Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good news Ute fans, ESPN sources are reporting that Sarkisian has accepted the UW job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news Ute fans, ESPN sources are reporting that Sarkisian has accepted the UW job

So looks like you might get to kee Whittingham.
    *Banned*

Bad decision Sark.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
      Bad decision Sark.
      Agreed. I'm not sure I'd want to go up against PC and USC every year. It'll be interesting to see if Sark can turn UW around. He may be able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
        Agreed. I'm not sure I'd want to go up against PC and USC every year. It'll be interesting to see if Sark can turn UW around. He may be able to do it.
        As long as he doesn't do it by stealing Heaps from BYU.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

The SC boards are not exactly sad by this news, but I think Sark is making a mistake.

True, expectations are rock bottom at UW given their horrible performance as of late.

But Sark is not ready. Look at how the offense at SC has stalled this year with his erratic tailback rotations and play calling.

One thing is for sure, there won't be a shortage of inquiries to Uncle Pete....."hey Pete, are you hiring? I notice you have some nice talent on next year's team....and the year after......"
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Also, how bummed is Norm Chow from a career perspective?

He recommends Sark to PC for a grad assistant job. Sark winds up replacing Norm.

Norm is now stuck with the UCLA job.

Meanwhile, Kiff was the HC at Oakland and now is the HC at Tennessee. Sark is now the HC at Washington.

I don't think Norm will ever be a head coach. Dude is cursed.

an interesting article from today's LA times about Norm, Sark, Pete, Walker, and a bit of commentary on the BYU connections.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,1170274.story

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              The SC boards are not exactly sad by this news, but I think Sark is making a mistake.

True, expectations are rock bottom at UW given their horrible performance as of late.

But Sark is not ready. Look at how the offense at SC has stalled this year with his erratic tailback rotations and play calling.

One thing is for sure, there won't be a shortage of inquiries to Uncle Pete....."hey Pete, are you hiring? I notice you have some nice talent on next year's team....and the year after......"
              Sarkisian has a much better chance of success than Kiffin at Tennessee. First, he is recruiting his home territory, while Kiffin will have to go primarily into new territoriy . Second, there is less intense competition for recruits on the West Coast than in the South and Washington has a larger local recruiting base than does Tennessee.

The Husky fan base is real hungry from a decade of devastation, but it has also tempered expectations. Willingham stuck around for an extra year after they could have shown him the door. Tennessee went to the SEC title game LAST YEAR. They did not have a horrible season, as they could easily have been 8-4 with a couple of bounces.

Washington still has a fan base and facilities that should make it a top tier Pac-10 program given any level of competence. I think Sarkisian will have that competence. I think Tennessee, will not have the patience to let Kiffin develop the program.

Aren't you glad I made this thread about a comparison of the two erstwhile PC proteges? I know I am.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                Sarkisian has a much better chance of success than Kiffin at Tennessee. First, he is recruiting his home territory, while Kiffin will have to go primarily into new territoriy . Second, there is less intense competition for recruits on the West Coast than in the South and Washington has a larger local recruiting base than does Tennessee.

The Husky fan base is real hungry from a decade of devastation, but it has also tempered expectations. Willingham stuck around for an extra year after they could have shown him the door. Tennessee went to the SEC title game LAST YEAR. They did not have a horrible season, as they could easily have been 8-4 with a couple of bounces.

Washington still has a fan base and facilities that should make it a top tier Pac-10 program given any level of competence. I think Sarkisian will have that competence. I think Tennessee, will not have the patience to let Kiffin develop the program.

Aren't you glad I made this thread about a comparison of the two erstwhile PC proteges? I know I am.
                Interestingly, SC only has one player on its entire roster from the state of Washington.

However, that one player happens to be Taylor Mays.

Conversely, UW has about 25 or 30 players on its roster from LA. Are any of them impact players? No clue.

sigpic

Comment

Interestingly, SC only has one player on its entire roster from the state of Washington.

However, that one player happens to be Taylor Mays.

Conversely, UW has about 25 or 30 players on its roster from LA. Are any of them impact players? No clue.
                  I am not sure they have any impact players aside from Jake Locker, who is from Washington.

Comment

Back in the day UW regularly had USC's number, and won many Pac 10 titles. UW is not a program that ineluctably must be second fiddle to the two big Cal schools. UW has resources, a big population base and following, it's in the Pac 10, it has excellent academics and a fine football tradition. The natural order is that Oregon and Utah are poor man's Washingtons. If McBride/Meyer/Whittingham turned Utah into a program of national distinction, the right coach can certainly return Washington to that status.

So it would be a great opportunity for Sarkisian. But I don't think Washington made a smart move, if this is true. If I were the AD I'd only be looking at head coaches with strong records of success. I'd pull out all stops to get Kyle Whittingham or the like. UW can't afford another hiring mistake, but I think they've made their third consecutive big mistake, fourth in the last five hires. Time will tell, but I'm rarely wrong about coaching hires. I would be a good AD.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      Back in the day UW regularly had USC's number, and won many Pac 10 titles. UW is not a program that ineluctably must be second fiddle to the two big Cal schools. UW has resources, a big population base and following, it's in the Pac 10, it has excellent academics and a fine football tradition. The natural order is that Oregon and Utah are poor man's Washingtons. If McBride/Meyer/Whittingham turned Utah into a program of national distinction, the right coach can certainly return Washington to that status.

So it would be a great opportunity for Sarkisian. But I don't think Washington made a smart move, if this is true. If I were the AD I'd only be looking at head coaches with strong records of success. I'd pull out all stops to get Kyle Whittingham or the like. UW can't afford another hiring mistake, but I think they've made their third consecutive big mistake, fourth in the last five hires. Time will tell, but I'm rarely wrong about coaching hires. I would be a good AD.
                      I agree that UW has a nice football tradition. In fact, you could make a very strong argument that after SC, UW has the second best football tradition in the PAC10. And believe me, I haven't forgotten the lean years SC endured between greatness.

I honestly think that the Sark hiring is more for the fans and boosters. This isn't as much about hiring Sark as it is bringing some of USC to the UW locker room. Boosters want to emulate SC, so what better way than to hire SC personnel? Do we have any indication that Sark can run a defense? Is Sark a competent recruiter? I know that for SC, he had no hand in recruiting Matt, Booty, or Mark Sanchez. I doubt Mitch Mustain transferred from the SEC because of Sark. I do know that when SC landed Matt Barkley (5 star from Mater Dei), he specifically mentioned PC and Sark, so perhaps Sark can land the big fish.

I guess time will tell, but UW is in a crappy position. Schools need to consider the vacancy before they create it. You fire Willingham, but who is available right now to fill the spot? There aren't a lot of big names.

sigpic

Comment

Schools need to consider the vacancy before they create it. You fire Willingham, but who is available right now to fill the spot? There aren't a lot of big names.
                        Signed,

Auburn
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Signed,

Auburn
                          Exactly. If Mike Leech turns them down, where do they go? One name I have heard is Gary Patterson, but I'm not sure if he could land that job.
                          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            So looks like you might get to kee Whittingham.
                            SU is right about you being in the gall of bitterness. Don't you have a pretty good hoops team? Focus some attention there buddy.

Comment

Working...
                            X