I would go all out for a 5k it would usually rip me off and if I ran slower I'd gain extra mileage. A nice system overall for a pedometer.

Comment

This thing is sweet. My dad has a 305 that a friend gave him because he never used it. My dad never used it either, so guess who is using it now? Now both Gidget and me have one! Awesome!

I started running this week. I actually started running about two weeks ago on the treadmill, but this was the first week I got out on the pavement. I have been running with Gidget and we have been taking it easy. For her sake, and mine. I didn't want to start running until I had shed some pounds so it wouldn't be so much abuse on my joints so I am easing into it. The thing that sucks is that I have had to push the jogger with our 3 year old. I was hoping to get in a run this evening by myself, but my 3 year old gave me the puppy dog eyes and pleaded to go. So I threw her in the jogger and off we went.

I warmed up for .6 miles or so with a walk and then started running. I should have set the distance for a 5k, so I came up a bit short.

Distance: 3.07 mi
                      Time: 35:21
                      Pace: 11:30/mi
                      Avg HR: 157 bpm

Overall

Distance: 3.95 mi
                      Time: 50:22
                      Pace: 12:44/mi
                      Avg HR: 147 bpm

I really wish I wasn't pushing my 3 year old. I think I could have shave a minute or two off and probably lowered my HR some. I am happy. I currently sit at 247 lbs. And after only 3 days of running this distance I know I can improve and do much better. My goal is to continue to run around this distance 3x/week and do the bike or elliptical and circuit training the other days. I am also grateful that the weather has been so pleasant here in VA that I have been able to run in the evenings. It's been an unreal summer so far. Hardly any humidity.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

What is a good price for one of these?

Comment

Costco.com has them for $150 which is the best I've seen for one that wasn't a refurb. They are on sale until the 19th and are only available online.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

Comment

Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                            Costco.com has them for $150 which is the best I've seen for one that wasn't a refurb. They are on sale until the 19th and are only available online.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1
                            I can't remember if it was you h8r or someone else who first alterted us to the Costco price but I think you've sold 4 of them since that post. You should be getting a kick back.

Comment

I can't remember if it was you h8r or someone else who first alterted us to the Costco price but I think you've sold 4 of them since that post. You should be getting a kick back.
                              Unfortunately, I alerted everyone to them when I bought mine a week or 2 before they went on sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X