walk-on help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walk-on help

I'm curious anyone has heard about walkons on the spring roster who might contribute maybe bust into the two-deep or at least become special teams fixtures. I'm especially curious about the following guy : Rockey Kalamafoni, heard he a physical freak, but also heard he quit the team, Shane Hunter, last year coach lamb mentioned he might see time but he redshirted, Carter Mees, I remember him being a recruited walk-on, McKay Frandsen,I swear I remember his family member posting on cougarboard that he turned down Boise and USU to walk on at BYU,Jefferson Court, he sounds familial as does Jameson Frazier, andf also Austin Nielsen, didn't he have offers he shunned? Any feedback would be welcomed, I'm just trying to stay mentally occupied before the Oklahoma debacle

David Tuitupou is a DE that has a chance to get some snaps this season. His brother Peter originally signed with Utah out of High School, but is now down at Snow College.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=6378

Jeff Bell is a LB that has been a long time walk-on with the team and got some snaps in some blowouts last season, but saw a lot of Special Teams action. He is very well respected in the lockerroom and as such don't be surprised to see him be voted by his teammates as one of the guys that carries the flag out of the tunnel this season at one of the games.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=2866

Jameson Frazier is a Safety from Alta that has impressed both of the Spring Camps he has participated in. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some Special Teams play and maybe some snaps in a few blowouts.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=6360

Leon Johnson is a Walk-on Wide Receiver that has garnered some buzz in off-season workouts. He's known for being a 10th round draft pick by the Cubs and also for his speed and it'll be interesting to see if he keeps on working hard if they'll give him a shot on the field.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=6944

Marco Thorson is an Offensive Lineman that played quite a bit during Spring Football with the 2's and on rare occasion with the 1's. This was due mostly in part to the lack of bodies on the O-line during Spring. For those looking to press the panic button....don't worry we have PLENTY of bodies for the O-line come Fall Camp. Anyway....Coach Weber really liked him and he's been told that if he keeps working hard he could very well stay in the 2 deep.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=2484

Travis Uale is a Safety that has impressed ever since he's been on campus. Someone had mentioned recently that he might've transferred, but I don't know if that's the case or not. Anyway...he's a kid that along with Shiloah Te'o and Craig Bills that will have a shot to back up Scott Johnson and Andrew Rich at Safety. I was told of all our current Walk-on players that he was the closest to being awarded a scholarship by Coach Mendenhall but I don't know if that's true or not.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=6565

Matt Marshall is a Wide Receiver from Skyline. He's been named as one of the top scout team players the last couple of seasons and has been compared by some similar to Nake Meikle..that he's tough as nails and NEVER drops a pass, takes the hard hits, shakes them off and just keeps getting up. He saw some action at Special Teams last year and could again this season.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=2784

I would've also put Nate Hartung on this list....as he had lost a TON of weight, and would've been given a chance to move from O-line to play at D-Tackle this Fall....but his patience ran out and he's left the team and transferred to Snow and will play there this season.

Also as in terms of incoming Walk-Ons this season...I really don't know what to expect in that regard.

Comment

Not sure about the Spring walk-ons, but the preferred walk-ons for fall camp that I can think of are:

Jordan Miller - a kicker out of Nevada

JD Falslev - a running back out of Skyview. Not very big, but must be fast.

Michael Edmunds 6-4 205 out of Bingham - not sure if he's going on a mission first or not. Good speed.

Jared Richardson - Bonneville H.S. in Idaho Falls. LB - 6'1" 230 ish

Mason Higham - Shelley, Idaho. 6'4" 250 D-end.

Any others?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Not sure about the Spring walk-ons, but the preferred walk-ons for fall camp that I can think of are:

Jordan Miller - a kicker out of Nevada

JD Falslev - a running back out of Skyview. Not very big, but must be fast.

Michael Edmunds 6-4 205 out of Bingham - not sure if he's going on a mission first or not. Good speed.

Jared Richardson - Bonneville H.S. in Idaho Falls. LB - 6'1" 230 ish

Mason Higham - Shelley, Idaho. 6'4" 250 D-end.

Any others?

I've head of Hingham, I think he a fullride offer from the Vandals and Falslev, ithink Weber offered him, don't know about any others, here's hoping they find an Andrew Rich or even Scott johnson in the crowd

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post

Jameson Frazier is a Safety from Alta that has impressed both of the Spring Camps he has participated in. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some Special Teams play and maybe some snaps in a few blowouts.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=6360
          I believe he has been switched to outside backer. Once he puts on about 20 pounds, he will make a name for himself. This kid has a lot of talent.
          "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Rocky,

I think Peter Tuitupou is the kid that went to Washington State after Snow, then decided at the last minute to serve a mission, now it sounds like he will play at BYU upon his return.
            *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              Rocky,

I think Peter Tuitupou is the kid that went to Washington State after Snow, then decided at the last minute to serve a mission, now it sounds like he will play at BYU upon his return.
              Never heard of this, was byu even interested in him?

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                Never heard of this, was byu even interested in him?
                His mom works at BYU, in the admissions department. BYU didnt offer him a schollie because he goes to school for free because of his mom. Peter was not happy about this and committed to Utah. He then didnt end up qualifying so he went to Snow for two years.

He was a midyear transfer to Washington State back in December, he was in school for 2 weeks and decided to serve a mission. I believe he has left or is leaving soon and is now talking about wanting to play for BYU when he comes back. He is a tight end.
                *Banned*

Comment

Rocky,

Ah my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

His mom works at BYU, in the admissions department. BYU didnt offer him a schollie because he goes to school for free because of his mom. Peter was not happy about this and committed to Utah. He then didnt end up qualifying so he went to Snow for two years.

He was a midyear transfer to Washington State back in December, he was in school for 2 weeks and decided to serve a mission. I believe he has left or is leaving soon and is now talking about wanting to play for BYU when he comes back. He is a tight end.
                    Will the new mission rule allow that?

Comment

Academics was not why Peter left Utah. He did qualify academically and was participating in fall practice. What happened is that Utah wanted him to switch to OLine. He said that he didn't want to but when he showed up to practice one day they had switched him to oline anyway. This made him upset so he left on the spot. Anyway, just thought I'd clear up the non qualifying part. He is thinking of walking on at BYU after his mission but it isn't a done deal or anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X