Go Fork Yourself, Sparky: Utes vs. The Sun Devils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Fork Yourself, Sparky: Utes vs. The Sun Devils

Page turned. On to what I think is the pivotal game on the Utes schedule. A win here sets us up for being competitive in the South, a loss, and the questions will linger, esp with USC and UCLA to follow.

ASU put a beatdown on Utah last year in Jon Hayes first game as a starter. The Devils are returning the fewest starters of any team in the Pac-12. Their WR corp, secondary, and special teams have as many questions as Utah's OLine. They have some talent at QB and are running a 2 qb system. They are using the same offense that Graham ran at Pitt last season. Utah dominated that game on the defensive end, but this year will be a tougher challenge given the athleticism on the ASU squad.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

What's wrong with my ASU thread that references a Beatles song?
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
      What's wrong with my ASU thread that references a Beatles song?
      Sorry, I thought I scrolled down far enough to check for any threads

ps. my title is better though
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
        ps. my title is better though
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

I'm hoping we don't have to punt

Comment

Liz Abel's release today:

QUICKLY
            > Utah (2-1, 0-0 Pac-12) begins Pac-12 Conference play this Saturday, playing Arizona State (2-1, 0-0 Pac-12) on Saturday, Sept. 22 in Tempe, Ariz. The game will kick off at 7 p.m. MST (8 p.m. MDT) in Sun Devil Stadium and will be televised nationally on the Pac-12 Network. Radio is ESPN700 AM (espn700sports.com) and SIRIUS/XM (132/190).
            > Utah trails the series with ASU 17-6 and has lost the last eight games, including the last six in Tempe. Until last year, the two teams had not met since 1993. See page 2 for complete series history.
            > While Utah has not beaten ASU in Tempe since 1976 when both teams were members of the Western Athletic Conference, the Utes did win the last time they played in Sun Devil Stadium, beating Pittsburgh in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl.
            > With last week’s 24-21 win over No. 25 Brigham Young,*Kyle Whittingham*improves to 8-8 against teams ranked in the AP Top 25.
            > Strong safety*Brian Blechen*will play for the first time this season after serving a three-game suspension for a violation of team rules. Starters who missed last week’s win over BYU but who are expected to play against ASU are running back*John White*and free safety*Eric Rowe.
            > Senior Ray Guy Award candidate*Sean Sellwood*is leading the nation in punt average for the second-straight week (48.88 yard average). Half of Sellwood’s 16 punts have been for 50 yards or longer and he now has 44 punts of 50+ yards in his career to rank third all-time at Utah.
            IN THE HUDDLE
            Utah has two players from Arizona and both are from the Phoenix area. Senior receiver*Luke Matthews*(Phoenix) and freshman offensive lineman*J.J. Dielman*(Ahwatukee)*both attended Desert Vista High School … For the second-straight season, Utah has lost starting quarterback*Jordan Wynn*to a shoulder injury. Wynn announced his retirement from football on Sept. l0 after suffering the fourth shoulder injury of his career against Utah State on Sept. 7 … Six Utes made their first career starts against BYU, including three freshmen. Getting their first starts as Utes were true freshman offensive tackle*Jeremiah Poutasi, redshirt freshman running back*Jarrell Oliver, redshirt freshman linebacker*LT Filiaga, junior tight end*Westlee Tonga, senior linebacker*Boo Andersen*and sophomore safety*Tyron Morris-Edwards*… Utah started two former walk-ons at safety vs. BYU:*Morris-Edwards*and*Quade Chappuis*… Two true freshmen have played for Utah this season: quarterback*Travis Wilson*and OL*Poutasi.
            TWO-MINUTE DRILL
            Jon Hays’*first career start came against ASU last year—a 35-14 Utah loss … Utah has not allowed a point in the third quarter … The offense’s best quarter is the third (34 points) … Dating back to last season, Utah is 9-0 when*John White*rushes for 100 yards …With White sidelined last week, the Utes netted just 49 yards on the ground, averaging 1.4 yards per carry … 15 players have caught passes for Utah this season … The defense has scored two touchdowns this season on an interception return by*Joe Kruger*and a fumble return by*Moe Lee.
            OUTSIDE THE LINES
            Utah’s win over BYU last week was its eighth in the last 11 games and its third-straight victory over the Cougars. The two teams meet in Provo next season before the rivalry takes a two-year hiatus. They will play in Salt Lake City in 2016 ... The Utes have sold out 14-straight games in 45,017-seat Rice-Eccles Stadium, including every game since 2010. Last week’s crowd of 45,653 for the BYU game was the sixth-largest in stadium history.
            UTE-TWEETS
            Kyle Whittingham’s*first career win came in Sun Devil Stadium against Pitt as the co-head coach of Utah’s 2005 Fiesta Bowl team #utes …*Whittingham*is 8-8 all-time vs. Pac-12 schools (4-5 as a member of the Pac-12) #utes … Utah’s 89 wins in the last 10 years is tied for 9th in the nation #utes*… Kyle Whittingham’s Coach’s Show on ESPN700 is Wednesday at 6 pm at Harmon’s City Creek & is open to the public #utes.
            LAST WEEK
            Utah beat No. 25 BYU 24-21 in a wild finish that saw the Cougars get three tries to tie the game after it appeared the game clock had expired. Utah entered the fourth quarter up 24-7 after scoring 17 points in the third quarter on a 48-yard field goal by*Coleman Petersen, a 47-yard fumble return by*Moe Lee*and a 39-yard touchdown pass between*Jon Hays*and*Dres Anderson. But the Cougars clawed back to within three (24-21). After punting the ball away with a 1:11 in regulation, Utah appeared to win the game when BYU’s pass fell incomplete and the game clock expired. But the officials put a 0:01 back on the clock and BYU attempted a 51-yard field goal, which was blocked by*Star Lotulelei. As fans poured on the field, officials called a foul, saying the ball was still live. The Utes were penalized 15 yards for the fan rush and BYU lined up for a 36-yard field goal. The kick hit the left upright and Utah finally escaped with a win.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

That is the first I've heard about JW4 and Rowe being "expected to play." Hope it's true.

Comment

Why are there two threads for this game? Get your crap together, Utes!
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

It's how we roll.

We rushed out and create another thread before the first one was completely finished.

I'm sure a third thread will appear after a long discussion about the second thread has taken place.

Comment

Working...
                  X