Blisters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blisters.

I'm hesitant to compete with the fascinating discussion about Katy's clubbed thumbs, but here goes: What is the best way to deal with blisters on your feet when you are training for a marathon?

I have blisters on both heels, up off the bottom of my heel on the medial side of my foot. They started with one of my new pairs of shoes and I'm sure are a result of the shoes trying to keep me from over-pronating. They aren't much of a bother, but I don't want them to turn into something more serious.

Should I pop them, leave them alone, pop them and cut the skin away, band-aids, moleskin....? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
    I'm hesitant to compete with the fascinating discussion about Katy's clubbed thumbs, but here goes: What is the best way to deal with blisters on your feet when you are training for a marathon?

I have blisters on both heels, up off the bottom of my heel on the medial side of my foot. They started with one of my new pairs of shoes and I'm sure are a result of the shoes trying to keep me from over-pronating. They aren't much of a bother, but I don't want them to turn into something more serious.

Should I pop them, leave them alone, pop them and cut the skin away, band-aids, moleskin....? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    I use moleskin with limited success when I'm hiking. I haven't had major blister problems running yet - although I have now lost the toenail on one of my toes several times. It is perpetually black.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      I use moleskin with limited success when I'm hiking. I haven't had major blister problems running yet - although I have now lost the toenail on one of my toes several times. It is perpetually black.
      I've used moleskin for football and basketball, and it has worked well when properly applied. We're talking more miles here, though, so I'm not sure how well it will do. I no longer run in the shoes that caused the blister, so I have that going for me, but I want to make sure I don't keep aggravating them.
      sigpic
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I always gave it a day to let the skin toughen up a bit then drained them, followed by the Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blisters.
        http://www.bandaid.com/productList.do?typeId=4

Comment

Originally posted by beelzebabette View Post
          I always gave it a day to let the skin toughen up a bit then drained them, followed by the Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blisters.
          http://www.bandaid.com/productList.do?typeId=4
          That looks like good stuff. Thanks.
          sigpic
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Blisters have always been a problem for me. For prevention I've found nothing works better than duct tape. Start on the bottom of your foot and run it about half way up your achilles. After you have them it's a bit trickier. The bandaid product with duct tape over the top works reasonably well, but nothing's perfect.
            There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
            Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
            And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Just run it cold. Training is for sissies.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

We walked about 10-12 miles a day in Costa Rica on river-rock roads. I'd get half-dollar sized blisters on my feet sometimes. The best thing I found to stop them from getting worse was to put duct-tape on them. I'd even put it on my feet sometimes in places where we I was prone to get blisters if I knew we had a big walk coming up. It worked really well to prevent the friction and it stays in place when you sweat. It hurts to pull it off, but it's way better than a blister.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Crap, I'm a hack...sorry landpoke. I clicked it and then got side-tracked in my office with the window still open.
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    Crap, I'm a hack...sorry landpoke. I clicked it and then got side-tracked in my office with the window still open.
                    I forgive you.

Something about the shape of my heel makes me prone to 1/2 dollar sized blisters. Duct tape is the only thing that's ever worked.
                    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                    And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Working...
                    X