Making the Utes competitive in the Pac 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the Utes competitive in the Pac 12

I'm just an ignorant fan (not unlike the great mass of fans). I don't watch the players practice every day (I don't watch them practice at all, actually). But I can read the Rivals and ESPN recruiting lists, and there does tend to be somewhat of a loose correlation between that pecking order and what happens on the field. The correlation become more accute as you move up the recruiting ladder.

I love our existing players, but Utah needs to crank up its recruiting a notch or two. I'm sure that's possible now that it's in a more glamorous conference, though it may take some time. Recruiting has improved a lot the past 10 years.

Initially, though, Utah needs to own its own state. I venture Utah's in-state prospects year in and year out stack up fairly well compared to, say, Nebraska's or Oregon's. But we share the field with BYU. Nebraska has no comparable in-state competitor.

Utah needs to kill BYU as a competitor. That doesn't mean beat them every year. It means stop playing them altogether. Drive a stake through BYU's heart. Kill it altogether as a viable presence in DI football. Utah shouldn't engage in any collaberation with BYU that would tend to be even symbiotic. The relationship must be treated as zero sum. Utah needs to exert all influence possible to keep BYU out of the Big 12.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm just an ignorant fan (not unlike the great mass of fans). I don't watch the players practice every day (I don't watch them practice at all, actually). But I can read the Rivals and ESPN recruiting lists, and there does tend to be somewhat of a loose correlation between that pecking order and what happens on the field. The correlation become more accute as you move up the recruiting ladder.

I love our existing players, but Utah needs to crank up its recruiting a notch or two. I'm sure that's possible now that it's in a more glamorous conference, though it may take some time. Recruiting has improved a lot the past 10 years.

Initially, though, Utah needs to own its own state. I venture Utah's in-state prospects year in and year out stack up fairly well compared to, say, Nebraska's or Oregon's. But we share the field with BYU. Nebraska has no comparable in-state competitor.

Utah needs to kill BYU as a competitor. That doesn't mean beat them every year. It means stop playing them altogether. Drive a stake through BYU's heart. Kill it altogether as a viable presence in DI football. Utah shouldn't engage in any collaberation with BYU that would tend to be even symbiotic. The relationship must be treated as zero sum. Utah needs to exert all influence possible to keep BYU out of the Big 12.

Or they could focus recruiting on getting some linebackers. Utah hasn't had a game with at least starter being a walkon linebacker in about 6 years.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I'm just an ignorant fan...

Utah needs to kill BYU as a competitor. That doesn't mean beat them every year. It means stop playing them altogether. Drive a stake through BYU's heart. Kill it altogether as a viable presence in DI football. Utah shouldn't engage in any collaberation with BYU that would tend to be even symbiotic. The relationship must be treated as zero sum. Utah needs to exert all influence possible to keep BYU out of the Big 12. hold second half leads and win a conference game.
      FIFY.
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
        Or they could focus recruiting on getting some linebackers. Utah hasn't had a game with at least starter being a walkon linebacker in about 6 years.
        Yeah. I was gonna say this as well.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

It's pretty simple: Utah needs a QB. Kind of the same deal goes for BYU.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Shush. This is a serious question SU is asking. Who is the only Utah football team still without a Pac12 win?

Comment

You are absolutely correct that you should try to kill us if you can. But the U does not have the power to do that.

Comment

Agree with 4 & 5 above. But we take the field against USC and even Arizona State or Washington, and the overal margin of athleticism exists. It just does.

Step 1), turn BYU into Utah State, i.e., guys who go there don't get offers from Utah; step 2) continue to raise the program's profile through on-field success, better competition and exposure, etc. till we're competing with Oregon and USC for recruits. We can do it.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  Shush. This is a serious question SU is asking. Who is the only Utah football team still without a Pac12 win?
                  Who did Weber St and SUU beat?

Also, what's the process for opening the season against a program that won 4 games last year and completes a dramatic overhaul of their offensive system? Chris Hill is doing this all wrong!
                  "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                  "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                    Oooh can we play the "we beat ourselves" card? That'd be 1! :clap:
                    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Won't happen, SU. Give up.

Comment

I kind of thought that Kyle hired Sharif Shaw for his recruiting ability. Sharif loves the utes, is fired up, and get kids fired up. I know nothing of his coaching abilities but would think he would be a great recruiter of impressionable youth.
                        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

are there that many Utah players on BYU's/USU's roster from that Utah didn't get over the last few years?

To my knowledge there are none on Utah State and only a couple from BYU. Both BYU and Utah State have players that I covet, but they seem to be out of state kids (Van Noy, Keeton) and not Utah products (with a few exceptions).

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            Won't happen, SU. Give up.
                            We'll kill you. Kill you.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

If they started winning they'd be more competitive
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                              X