Luck or skill: Bronco's record in close games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luck or skill: Bronco's record in close games

I think YOhio is going to like this post. TopUte brought up Bronco's record in games decided by less than 7 points:

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
    No fan of any team that's 18-2 in their last 20 games decided by 7 points or less has any business calling another team lucky to win a particular game.
    PAC points out that this is not necessarily evidence of being lucky:

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Let me interrupt the current locker room towel fight with a serious question. How much does luck, relative to great coaching or other factors (choose your cliche', be it grit, determination, mojo), account for such a great outcome in close games? No doubt luck plays a part (certainly Crowton had very little of it), but I can't believe luck is the primary, or even a significant, element for such a record. Why is my belief unfounded?
    Moliere pointed out that 18-2 would be a low a very low probability outcome by random chance (what luck implies ... a 50/50 chance of winning close games). Moliere is right in isolation. The probability (in isolation) of going 18-2 or better (assuming no skill) is 0.02%. Moliere and PAC's intuitions are actually quite good but this issue has some complications. This situation is complicated by at least two potentially important first order issues:

1. There is plenty of empirical evidence in the cross-section about persistence in close game performance by coaches. There is very little evidence of persistence (consistent with luck). However, Indy does point out that there may be evidence that a small number of coaches have "close game" skill. We need to take that into account. I am going to take this issue into account and test whether we can say if Bronco's close game record is consistent with luck or skill based on his close game record given it appears to be a rare skill.

2. There are a host of statistics that might be interesting and reveal something about luck versus skill. But if those are not interesting or not in the tails of the distribution we tend to ignore them. If you look at enough different statistics one of them is likely to look like an outlier. I am not going to deal with this issue, but I think it is a bit less important here.

First, I am going to ignore some other issues. Not all close games are created equal. For example, games where a few points were scored late and closed the gap probably shouldn't be treated the same as games where the lead change back in forth. Issues like this could make Bronco's record less (as in the example) or more remarkable.

The big issue we need to take into account is that based on the empirical evidence, it is very unlikely that a coach is skilled in winning close games. How can we take this "prior" into account? The answer is we use Baye's rule.

Suppose only 1/100 coaches has "close game skill". Is Bronco's record inconsistent with luck given that or is this evidence that he is one of those 1 out of 100 coaches?

Setup:

Let P(U) = 0.99 ... This is our prior as a probability that Bronco is unskilled.

Let P(S) = 0.01 ... This is our prior as a probability that Bronco is skilled.

Now for the conditional probabilities:

P(W=18|U) = 0.00018 ... The probability that Bronco has a record of 18-2 conditional on being unskilled is 0.00018 (this comes directly from the probability of winning each game being 0.5).

No let's suppose that skilled coaches win 0.80 of their close games (we could have various degrees of skill but I don't think that would change things much). Given that, the following would be true:

P(W=18|S) = 0.1369 ... The probability that Bronco has a record of 18-2 conditional on being skilled

Using Bayes Rule:

P(U|W=18) = P(W=18|U)*P(U)/(P(W=18|U)*P(U) + P(W=18|S)P(S)) =

P(U|W=18) = 0.00018*0.99/(0.00018*0.99 + 0.1369*0.01) = 11.5%

P(S|W=18) = 0.1369*0.01/(0.00018*0.99 + 0.1369*0.01) = 88.5%

So based on the evidence and what I think is a reasonable set of parameters it looks like Bronco is likely a skilled close game coach.

What would change this conclusion? If you think "close game skill" in coaches is really rare (like a once in a generation thing).

Suppose only 1/1000 coaches has close game skill:

Let P(U) = 0.999 ... This is our prior as a probability that Bronco is unskilled.

Let P(S) = 0.001 ... This is our prior as a probability that Bronco is skilled.

P(U|W=18) = P(W=18|U)*P(U)/(P(W=18|U)*P(U) + P(W=18|S)P(S)) =

P(U|W=18) = 0.00018*0.999/(0.00018*0.999 + 0.1369*0.001) = 56.8%

P(S|W=18) = 0.1369*0.001/(0.00018*0.999 + 0.1369*0.001) = 43.2%

So as long as you don't believe "close game coaching skill" is incredibly rare (on the order of it is unlikely that any current coach has close game coaching skill but maybe a handful have had coaching skill in the history of time), then it is likely that Bronco is a skilled "close game" coach.

Note this doesn't mean that BYU didn't experience overall good luck during these games. Luck may have played some role.

In short, PAC was right.
    Last edited by pelagius; 09-11-2012, 05:32 PM.

Is this going to be on the final?

That asked, I'm impressed by the analysis and reminded again why Statistics was one of my lower grades during my MBA studies.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      I think YOhio is going to like this post. TopUte brought up Bronco's record in games decided by less than 7 points:

PAC points out that this is not necessarily evidence of being lucky:

Moliere pointed out that 18-2 would be a low a very low probability outcome by random chance (what luck implies ... a 50/50 chance of winning close games). Moliere is right in isolation. The probability (in isolation) of going 18-2 or better (assuming no skill) is 0.02%. Moliere and PAC's intuitions are actually quite good
      You could have stopped here
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

That asked, I'm impressed by the analysis and reminded again why Statistics was one of my lower grades during my MBA studies.
        Sorry this was so technical. If it helps, I simplified it as much I thought I could. Even though it is simplified it I think the inferences made from it would be the same as in a more complicated setup.

Comment

In short, PAC was right.
          Yes, but it doesn't matter, since pelagius has already given you a passing grade.

I'd say Bronco is truly lucky, because his clock management at the end of each half is atrocious. He's lucky that it didn't appear to matter.

Comment

Sorry this was so technical. If it helps, I simplified it as much I thought I could. Even though it is simplified it I think the inferences made from it would be the same as in a more complicated setup.
            No, I actually understood it and appreciated it. If I had nickel for every time I've heard "Let me dumb it down for you..", I'd have like seventeen dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
              I'd say Bronco is truly lucky, because his clock management at the end of each half is atrocious. He's lucky that it didn't appear to matter.
              Well, skill in this setup would be very general. So, for example, Bronco may excel at coaching the players to be mentally tough which may be very important late in games. That would be considered skill in this framework

Comment

In other words, if we assume that there are coaches that are good at winning close games, then a coach with a 18–2 record in close games has a decent chance of being one of those coaches?

Not your most profound analysis...
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  In other words, if we assume that there are coaches that are good at winning close games, then a coach with a 18–2 record in close games has a decent chance of being one of those coaches?

Not your most profound analysis...
                  Well, if you put it that way ...

Comment

No, I actually understood it and appreciated it. If I had nickel for every time I've heard "Let me dumb it down for you..", I'd have like seventeen dollars.
                    Sweet! When are we going out to lunch?
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      On a more serious note than my last reply. I would say that I think that as long as "skilled close game" coaches are as frequent as 1/100 there is a good quite good chance Bronco is one them. I know it was more extreme in my setup for supporting that notion but I think there are other reasonable parameterization where is wouldn't be as overwhelming.

Comment

On a more serious note than my last reply. I would say that I think that as long as "skilled close game" coaches are as frequent as 1/100 there is a good quite good chance Bronco is one them. I know it was more extreme in my setup for supporting that notion but I think there are other reasonable parameterization where is wouldn't be as overwhelming.
                        I'm teasing. I'm a numbers guy and I enjoyed the analysis. And I always love me some Bayes!
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Excellent. Another five star thread.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                              Prophetic?
                              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Working...
                              X