Tailgating at BYU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgating at BYU.

So we opted to tailgate off campus last night. We were on the NW corner of Job Services next to the Marriott. Didn't want to worry about stupid tailgate rules at BYU.

We had a satellite dish up, large screen TV, a couple of those 10x10 canopies you can get at Costco, and some good food.

Last night we made some jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon, bbq chicken legs, Colosemo brauts, and didn't get to the steaks. I found we were a little rushed for time. This being our first tailgate of the season, there were some things we forgot or need to do differently.

What kinds of foods do you like to BBQ at a tailgate? I'd love to get some recipes. We used mesquite wood chips in our BBQ which added a really great flavor to the foods we cooked.

We were walking on campus to the bookstore and were approached by a couple of WSU fans. They asked us where the "main" tailgating area was located. I said I didn't know.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      We were walking on campus to the bookstore and were approached by a couple of WSU fans. They asked us where the "main" tailgating area was located. I said I didn't know.
      poor guys. they didn't know what they were getting into.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        So we opted to tailgate off campus last night. We were on the NW corner of Job Services next to the Marriott. Didn't want to worry about stupid tailgate rules at BYU.

We had a satellite dish up, large screen TV, a couple of those 10x10 canopies you can get at Costco, and some good food.

Last night we made some jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon, bbq chicken legs, Colosemo brauts, and didn't get to the steaks. I found we were a little rushed for time. This being our first tailgate of the season, there were some things we forgot or need to do differently.

What kinds of foods do you like to BBQ at a tailgate? I'd love to get some recipes. We used mesquite wood chips in our BBQ which added a really great flavor to the foods we cooked.
        You should really come over to the RV lot. You should call to reserve a spot, but you don't have to have an RV. Consolidating as many of the good tailgaters as possible is the way to grow the gameday atmosphere in Provo.

The only troublesome rule I'm aware of for the RV lot would be the no charcoal rule. First, I saw several dutch ovens going in the RV lot last night. There is no policing of the policy. Second, I'm just going to bring a propane tank and set it next to my smoker. I doubt anyone is going to ask questions.
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

LOL You should have told them if that is what they are into they should have waited until they play at the U before coming to Utah to see a college game.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
            You should really come over to the RV lot. You should call to reserve a spot, but you don't have to have an RV. Consolidating as many of the good tailgaters as possible is the way to grow the gameday atmosphere in Provo.

The only troublesome rule I'm aware of for the RV lot would be the no charcoal rule. First, I saw several dutch ovens going in the RV lot last night. There is no policing of the policy. Second, I'm just going to bring a propane tank and set it next to my smoker. I doubt anyone is going to ask questions.
            how many people were there tailgaiting?
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

So was the RV lot full? One thing I like about our spot is the quick get away after the game. Seriously home in North Orem within 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                how many people were there tailgaiting?
                Not enough. We were there late and most people were taking down their stuff by the time we arrived. I counted 12 RVs in the lot. There was one very large tailgate that was mostly canopies (1 RV) - that cougar tailgating guy.
                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

So was the RV lot full? One thing I like about our spot is the quick get away after the game. Seriously home in North Orem within 20 minutes.
                  We stayed until the end of the game so some traffic had cleared out, but we had a straight shot out of the parking lot and half a block down to University, and were headed north. No problems getting out.

An advantage to the RV lot is that you aren't stuck with the bulk of the gameday traffic trying to exit the LES or MC lots.

Comment

I'm sure that really happened.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      I'm sure that really happened.
                      I promise it did. They were from Pittsburgh. They also were going to Iggy's to meet some friends. He asked if Iggy's was too far to walk. I told him yes.

sigpic

Comment

I parked on Canyon Road diagonally across the street from the RV lot. We arrived at the stadium around 5PM. The lot seemed only partially full but the setups for those that were there looked fun. I wonder if it will be better turnout when the game is on Saturday, not Thursday? Are you going down for the Weber?

sigpic

Comment

I parked on Canyon Road diagonally across the street from the RV lot. We arrived at the stadium around 5PM. The lot seemed only partially full but the setups for those that were there looked fun. I wonder if it will be better turnout when the game is on Saturday, not Thursday? Are you going down for the Weber?
                          I'm hoping the same thing. A weeknight game is probably a tough sell for the RVers. That's a lot of work if you aren't going to spend the night.

I'm definitely in for the tailgate next week. We'll head down after work on Friday and spend the night. I expect a better crowd for a weekend game, though it is Weber State.

Comment

As far as bbq, I'm going to be breaking in a new tailgating smoker. Right now the plan is for ABTs, DT's shrimp, and a couple tri-tips.

Comment

As far as bbq, I'm going to be breaking in a new tailgating smoker. Right now the plan is for ABTs, DT's shrimp, and a couple tri-tips.
                              I did feel rushed yesterday. We got there at 2:30. It took me a while to get the satellite set up because I hadn't done prep work ahead of time. I was down in Blanding all week on business, and drove back up yesterday. Everything seemed a little rushed, and we didn't even cook everything we had planned.

Not wanting to stay overnight, I think we need to get there before the game about 8 hours ahead to do everything we want. Next week's 1pm game means we're going to show-up at the crack of dawn and start with breakfast foods. Maybe we should re-watch the BYU/WSU game as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X