All Good Things Must Come to An End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Good Things Must Come to An End

LaVell was a "black swan". He was not the norm; he bucked the trend and brought us excellence for far longer than we deserved.

He was truly an anarchist at BYU...the mastermind of the double standard who believed in looking past the frailties of 20-year old kids for the greater good of the national prominence of the university, and indeed the long-run good of those kids. He WAS RIGHT!

When he retired, the status quo resumed. First, the good 'ole boy deal with Val + Crowton. Then we failed to seal the deal with one of our own, who now routinely kicks our ass and exposes our current coach for exactly who he is: a laid back no guts coach who plays off the sentiments of the faithful to excuse his poor performance. Our coach's audience is not the tens of thousands of Cougar faithful, but a handful of folks sitting in a building on North Temple in SLC and in the admin bldg at BYU...and he plays them like a fiddle.

We overplayed our hand last year with the B12. This year, ND went de facto to the ACC. Our own "rival" has cancelled games. We are in serious trouble.

BYU needs another anarchist ala LaVell. We have reverted entirely to the mean, in a sense, and entirely to the point where we belong: total mediocrity. We can't beat a good team to save our lives...we can only beat pansy ass Tier II teams.

Now, I believe in miracles. But that's what we need: a miracle.

We need an anarchist again.

Man, I was down and disappointed last week after we lost a close one to USU.

Winning improves your overall outlook.

All isn't lost. I wouldn't bet against BYU in the long run, they have too many resources. They will stumble along the way, and they have... But they have a lot of advantages and will not fade away.

At the beginning of last year there was a lot of bitching about BYU's performance on the field... not so much by the end.
    "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
    -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
    -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Can we get all the threads predicting the demise of BYU football consolidated into one? I am as pissed as anyone at our mismanagement of key positions and inability to perform well against our rival. But posts like this are very premature.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        Can we get all the threads predicting the demise of BYU football consolidated into one? I am as pissed as anyone at our mismanagement of key positions and inability to perform well against our rival. But posts like this are very premature.
        Friend, this is 10 years in the making. There's nothing premature about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
          Friend, this is 10 years in the making. There's nothing premature about it.
          You don't get that special feeling in your bosom when Taysom comes into the game? The overall talent level is as good as we've ever had. The future can still be bright if we make some corrections.

Comment

I am starting to believe the stereotypes about BYU fans. A bunch of spoiled whiny crybabies.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

You don't get that special feeling in your bosom when Taysom comes into the game? The overall talent level is as good as we've ever had. The future can still be bright if we make some corrections.
              I do not share my friend Viking's view of the future of BYU football. I also do not share most on this board's view of Taysom Hill. I think to many he seems better than Riley so he creates hope and excitement. He threw a TD against a bad team to a wide open guy, it takes more than that to cause my bosom to burn.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

LaVell was a "black swan". He was not the norm; he bucked the trend and brought us excellence for far longer than we deserved.

He was truly an anarchist at BYU...the mastermind of the double standard who believed in looking past the frailties of 20-year old kids for the greater good of the national prominence of the university, and indeed the long-run good of those kids. He WAS RIGHT!

When he retired, the status quo resumed. First, the good 'ole boy deal with Val + Crowton. Then we failed to seal the deal with one of our own, who now routinely kicks our ass and exposes our current coach for exactly who he is: a laid back no guts coach who plays off the sentiments of the faithful to excuse his poor performance. Our coach's audience is not the tens of thousands of Cougar faithful, but a handful of folks sitting in a building on North Temple in SLC and in the admin bldg at BYU...and he plays them like a fiddle.

We overplayed our hand last year with the B12. This year, ND went de facto to the ACC. Our own "rival" has cancelled games. We are in serious trouble.

BYU needs another anarchist ala LaVell. We have reverted entirely to the mean, in a sense, and entirely to the point where we belong: total mediocrity. We can't beat a good team to save our lives...we can only beat pansy ass Tier II teams.

Now, I believe in miracles. But that's what we need: a miracle.

We need an anarchist again.
                Lavell had juice that no other BYU coach will get to have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Can we get all the threads predicting the demise of BYU football consolidated into one?
                  I bet if we did, that thread would dwarf any on this site. In fact, It might dwarf a combined thread of Lakers, Jazz, COD (or whatever it is), Big 12 expansion, and any other insanely large thread that exists today.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Viking, if there was a black swan it was 1979-1985. We certainly can't view the whole LaVell era as a Black Swann. Here is a look at a MOV computer model ranking of BYU from 1975 - 2011. Post the black Swan era of 79-85 I don't think we can argue that Bronco's distribution of rankings looks worse (Crowton, yes, Bronco, no and the post 96 performance of LaVell wasn't that much better than Crowton):

Whatever innovative advantage LaVell created in the late 70s (whether it was the passing game or heavily recruiting polynesians first) ended in 85. Post 85 LaVell and Bronco don't look that different (in fact Bronco looks a a bit better but, of course, 2006-2009 may end up being Bronco's glory years).
                    Last edited by pelagius; 10-24-2013, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                      Viking, if there was a black swan it was 1979-1985. We certainly can't view the whole LaVelle era as a Black Swann. Here is the look at a MOV computer model ranking of BYU from 1975 - 2012. Post the black Swan era of 79-85 I don't think we can argue that Bronco's distribution of rankings looks worse (Crowton, yes, Bronco, no and the post 96 performance of LaVelle wasn't that much better than Crowton):

Whatever innovative advantage LaVelle created in the late 70s (whether it was the passing game or heavily recruiting polynesians first) ended in 85. Post 85 LaVell and Bronco don't look that different (in fact Bronco looks a a bit better but, of course, 2006-2009 may end up being Bronco's glory years).
                      That makes sense to me. LaVell reverted to the mean with the widespread adoption of his own offense. You should run the stats on # of passes attempted, passing TDs, passes completed, etc. from 1980-2001 to see if the data fits the LaVell reversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        I am starting to believe the stereotypes about BYU fans. A bunch of spoiled whiny crybabies.
                        You're out of your element, Lebowski.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Nice job of whining or did you just make a funny.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            Nice job of whining or did you just make a funny.
                            I am dead serious. Go read that U vs Y thread. It's an abomination. We lost a game we we were given ~53% odds of winning and you would think it is the end of civilization as we know it. Some posters were even wishing a violent death on our head coach The funny thing is, somebody was mocking the meltdown on CB. I can't imagine it was any worse than our meltdown.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Who is wishing death upon others?

I like to get my bitch and moan on after we lose, especially given the circumstances of Utah coming in to the game, but to wish ill will upon others seems pretty silly
                              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Working...
                              X