CUF TOUR DE FRANCE PREDICTION CONTEST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUF TOUR DE FRANCE PREDICTION CONTEST

The 2009 Tour de France is upon us. Starting Saturday we will begin to have our many questions answered:

-Can Lance win the big one once again?
    -Is Lance even the second best rider on his own team?
    -Will Contador change teams before the race gets to the Pyrenees?
    -Can Basso look supernatural in the mountains again without drugs?
    -Will Cadel Evans beat someone up for touching his stuffed lion? (Don’t ask)
    -Will a French rider even sniff the podium?

To honor the Grande Boucle I present the first annual CUF Chain Ring contest. Here’s how it works: pick the top three finishers in order of predicted finish in each category. You will be awarded 5 points for picking the right rider in the right place. You will receive 2 points for picking a top three finishers but not in the correct place of finish. Thus, each category offers a total possible point award of 15. You don’t need to make choices in all categories but if you don’t you will have fewer chances to accumulate points. Team entries are allowed. All entries should be made before the prologue begins Saturday morning. However, you can make entries up to and including Monday July 6, 2009 (except for the prologue, of course). Time of entries will be determined by the time and date stamp on your posts that I see on my computer. I am the final judge. Here are the categories:

1. Yellow Jersey

2. Green Jersey

3. Polka Dot Jersey

4. Prologue ITT

5. Stage 4 Team Time Trial

6. Stage 7 Barcelona to Andorra Arcalis (mountain top finish)

7. Stage 18 40k ITT

8. Stage 20 Finish at the top of famed Mt. Ventoux

Tiebreaker: Highest placed French finisher.

Top Prize is a scraped up chain ring from a shimano 600 gruppe circa 1989, lovingly mounted in kiln dried Douglas fir. Enter soon. Enter often.

May the best person win!
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Hello? Ferris? Anybody?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Making us predict 3 deep will make this a time consuming task. I won't be able to get my predictions in until this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
        Hello? Ferris? Anybody?
        Expect me to treat this like I did my university education. I should come rolling in with my picks about 10 minutes before the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
          Making us predict 3 deep will make this a time consuming task. I won't be able to get my predictions in until this evening.
          you dont have to go three deep, but doing so will make it more likely you can win.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
            Expect me to treat this like I did my university education. I should come rolling in with my picks about 10 minutes before the deadline.
            Lol. DOnt bother doing a draft, either.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I predict Lance for all of your questions. What do I win?
              *Banned*

Comment

I have no idea where to even research this kind of stuff. I don't even know what half of the events are. I don't think I'm going to win.
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  I have no idea where to even research this kind of stuff. I don't even know what half of the events are. I don't think I'm going to win.
                  We've got a ringer, folks.

Comment

This is exactly why you will win. Its akin to someone's wife winning the FB pool every week because she picks it based on uniform color.
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Alright, I'll go first, seeing as how I am going to skeedaddle out of here pretty soon.

These pics are based on about 10 minutes of research over lunch today, so hold your laughter until I am safely logged off.

1. Yellow Jersey - A. Contador, C. Sastre, D. Menchov

2. Green Jersey - M. Cavendish, O. Freire, T. Farrar

3. Polka Dot Jersey - A. Schleck, R. Gesink, Soler

4. Prologue ITT - F. Cancellara, Armstrong, F. Pellizotti

5. Stage 4 Team Time Trial - Astana, Columbia, Saxobank

6. Stage 7 Barcelona to Andorra Arcalis (mountain top finish) - A. Schleck, R. Gesink, I. Basso

7. Stage 18 40k ITT - L. Armstrong, C. Evans, Levi

8. Stage 20 Finish at the top of famed Mt. Ventoux - C. Sastre, A. Contador, D. Menchov

Tiebreaker: Highest placed French finisher - C. Moreau, T. Voekler, Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                        Alright, I'll go first, seeing as how I am going to skeedaddle out of here pretty soon.

These pics are based on about 10 minutes of research over lunch today, so hold your laughter until I am safely logged off.

