X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zicam recalled

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm167065.htm

Something smells fishy about this.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

It's a shame that we allow things like Zicam to masquerade as medications when they have never been tested or proven in any systematic way to be safe or effective.

Due to the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994 (supported by Orrin Hatch), the FDA can only take action after harm has already been inflicted on patients. And manufacturers aren't even required to report any injuries or side effects related to their products when they learn of these injuries or side effects. The fact that most of these "supplements" have no efficacy and are simply wasting the patient's time and money isn't even considered to be a problem.

Yes prescription medications can have adverse effects, but at least medications have proven benefits.

From the FDA website:

Who has the responsibility for ensuring that a dietary supplement is safe?

By law (DSHEA), the manufacturer is responsible for ensuring that its dietary supplement products are safe before they are marketed. Unlike drug products that must be proven safe and effective for their intended use before marketing, there are no provisions in the law for FDA to "approve" dietary supplements for safety or effectiveness before they reach the consumer. Also unlike drug products, manufacturers and distributors of dietary supplements are not currently required by law to record, investigate or forward to FDA any reports they receive of injuries or illnesses that may be related to the use of their products. Under DSHEA, once the product is marketed, FDA has the responsibility for showing that a dietary supplement is "unsafe," before it can take action to restrict the product's use or removal from the marketplace.
      http://www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySuppl...10417.htm#safe

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        It's a shame that we allow things like Zicam to masquerade as medications when they have never been tested or proven in any systematic way to be safe or effective.

Due to the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994 (supported by Orrin Hatch), the FDA can only take action after harm has already been inflicted on patients. And manufacturers aren't even required to report any injuries or side effects related to their products when they learn of these injuries or side effects. The fact that most of these "supplements" have no efficacy and are simply wasting the patient's time and money isn't even considered to be a problem.

Yes prescription medications can have adverse effects, but at least medications have proven benefits.

From the FDA website:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/DietarySuppl...10417.htm#safe
        This is the one reason that I can't stand Hatch. You can make all of the ridiculous claims you want, without a shred of evidence, and as long as it is a "dietary supplement" you are fine. Horrid law that he still gleems about when asked of its influence.
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
          This is the one reason that I can't stand Hatch. You can make all of the ridiculous claims you want, without a shred of evidence, and as long as it is a "dietary supplement" you are fine. Horrid law that he still gleems about when asked of its influence.
          However, it's not surprising. My dad has been involved in the pharmaceutical manufacturing business for years on end, and there are scores of dietary supplement/herbal companies all over Utah that he has as customers. I suspect the local Utah lobby is pretty strong....
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            However, it's not surprising. My dad has been involved in the pharmaceutical manufacturing business for years on end, and there are scores of dietary supplement/herbal companies all over Utah that he has as customers. I suspect the local Utah lobby is pretty strong....
            EXACTLY...
            Hatch is representing his constituency. For some reason, Mormons have an affinity for unproven, expensive, and dangerous therapies. Or maybe they just like MLM.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              For some reason, Mormons have an affinity for unproven, expensive, and dangerous therapies.
              Great. One more reason I'm a crappy Mormon.

Comment

EXACTLY...
                Hatch is representing his constituency. For some reason, Mormons have an affinity for unproven, expensive, and dangerous therapies. Or maybe they just like MLM.
                I hope there's a study out there somewhere. I would love to read more about what I consider an unrefined hypothesis.

Honestly, I didn't even know that Zicam was NOT a drug. I haven't used it, but I just assumed it was like Claritan or something. Tells you how bad the problem is.

Comment

EXACTLY...
                  I don't know how to say this without ruffling feathers, but many people who use these treatments are very gullible and sensitive to the power of suggestion. They have a hard time believing that someone would actually not tell them the truth when they are getting a sales ptich.
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    I hope there's a study out there somewhere. I would love to read more about what I consider an unrefined hypothesis.

Honestly, I didn't even know that Zicam was NOT a drug. I haven't used it, but I just assumed it was like Claritan or something. Tells you how bad the problem is.
                    Zicam is being recalled because it has been linked to destroying your ability to smell permanently. It is somehow toxic to the olafactory nerve.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I don't know how to say this without ruffling feathers, but many people who use these treatments are very gullible and sensitive to the power of suggestion. They have a hard time believing that someone would actually not tell them the truth when they are getting a sales ptich.
                      Especially if said sales pitch comes from a member of their own religion who appears to be a good TR carrying member.

Zicam is being recalled because it has been linked to destroying your ability to smell permanently. It is somehow toxic to the olafactory nerve.
                      Wow. Good thing I didn't ever use it.

Comment

And...Zicam was one of the few that actually had a little bit of research behind it.

Here's a recent article on alternative medicine therapies.
                        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061001501.html

Over $200 million/yr spent on studying these to find...

they don't work.

I'm curious what Jarid does, but when patients ask me about these kinds of things, I usually tell them to 1) not spend very much on anything and 2) realize they don't have any idea what they're really taking and if it could hurt them. I'm all for taking advantage of the placebo effect though.
                        Last edited by ERCougar; 06-18-2009, 10:57 AM.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

And...Zicam was one of the few that actually had a little bit of research behind it.

Here's a recent article on alternative medicine therapies.
                          http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061001501.html

Over $200 million/yr spent on studying these to find...

they don't work.

I'm curious what Jarid does, but when patients ask me about these kinds of things, I usually tell them to 1) not spend very much on anything and 2) realize they don't have any idea what they're really taking and if it could hurt them. I'm all for taking advantage of the placebo effect though.
                          I usually say something like, "The best case scenario is probably that these things are just a waste of time and money. Worst case scenario is that you will actually harm your health with a substance that has no effect in treating the disease."

Comment

Dang, that stuff really worked for me. It also helped me get to sleep at night.

However, it does explain why when I tell people my farts don't stink they just look at me with a dirty look.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              Dang, that stuff really worked for me. It also helped me get to sleep at night.

However, it does explain why when I tell people my farts don't stink they just look at me with a dirty look.
                              Zicam use is very high in academia.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                              X