Speaking offensively...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking offensively...

Specifically about offensive philosophy. Rewatching the game today, it seems that we are playing the multiples offense that Johnson discussed in the offseason. What is different is the ratio of plays that we are running under center and from the shotgun spread.

The multiples offense works when you have the ability to run multiple formations with the same personnel grouping on the field. The best example that I saw of that yesterday was the play that we scored our 3rd touchdown. From the 2 yard line, we started in a spread formation, but Wilson saw that WSU had their nickel package in, so he audibled the formation to a power-I with triple tights, and we absolutely blew them off the ball because we was able to take advantage of the defensive personnel. If WSU had a heavy defensive formation, he would have stayed in the spread and picked on the linebacker or corner that was going to try to cover Murphy on that play.

Early in the season, it seemed that we ran most plays from under center with about 15% in the shotgun. I do believe that this was because Whitt preferred the offense that Chow installed last season, and Johnson, whether by decree or by undertones felt that this was the way to go.

After ASU, we switched almost exclusively to the spread. I think BJ was too rigid with this against UCLA and OSU, and it cost us in the red zone. Clearly our personnel fit into the spread better, but you need to be able to play smash mouth in specific situations.

The last two games, we have had a solid mix of shotgun formations and under center plays. The mix favors the spread about 2:1, maybe even 3:1. Which plays to our strengths, but allows us some flexibility.

I have been impressed with Johnson's willingness to see the flaws in his game planning and playcalling from week to week and has started to alter his approach. I am very bullish on Johnson's future, and think that he will reward Whitt's high risk gamble with stellar results.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Good analysis. Given everything that has happened this year I still feel like we are on the right trajectory. Johnson's learning curve maybe as or even more important than Wilsons.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      Good analysis. Given everything that has happened this year I still feel like we are on the right trajectory. Johnson's learning curve maybe as or even more important than Wilsons.
      It has been fun watching them grow together (not that way sickos) over the last 4 games.
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
      X