Cruisin for a Bruins - the official Utah v UCLA thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruisin for a Bruins - the official Utah v UCLA thread

Utah (2-3, 0-2) at UCLA (4-2, 1-2) 3 p.m. Fox: UCLA leads the series 8-2, but the Utes have won the last two by a combined count of 75-12, including 31-6 in 2011. Both teams are coming off a loss. Utah has lost two in a row (Arizona State and USC). Last season, the Utes started 0-4 in Pac-12 play before winning their next four conference games, including that win over UCLA. The Utes are the only conference team that averages less than 300 yards per game and they also ranked last in third down conversion percentage (29.7 percent). UCLA leads the conference with 10 interceptions. The Utes are last with two.

Good hell our offense and Dbs have been shitty. If we have any hope of playing in a bowl game we have to win at least one of ucla ore st.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Line opened at Utes +5 has moved to Utes +8
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

lol. Nice work on the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        lol. Nice work on the thread title.
        Yes. Nice work. HFN.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Yes. Nice work. HFN.
          You were doing Ute threads?
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            You were doing Ute threads?
            maybe.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              maybe.
              http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-tes...34-35?lang=eng

Verse 10.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

Silver lining of the season so far: ticket prices for this week's ROSE BOWL. Stubhub has seats starting at $7!!!!!!! By Saturday I should be able to find some for less than the price of a box of Stan's Donuts.

ropeller:

Comment

From the PAC12 press release:

UTAH (2-3) at UCLA (4-2)
                  Sat., Oct. 13, 12 noon PT - FOX
                  UCLA leads, 8-2-0. Last game: UTAH, 31-6 (2011)

UCLA senior RB Johnathan Franklin added another 100-yard game to his resume, his fifth in six games this year, with a 102-yard effort at California. He’s now tied for third on UCLA’s career 100-yard rushing list with 15 such games, trailing Bruins Freeman McNeil (17, 1977-80) and Gaston Green (20, 1984-87).

Utah starting sophomore WR Dres Anderson’s father Flipper played wide receiver for UCLA from 1984-87. He led the Bruins in receiving yards in 1986 and 1987 and ranks 10th in school history with 2,023 yards. A second-round draft pick, he played in the NFL for 10 years.

Utah is third in the conference and 35th in the nation in total defense (350.0), and fourth and 26th, respectively in rushing defense (114.8). The Utes also have forced an FBS-leading 13 fumbles . . Meanwhile, UCLA is third in the Pac-12 and 8th in the nation in total defense (529.0 ypg), and second and 21st, respectively in the nation in rushing offense (224.3 ypg).

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                    From the PAC12 press release:
                    Those numbers don't seem to add up. Utah and UCLA are both 3rd in the conference in total defense, but UCLA is 8th in the nation and Utah 35th? And UCLA is 8th in the nation despite giving up 529 yards per game?

Larry Scott is going to make heads roll at the Pac-12 press release cubicle tomorrow morning.

Comment

So what do you Utah fans make of Travis Wilson possilby starting?
                      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                        So what do you Utah fans make of Travis Wilson possilby starting?
                        It is a much debated subject.

One view is that the coaches need to pick the player who gives Utah the best chance of winning. I lean that way.

Another view is that Hays should start until it's clear Utah has no shot at a bowl. (Kind of a subset of the first view.)

A third view is that starting Wilson will risk creating another Wynn. (There's no reason to believe Wilson is as abnormally fragile as Wynn, IMO.)

Subset of third view: With Utah's lousy OL Wilson will get beat up, have his confidence ruined, and perhaps get hurt.

Fourth view: He's got PAC-12 talent and is our QB of the future, start him now and get him on his way.

There are still more views. An entire tangent goes off into the impact of starting Wilson on recruiting future QBs.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I think you start Hays. Utah did a good job last year of coming together when things got tough and finishing nicely, outside of the CU game.

The few snaps I've seen Wilson play makes me think he will struggle. He has a lot to work on as far as footwork and reads. I am always surprised that they choose to have him run as lanky as he is. He is still lacking some weight on his frame as well.

I think it would be a mistake to start him. Starting a freshman has been proven, as a whole, to not be a good thing. It can work out well (Barkley), but there's many examples of it not wokring out as well (Heaps, Wynn, Tate Forcier)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                            I think you start Hays. Utah did a good job last year of coming together when things got tough and finishing nicely, outside of the CU game.

The few snaps I've seen Wilson play makes me think he will struggle. He has a lot to work on as far as footwork and reads. I am always surprised that they choose to have him run as lanky as he is. He is still lacking some weight on his frame as well.

I think it would be a mistake to start him. Starting a freshman has been proven, as a whole, to not be a good thing. It can work out well (Barkley), but there's many examples of it not wokring out as well (Heaps, Wynn, Tate Forcier)
                            There are a lot of freshman starting as QB in D1 football. Some True, some redshirt, but still freshman. I have watched a couple of Utah games this year where Wilson came in and its hard to judge off of so few snaps. He has thrown a couple of great touchdown passes, but they looked like it was a designed deep ball to a particular receiver, not from reading the defense. The comments that the radio attributed to Whit sounded a little like he was trying to make UCLA prepare for both QBs. I bet he starts Hays.

Comment

I just don't think they're going to let him have first team reps all week and then go with Hays.

And I don't think it's that different to prepare for either one.

I wouldn't be surprised either way with what he does, but the way they talked today while I was driving sounded like Wilson was going to start.

If that's the case, I don't think they'll beat UCLA this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X