Ricks College question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricks College question...

Now that we have some years between us and the switch to BYU-Idaho and the loss that football program, how do you BYU folks think that has affected your program?

And perhaps a greater question, how does any LDS person (except for those fine young men in the greater L.A. area who all clearly dream of rural Idaho) look at their LDS educational options and see Provo, Rexburg, Idaho and the North Shore of Oahu and continue to select either of the first two, especially that Rexburg option.

Originally posted by Mr. Crimson View Post
    ...how does any LDS person (except for those fine young men in the greater L.A. area who all clearly dream of rural Idaho) look at their LDS educational options and see Provo, Rexburg, Idaho and the North Shore of Oahu and continue to select either of the first two, especially that Rexburg option.
    Grand Targee, my friend. That's just a no-brainer.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Now that we have some years between us and the switch to BYU-Idaho and the loss that football program, how do you BYU folks think that has affected your program?

And perhaps a greater question, how does any LDS person (except for those fine young men in the greater L.A. area who all clearly dream of rural Idaho) look at their LDS educational options and see Provo, Rexburg, Idaho and the North Shore of Oahu and continue to select either of the first two, especially that Rexburg option.
      SU would tell you people go to Ricks instead of Laie because it's whiter there.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

My understanding is that BYU-Hawaii generally gives higher priority to those who hail from the Pacific islands.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthShoreCoug View Post
          My understanding is that BYU-Hawaii generally gives higher priority to those who hail from the Pacific islands.
          Semi-off topic, my cousin got a golf scholy to BYU-H. Now THAT would be the life.
          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

As far as the former Ricks goes, in my mind naming it BYU-Idaho cheapens my degree from BYU. Also I think it cheapens a degree from Ricks.

Everyone knows it isn't the real BYU, but a subsidiary.

Disclaimor: This is only the opinion of an older ignorant man and should not be taken as degrading either BYU-Idaho or BYU-Provo.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              As far as the former Ricks goes, in my mind naming it BYU-Idaho cheapens my degree from BYU. Also I think it cheapens a degree from Ricks.

Everyone knows it isn't the real BYU, but a subsidiary.

Disclaimor: This is only the opinion of an older ignorant man and should not be taken as degrading either BYU-Idaho or BYU-Provo.
              Does anyone know what the reasoning was behind it? I always thought that was weird as well?
              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                Does anyone know what the reasoning was behind it? I always thought that was weird as well?
                Just an opinion here and a reasonable argument against my opinion could easily persuade me I am wrong.

I will use myself as an example. I had believed the "outsiders" had a much more favorable view of BYU and the church in general. Since my values were the "best" values, others would recognize institutions that champion my values would be respected and admired by a vast number of outsiders.

That view I no longer hold. However, if I did hold that view, which I think a lot of decision makers do, I would think attaching BYU to Idaho brings up the image of Ricks. BYU being the ICON it is, would not suffer in perception.

If Stanford opened up a branch in, Idaho and called it Stanford-Idaho, personally I have enough awe of Stanford education that it would neither damage Stanford and would uplift the Idaho facility.

I think the same goes for BYU from a religious institution standpoint, but not from an educational and University status view.

I know some of that was rambling and incoherent. I don't want to redo it though.

Comment

I'm not sure how big of impact Ricks players have had over the years. They pluged in some holes in the past but it's something that Snow could do just as well. I think you're talking maybe one or two players a year. The one thing it has hurt is a place for the local kids to play.

Comment

I will still always call it Ricks. BYU-Idaho is a stupid name.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      I will still always call it Ricks. BYU-Idaho is a stupid name.
                      Which reminds me. I don't have many Ricks college related stories, but one of myu friends was QB at Snow back when Ricks was around. When he was the backup before his mission, he said that the starting QB went up to the line, and then called out the cadence "Blue 46, Blue 46, Ricks College sucks dicks". I guess he got sacked on that play, and many others, but I still found it funny.

Comment

I HATE that they changed it. Ricks was a great place for a kid to get his feet underneath him and then move on. Girls out numbered the guys three to one and if you were an RM it was like ten to one. With the cold winter nights and lack of things to do it was almost to easy. The days when Dixie and CSI would come to Rexburg were huge events and everyone looked forward to that. Rexburg was less crowed and I think the kids had more fun. All I see now are young couples and new mothers pushing their kids around in strollers.

Comment

how does any LDS person . . . look at their LDS educational options and see Provo, Rexburg, Idaho and the North Shore of Oahu and continue to select either of the first two, especially that Rexburg option.
                          Two words: Bear World.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            Grand Targee, my friend. That's just a no-brainer.
                            See I think snow sports exist only because people need something to do in the cold and if one had the option to be warm and live near an ocean, they would do so.

Comment

See I think snow sports exist only because people need something to do in the cold and if one had the option to be warm and live near an ocean, they would do so.
                              You're not alone. A lot of pansies agree with you.
                              sigpic
                              "Outlined against a blue, gray
                              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                              X