1. Yellow Jersey - A. Contador, C. Sastre, D. Menchov

2. Green Jersey - M. Cavendish, O. Freire, T. Farrar

3. Polka Dot Jersey - A. Schleck, R. Gesink, Soler

4. Prologue ITT - F. Cancellara, Armstrong, F. Pellizotti

5. Stage 4 Team Time Trial - Astana, Columbia, Saxobank

6. Stage 7 Barcelona to Andorra Arcalis (mountain top finish) - A. Schleck, R. Gesink, I. Basso

7. Stage 18 40k ITT - L. Armstrong, C. Evans, Levi

8. Stage 20 Finish at the top of famed Mt. Ventoux - C. Sastre, A. Contador, D. Menchov

Tiebreaker: Highest placed French finisher - C. Moreau, T. Voekler, Jean-Luc Picard
                        Excellent picks. Really. I hope Farrar does some in third for green. It is also sort of amusing that Jean Luc Picard has as much chance to win the TdF as any other french rdier.

OTOH, it is sort of sad to see that Moreau is your pick and that that might be aogod pick. Is he still riding? Sheesh. We can expect him to have a flamboaynt but ultimately doomed effort during the first half of the race. And I think we can expect little Tommy Voeckler to put on a display of menainglessness duinrg one mountain stage, where ona sunny day he will struggle up a long climb jersey unzippoed, elbows a kimbo, and tongue hanging out. It almost makes me feel bad for Les Francais. Almost.

Very cool avatar, btw. Eddy was/is the greatest. The Cannibal rules.
                        Last edited by creekster; 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Here is a good place to start, although this site has a real Lance/ american bias.

http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance

also check this out:

http://www.velonews.com

and:

http://www.cyclingnews.com
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            Excellent picks. Really. I hope Farrar does some in third for green. It is also sort of amusing that Jean Luc Picard has as much chance to win the TdF as any other french rdier.

OTOH, it is sort of sad to see that Moreau is your pick and that that might be aogod pick. Is he still riding? Sheesh. We can expect him to have a flamboaynt but ultimately doomed effort during the first half of the race. And I think we can expect little Tommy Voeckler to put on a display of menainglessness duinrg one mountain stage, where ona sunny day he will struggle up a long climb jersey unzippoed, elbows a kimbo, and tongue hanging out. It almost makes me feel bad for Les Francais. Almost.

Very cool avatar, btw. Eddy was/is the greatest. The Cannibal rules.
                            Farrar has really impressed this year. His coming out party at the ATOC was impressive, and it turns out it wasn't a fluke. The dude can sprint. Its fun to imagine how uncomfortable the Euros may get with an American as a serious green jersey threat. I like his team being able to get him to Paris as well.

Re: the Frenchies, I scanned the team rosters to see if anyone stood out and nothing grabbed me. I wonder if Moreau's days are numbered. IIRC, he started to fade a lot earlier than usual last year.

Comment

1. Yellow Jersey Alberto Contador (ESP),Andy Schleck (LUX),Carlos Sastre (ESP)

2. Green Jersey Mark Cavendish (GBR),Tyler Farrar (USA), Thor Hushovd (NOR)

3. Polka Dot Jersey Frank Schleck (LUX), Linus Gerdemann (GER), Andy Schleck (LUX)

4. Prologue ITT Fabian Cancellara (SUI), David Zabriskie (USA), Levi Leipheimer (USA

5. Stage 4 Team Time Trial Garmin - Slipstream, Cervelo TestTeam, Astana

6. Stage 7 Barcelona to Andorra Arcalis (mountain top finish) Alberto Contador (ESP), Carlos Sastre (ESP), Sebastian Lang (GER)

7. Stage 18 40k ITT Levi Leipheimer (USA), Cadel Evans (AUS), Christian Vande Velde (USA)

8. Stage 20 Finish at the top of famed Mt. Ventoux Alberto Contador (ESP),Andy Schleck (LUX), Andreas Klöden (GER)

Tiebreaker: Highest placed French finisher. Sandy Casar (FRA)
                              Last edited by RC Vikings; 07-05-2009, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X