Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chestnut or Kobayashi

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/02/nat....in/index.html

Perhaps the best rivalry out there. These guys put down in twelve minutes what would be a whole months worth of calories for nikuman.

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/02/nat....in/index.html

Perhaps the best rivalry out there. These guys put down in twelve minutes what would be a whole months worth of calories for nikuman.
    I think Kobayashi is going to take it back. It has been nice to see Chestnut make it competitive and even best Kobayashi a few times. Kobayashi is quite simply the best competitive eater in the world. He trains like a mad man, and if we take him at his word, he no longer has jaw issues. Chestnut only narrowly beat him the last two years. You've got to think that a healthy Kobayashi will regain his crown.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      I think Kobayashi is going to take it back. It has been nice to see Chestnut make it competitive and even best Kobayashi a few times. Kobayashi is quite simply the best competitive eater in the world. He trains like a mad man, and if we take him at his word, he no longer has jaw issues. Chestnut only narrowly beat him the last two years. You've got to think that a healthy Kobayashi will regain his crown.
      Kobayashi is a freak. There was that little MTV doc following him around Japan. Anytime he'd eat out at restaurants, it was a huge honor for the owners and cooks and they'd send massive amounts of food out and he'd eat it all.

Chestnut had a good run and seems to have done well with the hot dogs. I expect Kobayashi to also take back the belt this year.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

I just dug these up. I had a bunch but now I can only find these three. Taken on a NYC Fourth of July vacation in 2002. This was the year that Kobayashi obliterated the world record. You can see him off to the left side of the pic up on the stand. If you look at the 3rd pic, there is someone behind him holding up a sign that shows that he had reached 50 dogs and buns. Amazing.

This was as close as we were able to get and we arrived about 1.5 hours before the contest began. That was a fun day.

Shot of Coney on the 4th, not far from the Nathan's stand where they do the contest. For those that have seen The Warriors or He Got Game, this should be a familiar sight....the projects in the background and thousands of New Yorkers that can't swim, collectively clogging the sand and staying out of the water. If you look closely enough, you can see that most of them are rocking Daniel Larusso-style cutoff denim shorts as swimwear.

Also, this is a pic of a bird that I saw hanging out on the top of the observation deck of the Empire State Building. That bird is CRAZY!

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Like all good Americans I will be rooting for Joey Chestnut to hold on to his title.

Comment

Nathan's Famous Beef Hot Dog Natural Casing Hot Dog and Roll 1 each 100.0 g
            3.53 oz

296.90 Calories

163.86 Calories from fat

18.21 Fat grams

59 dogs x 296.90 calories = 17,517.10 calories in 10 minutes

Very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
              Nathan's Famous Beef Hot Dog Natural Casing Hot Dog and Roll 1 each 100.0 g
              3.53 oz

296.90 Calories

163.86 Calories from fat

18.21 Fat grams

59 dogs x 296.90 calories = 17,517.10 calories in 10 minutes

Very impressive.
              holy moly.

Based on my goal of 1800 calories a day, it would take me 9.5 DAYS to eat the amount of calories those guys eat in 10 minutes.

I hope they are washing that stuff down with a diet coke.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                holy moly.

Based on my goal of 1800 calories a day, it would take me 9.5 DAYS to eat the amount of calories those guys eat in 10 minutes.

I hope they are washing that stuff down with a diet coke.
                Lemonade and water. The bubbles take too much space.
                Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 07-03-2009, 10:27 AM.
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Chestnut for the win!

Joey Chestnut sets new record!
                  "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

I would think there is a point where the human body simply can no longer absorb all the calories that are being crammed inside of it. Can any of the doctor types on here shed some light on this?
                    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I watched it yesterday. Very disturbing. The best part is how seriously the espn crew covers the event.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                        I would think there is a point where the human body simply can no longer absorb all the calories that are being crammed inside of it. Can any of the doctor types on here shed some light on this?
                        If the propulsive forces in the small intestine push the material into the large bowel before all of the calories are absorbed, then yes(this causes fairly severe gas and diarrhea). The calories absorbed are directly related to the time in the small intestine, not the number of calories present. I don't think there is any study on what happens when you ingest 25,000 calories in 12 minutes.
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                          I don't think there is any study on what happens when you ingest 25,000 calories in 12 minutes.
                          There's your ticket to fame Jarid. You should study this. Babs could totally help you with the library stuff and there are a few here who could serve as guinea pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            There's your ticket to fame Jarid. You should study this. Babs could totally help you with the library stuff and there are a few here who could serve as guinea pigs.
                            We are there!!! I always wanted to be published

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
                            X